main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT How have people who troll the prequels affected your love of the movies?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by OBI WAN37, Jul 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tackelberry

Tackelberry Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 28, 2014

HC is a good actor. He was great in his other films, and he was good in Star Wars. The thing with the PT isn't the acting, it's the directing. In BTS videos, George doesn't really do a good job getting across what he wants for the scenes, and even in some instances, there are better takes than the ones used in the films. Now, are the PT films terrible because of it? No. Far from it. But the actor portrayal wasn't necessarily the fault of the actor.

I like Agents of Shield :(

2. Tackelberry

Sep 28, 2014
    double post

3. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    i watch Agents of Shield, i'm just saying it isn't great. It's mostly people standing around in dark rooms talking.

4. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I'd rather watch actual trade disputes. Which, note, TPM never delivered.

Andy Wylde, darskpine10 and maychild like this.
  5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah, I'll take any of the political scenes in the PT. At least the PT did not have pet characters.

Andy Wylde, Cyreides and maychild like this.
  6. maychild

maychild Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 16, 2013
    No. In fact, Lucas didn't shy away from showing his characters doing bad things, which we were supposed to see as bad things, not as "kewl."

Many people complained that in the PT, it's not clear who is a good guy and who is a bad guy, specifically when it comes to the clones. Also, the Jedi aren't flawless heroes but distant and unemotional and often uncaring. That's the point. The Jedi brought their downfall on themselves, at least in part, because of their arrogance and so forth. And the clones aren't meant to be good or bad, they're simply obedient to whoever is commanding them, which was what they were created for.

And I've watched the PT many times, but I have yet to see the excessive "political talk" that we're supposed to think permeates it. There's some but it hardly dominates the trilogy. TPM isn't "all about a trade dispute." The trade dispute is simply the vehicle from which some of the conflict arises.

7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I completely disagree about the Jedi being distant and unemotional and bringing their downfall on themselves, and I think if Lucas did intend that we see them that way, the OT loses part of its point. I do think they were complacent and too comfortable though, and maybe we're meant to see that. Real-world nations and organizations have a way of becoming overconfident and less wary of outside threats than they need to be.

As far as the clones, I loved that they were written to make friends with the Jedi and then turn on them, that makes them far more interesting, that they were bred for obedience, not genuine friendship. TCW destroyed a lot of that aspect but that's another topic.

8. JarJarAbrams

JarJarAbrams Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 24, 2015
    Yeah, the microchip stuff in TCW was really damn weird and makes no sense.

It's also really Stone Age tech, when you think about it. Order 66 microchips, seriously? Why not just have the clones being genetically hardwired for unthinking loyalty?

Oh, wait, Star Wars is for babies. I guess "genetics" is a bit too advanced for TCW's audience

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  9. maychild

maychild Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 16, 2013
    Well, yes. Especially if they've experienced a thousand years of peace, with only minor skirmishes here and there.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  10. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005

Indeed. One of the most satisfying themes to see played out between the two trilogies, in my opinion, is hubris. See how the Jedi are first brought down, then the Sith.

Hubris is obviously a classical literary and/or dramatic theme and informs a number of character arcs in the prequel trilogy in particular -- Obi-Wan and Anakin's, most assuredly. It is also a theme well-depicted in the various lightsaber battles, with Dooku in particular goading his opponents to make quick work of him.

I like this theme because it is an important reminder that nothing lasts forever; or as the saying goes, the only constant is change. Star Wars provides a pretty good (and entertaining) lesson on this front. People and institutions are often undone from within. Pride and indolence become toxic to the host.

The comedy characters (Jar Jar, Artoo, Threepio, and to some extent, Yoda) all poke at the (often-times concealed) arrogance of the regular flesh-and-blood humans. This, for me, is amusing to watch, and gives the series a luminous quality sometimes lacking in other movie series, in my opinion.

11. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Pride goeth before destruction + exaltivit humiles = Star Wars

Darth Schlotkin and Cryogenic like this.
  12. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    "Twice the pride, double the fall!"

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  13. Tackelberry

Sep 28, 2014
    Again, my reasoning for the hate on the prequels. Yeah, it's standing and talking, but if you actually listen, there's a pretty good story.

14. JEDI-RISING

Apr 15, 2005
    just watched ROTS. both my thumbs up

15. Darth Schlotkin

Darth Schlotkin Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 6, 2015
    Or Qui-Gon intervening with a chance-cube ;)

Me too!
    First time i watch the BR version. It had some differences from the DVD version, i'm pretty sure from what i remember.

16. JEDI-RISING

Apr 15, 2005
    i have never seen the blu rays

Force Smuggler likes this.
  17. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Me neither. Just clips of the new changes.

lovelikewinter likes this.
  18. JEDI-RISING

Apr 15, 2005
    well i just found a youtube clip on the changes and you guessed it.....it's captioned "lucas --rewed Star Wars again"

19. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    I havent either, but really want to, they go for like 100 bucks now. Id still love to see the Complete Saga on blu ray, but not for 100 bucks.

20. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    So last week I was watching the Hype for Battlefront from IGN, and the idiot gamer guys says this..."star wars battlefront will be a great game because it doesnt feature anything from those CRAPPY PREQUELS....." i immediately lost interest in IGN. Battlefront is a war sim, its a videogame where you can play as various types of soldiers in the Star Wars universe. His praise for the new game was based on the fact that Republic Clone Troopers and Separatist Battle Droids were excluded from the game. The fact there were no battle fields for Naboo, Geonosis, Coruscant and Utapah was celebrated as a positive. ThEse are the types of folks I dont get them as Star Wars fans. As of now there are 3 Star Wars eras and 6 different factions, but this guy act as if you picking up a game controller and playing as an Imperial Stormtrooper or Alliance Rebel Soldier is superior to Clones and Battle Droids.

21. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    People can't have their own opinions?

22. JEDI-RISING

Apr 15, 2005
    like i've said, it's literally anything Star Wars you look at or hear about these days, people chiming in with that stuff.

23. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    He doesn't have to play as the Republic or CIS if he doesn't want to, so his opinion seems a bit unnecessary because it is extreme to me

24. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015

I'm a little confused about this.

25. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    To be honest, people saying bad things about the PT has affected me a little. However, now I don't really care what people think of my opinion. If they have a issue with my opinion, well that's problem and there problem alone as it won't bother me. One thing I have noticed about the internet is people are almost afraid of different opinions, its like having variety is a bad thing.

Davak24 and CT-867-5309 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.