main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion How good will Ep. VII be?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Julius Vernon, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Julius Vernon

Julius Vernon Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    I for one have extremely high hopes. I will go in as much as possible (like Jedi Merkurian) with an open mind, though I'm admittedly biased and my expectations are very high.

Here's what I'm expecting for my SW rankings to be after this film:

Ep. V
    Ep. IV
    Ep. VII
    Ep. III
    Ep. VI
    Ep. I
    Ep. II

I'm expecting something better than the Avengers, Star Trek, Matrix, the Batman films, etc.

Echo-07 and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  2. Lord Tuvitor

Lord Tuvitor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 27, 2003
    I expect a fun movie with explosions, X-Wings, TIE Fighters, lightsaber duels, the Millennium Falcon, and a continuation of the good versus evil theme of the Saga so far.

I'm not expecting Oscars here. Hell, I'm not even expecting a cringe-free movie here... I still fear the mistakes they will make 'for the kids'.

For me, I'm hoping for an 8/10 at least (on par with ROTJ on my scale) but for all I know the story may involve Gungan padawans, Ewok supercommandos, and more trade disputes.

kataja and Episode Swag like this.
  3. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Impossible to know. One of the sad things about Phantom Menace was that word got out early about just how bad it was going to be:

- The fears over Jar Jar started with the trailers and "Youza sayin people gonna die?"

-The published script came out before the movie and then people who knew anything about anything could tell that the story was a disaster.

-Finally, Lucas with his immense generosity did an advanced charity screening so that word about how awful the movie was escaped into the internet ahead of opening day.

Those were mistakes he didn't repeat with AOTC, which was even worse.

I thought Hobbit was bulletproof. How could Jackson possibly screw that up? Anything's possible. You never can tell.

The only thing it almost certainly won't be is a cinematic masterpiece. Lightning really doesn't ever strike twice in the same spot.

Dra--- likes this.
  4. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I am hoping it will be better than the PT, but I don't see it being better than the OT

kataja and Dra--- like this.
  5. Jedi Dragon D

Jedi Dragon D Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    If I know, I could be a billionaire right now betting my life on it!

6. BizAOK

BizAOK Jedi Master star 1

Nov 5, 2001
    Wow, I think you're on crack! We know nothing about the bad guys - you know, the whole conflict, the reason the events in the universe are worth chronicling for three films in the first place - and you are already deciding the movie will be better than some of the best action/adventure/popcorn films of the last decade & a half?

Of all its sins, I think perhaps the greatest of The Phantom Menace is just right there in the name - the evil was lurking from far away. So rather than an up-close-and-personal confrontation, we had heroes battling worthless battle droids. I wouldn't trust those things to process my fast food order, let alone destroy my enemy. Yet there they were, just waiting to be whacked again and again for 130 minutes. And our opinion of the film's heroes was lessened from start to finish right along with them, too.

My point? If the foil of our heroes in Ep7 is just as ridiculously un-scary as we saw in Ep1, I see no reason for optimism.
    Its just too soon to know what we're getting, like Jabbadabbado said.

Dra--- likes this.
  7. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    As long as it's not on par with Episode I then I will be happy. I'm not gonna go into this with super high hopes but with the people involved have good credentials and that is a very good start.

8. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    And maybe it happened that way because budget and technology were allowed to drive the story. Lucas was cheap with his own effects budget. An army of identical droids vs. an army of identical storm troopers made the whole prequel project easier to animate and viable for incorporating more all-CGI shots on a reasonable budget.

9. Darth EL Pollo Loco

Darth EL Pollo Loco Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 27, 2013
    it will be this good

[​IMG]

Sitara and aguywithabiggun like this.
  10. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    From all of the footage they've released so far, I am starting to think the finished product will be very well handled...

11. Julius Vernon

Nov 7, 2012
    No need for personal insults.

We do know some important information:
    • Lucas wrote the story (that's his strength).
    • Arndt is a grade A screenwriter.
    • Disney invested over $4B in this thing and they have to get Ep. VII right to net a return.
    • Abrams is a solid director with a background in imitating previous direction and success in re-energizing a franchise.
    I for one will be disappointed if it doesn't surpass most sci-fi and comic book films (Avengers included). Of course it's too early to tell how good it is going to be that's why I'm asking about expectations.

12. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    In between the PT and the OT in quality.

So pretty damn glorious.

Echo-07 and Julius Vernon like this.
  13. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Actually this is an urban myth- it happens. Though it helps if the spot is a lightning rod :p

14. Julius Vernon

Nov 7, 2012
    You are probably right. But look at Ep. V and Ep. IV. Look at Godfather II and Godfather I. It can happen.

With that said, I don't expect Lawrence of Arabia here, but I do think it can be amazing and one of the best sequels ever made.

15. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    I think it will be about as good as Star Trek Into Darkness

16. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Right now I give the whole team of LFL/Disney a whopping A+ on everything they've done thus far.

- Arndt is a "small writer" in that he hasn't written alot of HUGE genre stories. He has written great character driven stories.
    - Lawrence Kasdan co-wrote the BEST SW Episode IMO TESB. He worked on Jedi as well and brings alot of SW experience. However I still can't believe he is only a "consultant" while we have George and Simon Kinberg. I believe the other K & K are working episodes 8 & 9 as we speak.
    - And of course JJ Abrams. IF JJ only kicks off the new era it is still a great choice. He is a HUGE fan and will work extra-hard to make sure it is "right." I just can't give enough credit to Kathleen for these moves.

Now, barring a "reboot" with a whole new group of actors for the BIG 3 roles, I expect this:

17. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    Odds are it will be on pair with Episode VI is my guess.

18. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    I've always thought that Episode VII should be about the Endor Apocalypse, a doomsday adventure in which a misfit band of battle-worn ewoks fight for survival as chunks of the Death Star II rain down on them, and the ensuing firestorm turns their forest world to ash.

19. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Better than Sucker Punch, not as good as Cloud Atlas.

20. BizAOK

Nov 5, 2001
    C'mon, buddy. There wasn't one thing personally insulting in what I said.

I feel like I've just been Brent Musburger'd !

21. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    "Wow, I think you're on crack!"

Not the most diplomatic of phrasing.

22. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Personally, I'm very optimistic. I think hiring Michael Arndt was absolutely brilliant and of course having George Lucas as a consultant and writing the treatments is great because it means it is still his story. Bringing in Lawrence Kasdan to help with the script is another bridge to the past films which I think can only strengthen Arndt's work. While J.J. wasn't my first choice I can't help but get excited when I hear KK talking about how she convinced him and I'm becoming more confident that he was the right choice. Even KK and Abrams comments that they may delay the 2015 release date if necessary (as much as that would suck) shows me that they are fully committed to making the best movie they can and a truly great part of the overall saga. Yes, I am very optimistic that it will be great!

23. BizAOK

Nov 5, 2001
    Clearly you could tell that was chummy, friendly banter, right? I do not actually believe he is on crack. Just having some inclusive fun with a fellow eager fan while we await (actual) movie news.

Man, when did this board turn into Germany?

24. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Ja, Star Wars Sieben groß sein!

25. MakingStarWars

MakingStarWars Jedi Master star 4

Oct 20, 2008
    I'm not going to tell you how good Episode VII will be. I don't have to.

Julius Vernon likes this.