Lit How fast do you read?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by darkchrono, Jul 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darkchrono Jedi Master

star 4
    After reading through some of the threads and the times and dates the posts were made it seems that some people on here read through books in a mere two or three hours.

As for me when I am reading through a book even if I am enjoying it I will often put it down and not pick it up again for a month or more. I'll switch my interest to something else and will spend my free time doing that instead of finishing the book. It's not hard for me to read but I guess you'd say I have to really be in the mood to read in order to just keep on doing it.

It took me an entire year to finish the Hunger Games trilogy because I would just read for a day or two and put it down and not touch the book again for a month or two. I bought the first two comendiums of The Walking Dead comic book on March 31st (and I really enjoy it) but I still have probably a good couple hundred pages left in just the first compendium.
  2. Weston Jedi Youngling

It varies with what I feel like reading I can sometimes read 5 books in 2 1/2 weeks or if its a book that has some dragging points (Heir to the Empire *ducks for cover* I'm only 180 pages into it and I started it 2 weeks ago) it can take up to 2 weeks to even a month.
  3. CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight

star 4
    It really depends on my interest. As for actual reading speed, I'd say I'm pretty fast, but sometimes, like you, my interest wanes and I get bored.
    Alixen likes this.
  4. Alixen Jedi Master

star 4
    As previous posters have noted, it depends. I once read Fellowship of the Ring in a night, and more recently finished Shadow of Mindor in an afternoon. However, generally I take a few days, such as with Darth Plagueis and a recent reread of Shatterpoint and Medstar 1. I read the first third of the Bible in several nights. So, at my fastest? A full sized paperback in around 6-8 hours.

Sadly, these days my attention span and focus isn't what it was, so a book really has to grip me (like those mentioned) for me to even get through it. I find myself picking up a dvd, graphic novel or game in my leisure time these days. I tend to pick up a paperback, read a page, sigh, and but the bookmark back. I received my paperback copy of Kenobi a few days back, and despite liking it (and hearing people rave about how good it is) still haven't gotten past the first chapter.
    Last edited by Alixen, Jul 31, 2014
  5. anakinfansince1983 Nightsister of Four Realms

Manager
    star 9
    Anywhere between one and five chapters a day. It depends on how much time I have, how interesting the book is and how tired I am.
  6. stung4ever Jedi Master

star 3
    Depends on if I've had Taco Bell. ;)

But generally between half a week and a week and half, depending on how long and how good the book is.
  7. darkchrono Jedi Master

star 4
    I bought 'Rise of the Governor' and 'Road to Woodbury' (it's sequel) a couple weeks ago and I am almost through with the first book. For me that is a lot of reading.
  8. Darth_Foo Jedi Master

star 4
    I do most of my reading during breaks at work so a normal sized books will take me about 2-3 weeks.
  9. DarthJenari Jedi Master

star 4
    Somewhere, within the depths of this forum, there's a thread for this. I remember it.

How fast I read varies based on what I have to do that day, my interest in what i'm reading, and my desire to finish it. I read Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince (652 pages) over the course of...17 hours I believe, years ago when it came out. That's of course counting bathroom breaks, eating, and the occasional video game downtime. (Along with a trip to Walmart) That was a book I was fairly interested in, but it also made me think about different concepts about the Harry Potter world, so i'd sit and think sometimes for however long. I read Paradise Snare a few weeks ago and finished it in an afternoon, but The Hutt Gambit took me about three days, and Rebel Dawn took me weeks. Any book of course not only has to be something i'm interested in (Star Wars for example) but it has to be well written as well and not make me put the book down and wonder if this is real life or not. (Denning)

I'm actually interested now to see how fast I could read various books. [face_thinking]
    Last edited by DarthJenari, Jul 31, 2014
  10. Zeta1127 Jedi Master

star 5
    I read Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix nonstop in about a day when I first got the opportunity to read it all those years ago.
  11. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Lucasfilm Ltd Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    Depends on the book. If it's fiction I can read pretty fast. If it's something like science-based nonfiction then I'll read slower as there is more to absorb. Usually I can do something light like a SW book in a few hours.
  12. Zorrixor Force Ghost

star 6
    Sloooooooooooooooowly.

Really, I can read very, very fast, but I read fiction so painfully slowly it honestly frustrates me, but I like to take my time, imagining all the places, the voices, the sounds, the smells, the tastes... it means I've barely ever read anything twice, due to normally remembering exactly what page something I liked was on, but it does make me a very slow reader when it comes to books I enjoy. Even for a short paperback, it probably takes me anywhere between 10 to 15 hours, as I can spend as long as two minutes each page if it's visually heavy and not just a bunch of dialogue that can be quickly skimmed through.

The mind-numbingly boring garbage* I had to read for my degree I probably blasted through in an afternoon, but I never like doing that for books I genuinely want to immerse myself in.

*apologies, when I say "garbage" I mean, "high works of literary value", yes, yes, and not "garbage" at all, no, no, no, I would never call them that**, never, not at all.

**nah, really, they were garbage.
    Last edited by Zorrixor, Aug 1, 2014
  13. DigitalMessiah Chosen One

star 6
    Back when I was excited about SW novels I would finish them within two or three hours in one sitting.

The last one I read (new) was Kenobi and I finished that over the course of a few days. Probably a combined three or four cumulative hours. Prior to that, I think, was Scoundrels which I probably spread out even longer.
    CT-867-5309 likes this.
  14. CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight

star 4
    Actually, what I think it really depends on is whether I have an internet connection. If I have none, I once read a 700 page book in the course of 36 hours.
  15. GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin + Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Administrator
    star 10
    Depends on how much I like it (eg whether I want to get it over with, can't stand it, can't wait to finish, or enjoy and want to prolong it).

So it can be anything from a matter of hours to something prolonged for ages.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.
    Revanfan1 and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  16. CT-867-5309 Force Ghost

star 6
    Yeah, I'm all over the place, too.

I often intentionally stop a reading session to stretch out the enjoyment over a few days, and to let what I've read sink in.

Something boring like Children of the Jedi or Planet of Twilight can take a week or more because I just can't force myself to read more than about fifty pages at a time.

A few years ago I was terribly sick and blew through the Darth Bane trilogy over a weekend spent mostly on the toilet. (thanks Karpy!)

I got through Shadow Hunter pretty quick, and I could hardly hold myself back reading Outbound Flight, I just wanted to see what crazy **** C'baoth would say next.

I try to savor Stover as much as I can, but at the same time I can't put it down.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous can be a bit slow going early on, but once Yoda actually sets out on the mission that book consumes me.

The Han Solo Trilogy (Daley) is a pulpy breeze, but I found Land's trilogy to be torturous at times.

The Tales novels are usually a breeze, even the weaker stories. That's kinda why I'm so fond of them, they're so easy to pick up and put down. I'd love more, maybe for the ST, but it's such an outdated thing.

The pace of the NJO is interesting. Some can be devoured, others savored, and Force Heretic is like climbing Everest. Overall it's a real joy.

I could never do this. Even if I put a book down for a month, I'd start all over again to refresh my memory.

I don't pick up a book unless I'm motivated to read it, and once I start I'm committed to finishing it in a timely manner.

Not that I don't let things collect dust for a while, I did that with both Knight Errant and Plagueis, they both sat on my shelf for like a year. Blew through Knight Errant, and once I shook myself out of my apathy for Plagueis I finished it in a couple days, despite a rather dull first 150 pages.
    Last edited by CT-867-5309, Aug 1, 2014
  17. KarrdeFan Jedi Knight

Mine really just depends on time. I have a chance every day on my lunch break to read, so get around half hour to 45 minutes a day to read and depending on the book, will read anywhere from 30 to 60 pages, depending on plot, how well the book flows, and even size of the print. I then read off and on in the evenings and weekends while at home but it all depends on interaction with my family and how much I get interrupted by my wife and kids and anything else going on. With all that, I tend to read a book that is around 300 to 350 pages in a week and anything over that can take can take another few days. Depending on what I read in a given year, I can read roughly a book a week at this pace as some books I read in a few days. I read the NJO last year over 19 weeks, which was a bit shocking.
    Revanfan1 and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  18. anakinfansince1983 Nightsister of Four Realms

Manager
    star 9
    My reading time has definitely been different since I had kids. But now that they're big enough to play independently, I get reading time in at the park or pool.

As much as I have enjoyed quite a few Star Wars books, Traitor and the ROTS novelization were the only ones that I had a hard time putting down. I can easily read a chapter or two of other good ones and then come back later or the next day.
    KarrdeFan likes this.
  19. sharkymcshark Jedi Knight

star 3
    Generally unless I'm fulled gripped by whatever I'm reading I do 20 minutes a day of reading to help pass the time (and distract me from the pain) while doing interval stuff on my exercise bike.

So far the things I couldn't put down have been the second half of Death Star (and odd choice I know, but as it started to align with ANH I found it quite compelling), any of the Alston X-Wing books and the Black Fleet Crisis.

Doing this it generally takes me about 20 days to get through a book.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.