main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT How have people who troll the prequels affected your love of the movies?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by OBI WAN37, Jul 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prisic Duskleap

Prisic Duskleap Jedi Master star 3

Jul 24, 2014
    It was clearly presented in a snide manner to bash the PT. If you wanna put a positive spin on it that's your choice it disgusts me. Instead of complaining though I much enjoy making fun of it all. And if they are doing this to try and be "Anti CGI" well they will fail miserably as most movie goers have no issue with CGI at all.

Cryogenic likes this.
  2. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    If you want to read snideness into the comment you're fee to do so. I think you're jumping at shadows. He was just promoting the effort they're going to in making their movie. Just like the PT they're going to the trouble of flying all the way to the Middle East to film in a desert. Plenty of other movies would film on a soundstage or at best head out to Arizona.

3. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I quite liked John Carter's real desert scenes. Perhaps Disney should've played that up more in the marketing for that film!

4. Prisic Duskleap

Jul 24, 2014
    Lol I don't have to read into its clearly a snide remarks towards the PT.

5. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Crazy theory. It's not unlikely, it's IMPOSSIBLE for a Lucasfilm crewmember to not know the PT filmed in a desert location.

6. Prisic Duskleap

Jul 24, 2014
    Lol once again it was a silly comment that wasn't needed. But it sure is fun to make fun off I must admit.

7. sonnyleesmith

sonnyleesmith Jedi Master star 2

Apr 29, 2014
    I can understand why some might be put off by the TFA marketing as you could gather it may be a jab at the PT. However, I'm wondering why people are focusing so much on the "real desert" comment and not Hamill's "real sets, practical effects" comment? Is it because it's a producer and he's the equivalent of Rick McCallum?

8. Zinnzade

Zinnzade Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 6, 2013
    I feel like following Star Wars lately has become like eating a pizza you love with a topping you hate. I want to enjoy news and discussion on it all, but it always seems to come with negativity towards the parts of the movies I like.

I hate to admit it, but the more I eat that pizza with a topping I don't like, the more I start to lose my taste for pizza. I wonder if it's better just to not follow Star Wars at all, and watch the movies when they come out.

elfdart and Prisic Duskleap like this.
  9. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    The whole thing is so entirely bizarre that you have to look at it as to what is actually going on.

Do they even know?

The real set, practical effects nonsense has gotten plenty of talk but the real desert is entirely weird. More so because MH is just an actor and we don't know what he knows or doesn't know. It's really not his role to know anything about production but a crew member who works on movies is held to a different standard.

What he actually really meant by that we don't really know. Certainly from the nonsensical niche marketing angle they have taken it would seem to indicate something to do with NOT previously actually being in a REAL desert.

IIRC this is the production designer Rick Carter?

The whole thing is just downright weird anyway.

10. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014
    Anthony Daniels and Peter Mayhew worked on both the OT and the PT. When they say that JJ is going more practical than the PT, it has more weight.

TX-20 and Darth Downunder like this.
  11. sonnyleesmith

sonnyleesmith Jedi Master star 2

Apr 29, 2014
    What is it with Ricks?

TX-20, Pensivia and Cryogenic like this.
  12. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Not really. They are still actors who are only there for a part of the process. PM for basically a day or whatever during I think the pick-ups in the UK on a screen set.

Now AD who worked on all 6 movies and went to real deserts etc and saw the "real sets and practical effects" of the PT would know more but he hasn't been part of this marketing yet so he hasn't been put in the embarrassing position...yet.

The parallel of ANH and TFA for AD though is how they weren't using his name in promotional material for ANH ie a picture would say Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill) with C-3PO. No credit for AD.

In a similar way TFA used the BB-8 and have kind of pretended that the one used in the movie was like the one that rolled out on the stage at Celebration.

I don't think they have yet talked about the guys in green stockings that work the actual droid prop.

Prisic Duskleap likes this.
  13. Thiazzi

Thiazzi Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 27, 2015

I'm definitely considering this too. I've become very cynical recently over the prequels and SW in general. I guess I'm letting the vocal majority get to me (it is NOT a vocal minority, stop saying that because it isn't), but all the prequel hating on the internet has been pissing me off, and I've especially grown annoyed by the chance that the new SW team doesn't even consider the prequels canon. I don't know if I'm willing to stop following SW and TFA in general, but knowing that I am one of the few online who likes the prequels and will be ostracized for it is driving me more and more away from SW atm. I've just deleted one of my Youtube comments because it spawned a 20 comment long chain about how my taste in films suck and how I should watch RLM. I really hate the fans right now. :mad:

14. elfdart

elfdart Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 1, 2001
    I've said in many forums over the years that I liked the Prequels just fine; it's some of the "fans" I can do without.

Andy Wylde, TX-20, Rabs and 4 others like this.
  15. jasbhui

jasbhui Jedi Youngling

Apr 9, 2015
    Defending the pt is getting harder and harder even more now than ever. As a pt and ot fan ive chosen to keep quiet if the subject of the pt comes up now....fighting is pointless as your always outnumbered. Sad but very true..sigh.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Thiazzi likes this.
  16. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Ah, but I desire to keep up the good fight - must be my stubborn and argumentative nature.

17. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Or that you are a slow learner. :p
    I'm sorry. I kid. I couldn't resist.

18. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
  19. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    PT quote felt most appropriate.

mes520 likes this.
  20. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I still don't see why some insist on making it a fight at all.

heels1785 likes this.
  21. Thiazzi

Thiazzi Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 27, 2015

So it should be a one-sided beatdown?

22. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    No, but the tension should stop some time. Besides it's needless.

23. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    When I was younger, the PT hate certainly affected me. I was thirteen when TPM was released, and a huge SW fan since I was a little kid. When I saw TPM for the first twenty or so times, I absolutely adored it. Then the backlash started to happen. I was registered here at the forums already back then, under a different username, and read a lot of negative things. Then that started to creep into real life, with some of my SW fans friends all of a sudden beginning to hate the film.
    That made me question whether the film was actually good. By the time AOTC came around, I had convinced myself I didn't like TPM at all, and probably never had.
    The same story happened again with AOTC. I loved it when it first came out, but it quickly soured for me thanks to the popular opinion. By the time ROTS came out, I was actually expecting to hate the film. Thankfully, I didn't - I loved it even more than I had ever loved the previous two, and so did my friends. But I was sure that was the only prequel film I actually liked, and I didn't watch AOTC or TPM for years.

As I grew older (early to mid-twenties), I decided to watch all the movies again, after drifting away from SW for a few years. As it turned out, I had gotten to a point in my life where I didn't care about other people's opinions as much, and I once again fell in love with TPM.
    Now I like all Star Wars movies (even though AOTC is way below the others, in my book. Still a good movie, just not great, as the others are), and I'm hoping to like (even love) the new ones as well!

And yeah, the "real desert" quote is only a snide remark on the prequels if you really want it to be...

Darth Downunder, mes520 and Iron_lord like this.
  24. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    Not at all. I watched and loved the whole Saga when I was a kid, at a time when I didn't really use the Internet yet, not to mention participating in any SW online communities, so I had no idea back then. When I got a little older and it came time to joining forums and getting more exposed to the larger fan community's opinions, some of the harsher critics really surprised me. Particularly the hate for Jar Jar, because as a kid I had always liked him. I just accepted the fact that there is a select, albeit a large, group of fans who don't like the prequels for certain reasons, but that I would never let them hinder my own love for the films.

mes520 and Iron_lord like this.
  25. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    I don't mind when people have specific things they don't like about the PT and when they can actually give a reason, as anybody would with any movie. Whether it's story, writing, acting, filmmaking style, anything, just have a reason, and not the obvious ones. What gets to me is the assumptive and unequivocal dismissal of the prequels from people who aren't even all that familiar with the movies but are just so high and mighty with their thinking that it's not even worth their time or effort to reconsider, and worse, actually look down on those who do enjoy these films, like they know something that someone who enjoys the prequels doesn't.

On a side note, I live in Los Angeles and interact with a lot of know-it-alls and pretentious people, so I encounter this mentality often, with many more things than just the Star Wars PT.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.