main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How hard would it be?

Discussion in 'Archive: Scifi 3D Forum' started by Rebel Scumb, Apr 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rebel Scumb

Rebel Scumb Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 22, 1999
    I'm going to be polishing up my fan edit of AOTC this summer and I was considering adding in some new FX shots.

One thing I was curious about was the idea of adding in a missle that strikes the Naboo cruiser at the beginning causing the explosion that kills Padme's decoy

Zam Wessel refers to it as "hitting the ship", and putting a bomb inside then waiting till the ship lands to detonate it doesn't make any sense.

I thought it might cool to show a missle scream at the ship and enter the opening blowing it up, and maybe a quick shot of Zam's speeder zooming away into the fog.

at the very least, how hard would it be to comp a CGI missle into the existing shot?

I'd also be interested to have Grievous inserted into the battle of geonosis

2. MasterBond

MasterBond Jedi Youngling

Apr 22, 2005
    It wouldn't seem to difficult to me, but I of course am not a modeler.

Grievious on the other hand might be a challenge.

3. Red-2

Red-2 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2004
    not hard at all, the actual modeling of the missle and smoke for the trail wont be that bad..

hard part is gonna be comping it. i suck at comping it

search for user

pixelmagic

ask him for his tutorial on lighting

4. Crunchy

Crunchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    Zam actually planted a bomb on the landing platform, and she waited till she saw that it was Padme' (later known as the decoy) that was exiting the ship.

Man, I can't believe no one here knew that...

5. Jedi2016

Jedi2016 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    Crunchy posted on 5/1/05 11:45am
    Zam actually planted a bomb on the landing platform, and she waited till she saw that it was Padme' (later known as the decoy) that was exiting the ship.

Man, I can't believe no one here knew that...
    [hr][/blockquote]

Makes you wonder, don't it? And here's this person who doesn't even know what happens in the film that thinks he can make it better than the original. Puleeze.

I actually had a whole response all written up.. seems it got deleted by someone who thought I was being a bit harsh. Which is true. I think the whole idea behind the "fan edit" is totally rediculous.

6. Jedi_Kyeju

Jedi_Kyeju Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2003
    How would Zam have planted a bomb under the ship if the explosion came from INSIDE the ship?

7. Cryptite_

Cryptite_ Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 1, 2004
    I was about to agree with you Kyeju, but then I realized, if she did place a charge on the platform below the ship, it's not out of the range of possibility that the explosion, once ripped through the bottom of the hull, shot throught it's halls and thus, out of the loading bay where the actors left.

8. -OC-

-OC- Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 23, 2004
    I just think you guys are asking your-self too many questions. Ok, repeate after me : "It's a movie, it's not real."

9. Rebel Scumb

Feb 22, 1999
    Perhaps this is a geeky thing to say, but then we're in a starwars forum so I guess we're all geeks already :p

But even in a fantasy film there still has to be an internal reality. Otherwise I could argue its fine for Padme to suddenly start shooting lasers out of her eyes during the arena battle. Its just a movie right? LOL :p

"Zam actually planted a bomb on the landing platform, and she waited till she saw that it was Padme' (later known as the decoy) that was exiting the ship.

Man, I can't believe no one here knew that..."

Then why does the ship blow up from the inside? There's nothing coming from underneath.

"Makes you wonder, don't it? And here's this person who doesn't even know what happens in the film that thinks he can make it better than the original. Puleeze."

I love the high and mighty tone you take on :p
    I understand the movie just fine.

Where does it indicate that there was a bomb on the landing platform? I don't know anyone who knew that.

Was it in the novel?

"I actually had a whole response all written up.. seems it got deleted by someone who thought I was being a bit harsh. Which is true. I think the whole idea behind the "fan edit" is totally rediculous."

Well how is it any different from fanfilms or fanfiction? Or making costumes and CG models for that matter?

What is the line between acceptable fan manipulation and use of SW materials and what is not?

I like editing, its fun to play around with footage from other movies between projects, what difference does it make if nobody is ever going to see it besides me?

10. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    I don't want to get into the middle of all this, but let's just remember that everyone creates or alters the Star Wars Universe in their own unique way.

11. Jedi2016

Jedi2016 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    Rebel Scumb posted on 5/3/05 3:02am

Well how is it any different from fanfilms or fanfiction? Or making costumes and CG models for that matter?
    [hr][/blockquote]

Simple. Those things you mentioned are created from scratch. You, you're just ****ing up someone else's work. I ask again, what makes you think YOU can edit the film better than George did?

12. George Mezori SCIFI 3D

George Mezori SCIFI 3D Scifi 3D Forum star 4 VIP

Sep 10, 1999
    Yea... this is all pretty pointless... unless somebody wants to talk about the finer points of the movie. I think there was some dialogue somewhere about a bomb on the platform. I'm not sure where I got that impression though. But I think this is all far less interesting than... Gen. Grievous history, the relationship between Anakin and Palpatine, and Vader and the Emperor, etc.

13. -OC-

-OC- Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 23, 2004
    It's true, we are all geeky. I'm a geek, I've got a binary watch (but I don't wear it a lot, because after I had 6 beers, it doesn't work anymore, don't know why)

Zoo is right, maybe there is a small mistake here, but it's just a small detail in the story that almost nobody noticed. Same, you says padme shoots lasers from her eyes, maybe, but I never watched the film frame by frame so I've never noticed that.
    If you wanted to fix every bugs in starwars, you would have to start with the old trilogy, there are many in there.

And finally I also agree with Jedi2016, about everything he said. I don't think modifying a the original movie is the best way to show how much you like it.
    MVerta, on scifi-meshes forum is also doing a kind of fan edit, but it's different, he is trying, with the new dvd, and laserdisc, to recreate the same best picture as possible. this is crasy and he has been doing a very good job so far. I know, it's also a fan edit, but he is not try to alter the content of the film, he doesn't add or remove anything

14. Rebel Scumb

Feb 22, 1999
    Well in my case its more about bringing AotC which I rate as about a 4/10 closer to the standard set by the other four films which are all awesome. I give ROTJ and TPM 9/10 each, ANH 10/10 and ESB 11/10. I'm improving AotC in a subjective way, for my own personal use. Tightening the focus, losing all the fluff, adding in some deleted scenes, etc. I'm not doing it to impress anyone. Heck nobody is really going to see it. Its just for my own use, and more just as an exercise in editing then anything else. AotC is very easy to re-edit because it has so many scenes that have no baring on the overall story and can be removed without disrupting the plot. Also each scene takes place in a new setting so its very easy to cut and move things around. Most movies aren't like that, including the other SW films.

Lucas himself had to make the IMax cut of AOTC 20min shorter and alot of people said it was waaaay better then the real cut. The mere fact that you can successfully cut 20min says something to me. Try cutting 20min out of ANH or ESB. It wouldn;t work, almost every minute serves a purpose, there is little to no fluff.

"Simple. Those things you mentioned are created from scratch."

No its not. Its just emulating something that already exists.

"You, you're just ***king up someone else's work. I ask again, what makes you think YOU can edit the film better than George did?"

Well without having seen my cut I'm not sure your in a position to say I'm '****ing it up'. I posted my EDL last year and a lot of people thought it sounded good. Either way, I'm not detracting from Mr.Lucas work. Its not like by making an altercut all the billions of starwars dvds will turn to dust. That phantom editor guy did that cut of TPM and tried to be all splashy in the media (I dont find his cut to be particularly good personally, but then I like TPM) and it didn't make a lick of difference. What am I compared to the titan of Hollywood that is George Lucas? A grain of sand, a speck of lint. Your getting uppity for no reason. It would be like me saying making models of Xwings and stardestroyers is a waste of time because you're just mimicing the awesome work done by ILM when you could be doing something original.

But I don't think that because 1) I'm nice and 2)I'm a starwars fan, and I understand that part of that is knowing the innards of how the films were made and wanting to play in that sandbox of Mr.Lucas' toys. I do it my own way, if fan edits aren't your thing then no biggy. But lets not walk around judging each other, or splitting hairs on what is okay and what isn't. Its ludicrous.

"But I think this is all far less interesting than... Gen. Grievous history, the relationship between Anakin and Palpatine, and Vader and the Emperor, etc."

I agree. I would never go to all that trouble to change that one thing. I have other cuts that are much more important, and I'd be interested in adding General Grievous to the battle of Geonosis if some animator was up for the task. But I figured if I was going to muck around with it, might as well go all out.

Besides, I think it would be good to introduce Zam properly since she's the only SW character who we cut to spontaneously without any linking character.

Its been the SW style from day one to meet new characters through previously established characters. But we jsut sort of cut to Zam abruptly. Its hardly a cinematic trainwreck, its normal in most films, but I've always admired SW unique way of introducing new characters to the fold, and thought that would be an interesting thing to add into the opening sequence.

anyways, this clearly seems to anger a lot of people and that was not my intent. If I offend you then I'm sorry for doing so.

15. HowardFilms

HowardFilms Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 18, 2005
    I would be sure I knew everything that was happening in III before I went back to II to make it connect more. That's just me.

16. Rebel Scumb

Feb 22, 1999
    yeah I'm waiting till I see 3 before I nail down my final EDL.

17. HowardFilms

HowardFilms Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 18, 2005
    Good thinking.

18. Rebel Scumb

Feb 22, 1999
    Thats why I'm the director ;)

Al-ways thinking!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.