main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How Famous are the Big Three?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Obi-Wan_Jalopy, Mar 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi-Wan_Jalopy

Obi-Wan_Jalopy Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 17, 2005

I just finished (and enjoyed) Denning's Tatooine Ghost last night. One of the things I was struck by (and I did enjoy this) was how famous Han and Leia were in the years following the events depicted in the films. Essentially, in the novel, if they showed their face, they were recognized. This was true even though the adventure took place on Tatoonie, which is admittedly the home of the Skywalkers but is still an out-of-the-way planet. Han and Leia (and presumably Luke, too, who is not really in the book) were like GFFA rock stars. They couldn't go anywhere without being noticed.

This phenomenon seems to rise and fall depending on the EU author. In some books they are the most famous people in the galaxy, and can't go anywhere without being recognized. In other books (I am thinking of certain titles especially from the Bantam line) The Big 3 are able to work relatively anonymously, and even perform what might be called "undercover" work from time to time.

So, did the EU ever reach a consensus on how famous our heros are? Can they go out for dinner without signing autographs, or are they doomed to the kind of shut-in existence that only poor souls like Brad and Angelina could understand? ;-)

2. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    The implication is that everyone in the galaxy knows who they are but might not necessarily RECOGNIZE THEM if they were in person. This is a conceit that's basically born from the fact that even fans of a person might dismiss the fact they're right next to them (Corran Horn in I, Jedi and a fan of Rogue Squadron for example).

For example, I know Ashley Judd and she used to babysit me but at a party I didn't recognize her.

3. TheJediMan

TheJediMan Jedi Youngling star 2

May 1, 2005
    Well Corran was in disguise because he did not want to eb recognized. Remember he was going under a different name, had dyed his hair and grown a beard. Had he not changed his appearance he would have been recognized.

4. Callina

Callina Jedi Youngling star 1

May 15, 2005
    In TTT, when Karrde meets Luke after rescuing him from his crippled X-wing, Luke expresses surprise that Karrde recognizes him. Karrde's response is not, "Come on! You're Luke Skywalker! Your photograph is pasted all over the galaxy!" Instead, he points out that Luke is carrying a lightsaber and therefore must be either Luke Skywalker, last Jedi Knight, or someone with a taste for antiques and an intolerably high opinion of his swordmanship. So while knowledge of who Luke is seems to be widespread, most people would not, to borrow an old phrase, know him from Adam.

5. RogueWompRat

RogueWompRat Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 15, 2003
    Consider that many species might find humans to look very similar to each other (like Duros to us), and couldn't tell Luke or Han from any other similar looking male human.

6. Carnage04

Carnage04 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 8, 2005

I think I would liken it to how famous George Washington Et. Al. were after the Revolutionary war. I'm sure that people on the fringes of the American colonies had no idea what George Washington looked like, but they probably had heard tales (Most likely tales OVERLY exagerrated) about his heroics. He was pivotal in running out the "Evil British Empire" and creating a new government in the American society. Did this really affect the small time plantation owners in the western part of Virginia? Probably not. Did they care? Probably not. Did they know the name? Probably. I would say that the fringes of the galaxy were the same with the "Big Three".

Carnage

7. Teegirloo

Teegirloo Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 26, 2005
    Well im reading Specter of the Past and Luke say that he has a one of the most recognizable faces in the galaxy. So im thinking that all of them are very famous like movie stars are. They may not have screamming girls running after them but everybody and their grandma knows who they are.

8. Tiershon_Fett

Tiershon_Fett Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    I think they're too famous. It's hard to get things done with your posse and PR "people". It's kinda dumb because the military isn't famous, maybe in very high ranks but they aren't celebs.

The big three are like Jessica Simpson and whatever. I thought Luke being married as a televised event was ridiculous and flies in the face of everything a Jedi is supposed to be: Humble, discreet, low key and anonymous. I hated it to death. Union was the beginning of my true hate for Mara. She was cool before that. She (and Luke) only got much worse and more ridiculous in the NJO.

9. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

I probably wouldn't recognise Hamil and only Ford because I've seen a lot of his lacklustre movies. I laughed the Sith Lords out of my duracrete nappies first time with Fischer's The 'Burbs---

Oh, you meant a fictious sense? Well, Skywalker could have made a lot of money off that merchandise signing.

10. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    "I thought Luke being married as a televised event was ridiculous and flies in the face of everything a Jedi is supposed to be: Humble, discreet, low key and anonymous"

Tish, they had two weddings remember? The public one was for the galaxy's sake, to show the rift healing between the Rebels and Imperials. They didn't have much choice in the matter remember? ;) The Jedi Ceremony was private.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.