main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

how has star wars tcg does sales-wise? any chance decipher will re-claim the license?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: CCG, TCG, and Boardgames' started by peasulroo, Apr 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peasulroo

peasulroo Jedi Youngling

Apr 15, 2004
    how has the tcg done sales-wise?

is there a chance decipher will be able to print star wars ccg cards again? if there's a chance, what probability is it that decipher would re-claim the license to make star wars ccg cards again? 10% or what?

2. Shewski

Shewski Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 2002
    -10000000%

WOTC has the license for the next decade or so, very unlikely that D will want to buy a game that lost major exposure so long ago.... plus they were ruining it anyways. The PC is doing a much better job, IMO.

3. Bacabachaui

Bacabachaui Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    While not a bestseller, the TCG is not doing bad, especially considering the glut of the market for both the SW genre and CCGs/TCGs in general.

4. Artie-Deco

Artie-Deco Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 23, 2001
    The PC is doing a better job than Decipher? Decipher was ruining the game? Ehhh, I would have to disagree with you on those two points.

5. Red84

Red84 SWCCG Content Mgr. (Card Games) star 4 VIP

Oct 20, 2000
    I'd have to agree with Artie..sorta.

The PC is doing as good a job as Decipher did. Personally, I think the PC could do a better job reaching out to the mainstream Star Wars fanbase. Hopefully the Flight Leader program will make better strides in that department.

I'd have to ask for more clarification on how you think Decipher was ruining the game, and what you would've done instead. If it's the common player vs. gaming company reasons though.. well there's no reason to debate that since players will always be critical of the company that "ruins" their decks and strategies :)

6. peasulroo

peasulroo Jedi Youngling

Apr 15, 2004
    what's the flight leader program?

7. Shewski

Shewski Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 2002
    Ruining it mainly in the sense of rushed, poorly tested ideas and concepts like the Ep1 sets in general. I'm not shouldering any huge grudge towards D, but they created enough bad in the last few expansions to keep the PC busy with creating helpers/bullets etc... =)

8. ig-812

ig-812 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 15, 2004
    i'd be surprised if the tcg is doing half the sales that the ccg did in its prime.
    - (arguably around the release of jabba's palace.)
    i've never played the tcg, but i won't buy it anytime soon.
    too much money and time spent on the ccg to up and switch to the tcg.

9. Artie-Deco

Aug 23, 2001
    Ruining it mainly in the sense of rushed, poorly tested ideas and concepts like the Ep1 sets in general. I'm not shouldering any huge grudge towards D, but they created enough bad in the last few expansions to keep the PC busy with creating helpers/bullets etc... =)

Well, the key word there is "rushed". Expansions are planned over a long period of time, the development even overlaps (one expansion is in final testing stages while another expansion is being designed). Once the final decision was made that Decipher was losing the license and a date was set, the clock started ticking. All of the expansions Decipher had planned, even if they were in the very early stages of development, *had* to be completed before that date. Plus, in order to get even more backstock out the door before the end date, a third Reflections set was thrown together, making the last year of Decipher's Star Wars license even more chaotic!

Yes, the last three or four expansions (coincidentally all involving Episode I environment) were probably rushed out the door without the same level of playtesting earlier sets had received. But if they hadn't been rushed, they wouldn't have made it out the door at all, and that, in my humble opinion, would have been far, far worse! For all the stuff that people grumble about the Episode I sets, there are a lot of really good things about them, too. The "good" in those sets do outweigh the "bad", IMO.

10. Artie-Deco

Aug 23, 2001
    i'd be surprised if the tcg is doing half the sales that the ccg did in its prime.
    - (arguably around the release of jabba's palace.)

Yeah, it is arguable to call Jabba's Palace the "prime" of Star Wars CCG. :)

I think you're right, but as Bacca points out there are other factors to consider:

1) The TCG *is* probably doing better than Young Jedi did in its prime, and is *definitely* doing better than Jedi Knights ever did....

2) The CCG/TCG landscape has changed dramatically since D lost the SW license.

3) The value of the SW franchise as a whole has gone down since Episode I.

Given factors 2 and 3, it really is hard to say how SW:CCG would fare today.

11. ig-812

Feb 15, 2004
    Yeah, it is arguable to call Jabba's Palace the "prime" of Star Wars CCG.

just out of curiosity, what would you consider the ccg's prime to be?

12. Red84

Oct 20, 2000
    IF LFL allowed D to make use of the EU material like D is allowed to make use of the Lord of the Rings book material, the CCG would be solidly #2 for a long time. The Yuuzhan Vong alone offers a second "Dark Side option" which would be quite revolutionary, and the Light Side would get New Republic-icon cards much like the Dark Side has Trade Federation.

And if the books are not an option, there's always the video game material. There's plenty of cutscenes by now to make a card expansion from. Besides, I always wanted Darktroopers :D And there's also the Clone Wars cartoons (officially making Mace Windu the #1 Light Side character to have in every deck!).

And then there's the Star Wars TV show that is more than likely coming post-Episode III.

So based on that, I think it's quire wasy to predict where the Star Wars CCG would be.

13. Q99213

Q99213 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 3, 2001
    I'm personally having a very hard time finding any TCG in my area. Target is the only place to get it, and they usually get 15 packs every two weeks or so, which really sucks.

14. DOUGRED4

DOUGRED4 Jedi Master

Feb 19, 2002
    Red84 wrote:

>>IF LFL allowed D to make use of the EU material like D is allowed to make use of the Lord of the Rings book material, the CCG would be solidly #2 for a long time. The Yuuzhan Vong alone offers a second "Dark Side option" which would be quite revolutionary, and the Light Side would get New Republic-icon cards much like the Dark Side has Trade Federation.

And if the books are not an option, there's always the video game material. There's plenty of cutscenes by now to make a card expansion from. Besides, I always wanted Darktroopers And there's also the Clone Wars cartoons (officially making Mace Windu the #1 Light Side character to have in every deck!).

And then there's the Star Wars TV show that is more than likely coming post-Episode III.

So based on that, I think it's quire wasy to predict where the Star Wars CCG would be.<<

I totally disagree. I think using those expanded universe things (just about all of those mentioned above) would have ruined the game. I personally think it would have driven a huge chunk of fans away, if it wasn't done carefully. I personally like some of what has been done, and think Decipher used the *quality* stuff (Zahn and Stackpole's stuff, mainly), and am very glad they never "ruined" it with much of the very silly stuff that Lucasfilm has allowed.

15. Red84

Oct 20, 2000
    How so, Doug? How else does the game grow outside of the movies?

16. Artie-Deco

Aug 23, 2001
    just out of curiosity, what would you consider the ccg's prime to be?

Oh, that's hard to say, and completely subjective. I wasn't involved in the game from the very beginning. Everyone is going to have their favorite expansions. My tongue-in-cheek comment was mainly from the perspective that I've never heard anyone say Jabba's Palace was their favorite expansion.... ;)

Personally, I think the period between Endor and Reflections II was the "prime" of SW:CCG.

17. ig-812

Feb 15, 2004
    jp wasn't my favorite expansion. i just think the ccg's prime was around
    its release, probably closer to the release of endor. it just seems,
    at least in my area, that stores started carrying less of the ccg after endor.

just for the record, cloud city is my favorite expansion. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.