main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT How have people who troll the prequels affected your love of the movies?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by OBI WAN37, Jul 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GuardianSoulBlade

GuardianSoulBlade Jedi Knight star 3

May 26, 2015
    Best response, don't feed the trolls, you'll never meet them in real life. Your taste in movies and enjoying the PT is none of their business. The fact that they're still hung up on these movies is their problem.

2. elfdart

elfdart Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 1, 2001
    To some degree, the various Red Letter Morons/Stokl-A-holes have turned me off to Star Wars in general. Every time there's a news article about the upcoming movies, or about George Lucas, or even a story about some kid dressing up his dog like Chewbacca, there will be some troll posting a link to a video where some creep is "joking" about abducting and mutilating women. But they are the TRUE fans, they'll tell you. Yeah, like Mark David Chapman was a TRUE John Lennon fan.

Quite frankly, there are a fairly large number of Star Wars "fans" who are very much like the drunken, loudmouthed, racist football "fans" who make going to a game an unpleasant experience I'm not terribly keen on repeating.

3. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    As others have said, don't give the trolls what they want.

mes520 likes this.
  4. SeventySeven

SeventySeven Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 18, 2002
    Yeah I feel the same way. I feel I literally sneak onto here just to find a few like minded people and sometimes cover my eyes once 'Star Wars' hits google.

Sometimes I think that it is a social phenomenon in and of itself. The internet has taken the lid off hate, and such is the huge gravitational pull of Star Wars - out of all proprtion to what it actually is, it has generated a black hole of unfettered dissing.

"Mmm... I'm all out of thumbs up. I know ! I need something with George, Lucas, Star or Wars in the title."

The corollary is a kind of religious fervor, people in tears at the site of Han Solo, grown men allowing themselves to be seen screaming and gyrating like at a healing convention - because THE FALCON !

Cryogenic likes this.
  5. GuardianSoulBlade

May 26, 2015
    And when the hype backlash hits, it's gonna be a worse reaction, as in it'll be instantaneous whining, because when the PT came out, the internet wasn't the same as it is now, and the haters will be even louder at crying about "ruined childhoods" twice.

Prisic Duskleap and mes520 like this.
  6. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    The "ruined childhoods" are already here. Look at all the Haters making fun of the "Real Desert" comment.

Cushing's Admirer likes this.
  7. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Poor guy was just excited to be going to a desert for the first time. Little did he know the PT crowd would rip him to shreds over it.

TX-20 and StrikerKOJ like this.
  8. GuardianSoulBlade

May 26, 2015
    I really don't think J.J. meant aything by it, the media keeps spinning their PT hating in every article about TFA. I'm very excited for December, and I'm avoiding spoilers.

TX-20 likes this.
  9. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    I've addressed the OP before (post #105 which is here ), but I've actually come to think that the most extreme anti-PT comments (not talking about civil, reasonable critiques and honest reactions, of course) have actually affected my experience of the films...in that they've made me have a sort of affection for some things that I was either only slightly to somewhat negative or indifferent to before.:p

I guess the best example (though not the only one) would be Jar Jar. I actually don't remember having a strong reaction to him either way (positive or negative) upon my initial theater viewings of TPM (with the exception of the Eopie fart and "stepping in poo" jokes, which I think I did have an initially negative reaction to). But I have to say, all the extreme, "over-the-top" anti-Jar Jar comments I've read since then seem to have made me enjoy the character more the last time I watched the film. Somehow, the fact that a character like his could engender so much hate made him more endearing. And this wasn't a conscious effort on my part--I just noticed that I seemed to enjoy him more while watching, and then (much later) seeing this thread resurface again made me think about that changed reaction.

And I have to admit, I do enjoy the fact that such "trolling" has had this effect.:p

elfdart and jimkenobi like this.
  10. Prisic Duskleap

Prisic Duskleap Jedi Master star 3

Jul 24, 2014
    The poor guy brought that on himself if it wasn't for the snide tone of it no one would of bashed it. Its the ridiculous aspect of overlooking that the PT was also shot in a REAL DESERT!!!.

Saga Explorer and elfdart like this.
  11. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    J.J. arranged to have real dessert with lunch. Real Dessert.

12. elfdart

Apr 1, 2001
    I'm old enough to remember when fans of SW would look down their noses at Trekkies as socially maladjusted poindexters who needed to lighten up. There's a reason SNL did the Get a Life skit with William Shatner scolding a bunch of Trekkie dorks, rather than say, Carrie Fisher berating SW nerds. Now, thanks to the Red Letter Moron, Severely Dimwitted Matthew and others, the roles have reversed. Now it's the Trekkies who seem to be taking it all in stride with a little perspective, while mewling Star Wars "fans" go on websites praying for Lucas to die, squealing about raped childhoods, etc, etc, etc...

Andy Wylde and Prisic Duskleap like this.
  13. elfdart

Apr 1, 2001

At best he had no clue about how five of the previous six films in the series were shot. At worst, he's following a rather dishonest party line. Either way he's a ripe subject for scorn and ridicule. Imagine a new guitarist being invited to play in a well-established band like the Rolling Stones, and that musician keeps droning on and on about how THIS time the band will be using electric guitars, implying that the previous Stones albums didn't. That guitar player would be written off as an ignoramus at best and a BS artist at worst.

14. skygawker

skygawker Jedi Knight star 3

May 25, 2014
    Yeah, I was among those rolling my eyes at the "real desert" comment, but I certainly wasn't suggesting that TFA is going to "ruin my childhood." There's a difference between the movie itself--which so far looks pretty good--and the marketing campaign, which has been focusing on the OT nostalgia crowd to the point of absurdity.

15. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    It's you lot who take everything as a slight against the poor victimised PT. Seems clear he was making reference to alot of other films that these days don't go to the trouble of flying all the way to the Middle East to shoot on location. He's saying they are going to a desert on the other side of the world, just like previous Star Wars films including the PT. Remember the PT was 10-16 years ago. That's a long time. He's comparing the movie making of today to the past. This is the only logical interpretation for his comment. Everyone who has seen the PT can plainly see the Tatooine scenes were filmed on location in a desert, indeed they were famously filmed in the same desert location as in ANH. He knows that, everyone knows that.

Maybe try to not be so sensitive & defensive all the time.

TX-20 and TigerCraneFist like this.
  16. Thiazzi

Thiazzi Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 27, 2015

Please don't. I don't even know how you can try to position some sort out of defense about the 'real desert' thing and then try to turn it around on the prequels.

Prisic Duskleap and mes520 like this.
  17. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    It's the obvious truth. To suggest that guy was deliberately taking a swipe at the prequels which so clearly filmed in desert locations is absurd. If anything we can criticise the editor of that documentary who positioned the comment to possibly give that impression. However when you apply some thought & logic to the comment itself it clearly had nothing to do with the PT. Like I said the PT was famous for going to Tunisia & painstakingly recreating the Lars' homestead etc. Everyone knows that let alone a member of the Lucasfilm crew. Sorry to burst your conspiracy bubble.

TX-20 likes this.
  18. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014

I think you three get your jollies playing the victim.

19. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012

I don't think it's that well known or people wouldn't make "The PT was all CGI" comments.

ETA: lovelikewinter Enough already. I was just asking for advice.

Andy Wylde and Prisic Duskleap like this.
  20. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    They don't say it was all CGI, they say it was too much CGI. Also that the CGI wasn't very good in some cases.

Strongbow likes this.
  21. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005

[face_laugh][face_laugh]

You're so bad, ezekiel!

ezekiel22x likes this.
  22. Agent M

Agent M Jedi Padawan star 2

May 13, 2015
    They haven't.

23. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    Not much though there was a dark time when RLM actually made me not like the prequels as much. Thankfully, I'm behind that phase.

Now if the actual PEOPLE WHO MADE AND OWN STAR WARS said something, then we'd have a problem.

Thiazzi likes this.
  24. Prisic Duskleap

Prisic Duskleap Jedi Master star 3

Jul 24, 2014
    Look you can try to put a positive spin on it all you want but its clear as day it was present in a very snide manner. The whole marketing of TFA has been this way "Practical Effects" "Oh look everyone we are using real sets how cool" "Oh BTW we are also shooting in a real desert".

I tell you what when the marketing of TFA stops giving me a reason to be defensive than I will stop. Until then I will enjoy making fun of it all.

Andy Wylde, Thiazzi and Cryogenic like this.
  25. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Yeah sorry for being positive. That's going against the grain around here isn't it.
    I'm not disputing that the CGI/practical angle is in part a reference to the PT. Also to all of the other CGI heavy movies around. But that comment in isolation is a different matter. That's clearly referring to other movies & not the PT. He's saying that's how Star Wars does things. To suggest a Lucasfilm crew member isn't aware the PT filmed in Tunisia is ludicrous.

TX-20 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.