main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT How have people who troll the prequels affected your love of the movies?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by OBI WAN37, Jul 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SkywalkerJedi02

SkywalkerJedi02 Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 3, 2013
    That's why sometimes it's best not to read reviews of things especially before you've seen it yourself as it can affect your own personal judgement, I will stand by my view that my love for the PT will never die it was my time and my generation and the most gripping part of the franchise as I whole is the love story of Anakin & Padme as when everything went horribly wrong for them in ROTS the series kinda ended for me there in terms of emotionally investment that I had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    I'm a bit late getting in on this thread, but I'll throw in my 2 cents anyway....

I started out in the "hater" camp. I was genuinely disappointed with TPM and AOTC, and it had nothing to do with whether or not other people were "trolling" them. As a matter of fact, I didn't even have internet access when TPM was out. I simply did not like the movie. By the time AOTC came out, I did have internet access, but I don't think the trolling had any effect on my opinion. I WANTED to like the movie. I was genuinely excited to see it, and fully prepared to give it a fair shot despite the fact that I did not like TPM. But, in some ways, I found AOTC even more disappointing. I won't go into the reasons here, since this isn't the thread for that.
    (I did like ROTS, though.)

When I started posting on message boards (not here... but other boards around the web), I was among those who bashed TPM and AOTC for a while. But then, as time went by, I had a change of heart. I still don't think the movies are particularly good, but I just began to not enjoy associating with the "haters." Some of them simply took it WAY too far. Lucas didn't "destroy my childhood," and I don't think people who enjoyed the prequels are idiots or delusional or whatever else they were frequently being called. They simply either have different tastes, or saw things in them that I didn't.
    IMDB was the worst. The number of personal attacks against people who like these movies was ridiculous, as was the number of people acting as if they were personally offended by Lucas decisions (to be fair, some of the so-called "gushers" were equally nuts on that site.) But anyway, long story short, I guess I just got fed up with all the negativity, and maybe that's why I started to re-evaluate the prequels a bit. Although they're still not what I'd hoped they'd be, I'd be lying if I said they didn't have moments that I genuinely enjoy, and regardless of what I think of the end result, I can and do appreciate the incredible amount of work that went into the films (confession: I sometimes enjoy watching the behind-the-scenes documentaries more than the films themselves.)

So, I guess you could say that the trolling had a somewhat positive effect on my view of the prequels.

3. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    It's given me focus, made me stronger!

I've really looked so deeply into the making of all the films to see what these people's problem is and you realize it is totally their problem.

Many of them truly do not seem to really know how any of the movies were made or the thought process that went into them.

They blame George for "betraying" them and what Star Wars is "supposed" to be but the truth is that Lucas didn't really change in that he was always changing things and developing them in the first place.

I find that the people who "hate" the prequels didn't want things to change. They wanted them to remain the same which is ironic because that is exactly what the message of the PT is. You can't stop the change. By wanting to keep things the same and wanting to control what things are in that way they are actually being Anakin.

So I wonder if on some deep psychological level they don't like Anakin because they see themselves in him? The guy who wants to stop changes but can't do it.

It's like the whole "I want to be Han Solo but I'm really Luke Skywalker." "I want to be Vader who seems in ESB to be so cool and in control (but really he isn't and actually he's still Anakin fighting for something that he can't ever really get."

They lash out in anger against the SE's and PT that change the story they want to have control of. This manifests itself in promoting the IABL version of history. It's Anyone But Lucas who is responsible for the OT.

The thing also is that I was never "precious" about the OT. I was a fan but not a total fan that it was everything to me as a kid. The thing that is that for me is Doctor Who which I got into in hindsight because of Star Wars and Obi-Wan.

George is the biggest fan of Star Wars and the creator so as much as he loves it he isn't precious about it. To him it's an ever evolving thing. He didn't say to himself "This is what it is and that's it" hence why Luke's father and Vader merged into one. Why he could kill Obi-Wan off and recreate him as Yoda who was more like the original Obi-Wan he had in mind before Alec Guiness' performance redrafted him.

For those who think the OT is golden and perfect in all ways (or at least 2 of the 3) telling them that this is the real story isn't going to work for them because it's their story don't tell them what happened.

4. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I'd actually say the extreme love of the OT has affected me more than the extreme dislike of the PT. I still really appreciate the originals, of course, although these days I can't really relate to them in the same reverent way that many circles of "geek culture" do.

5. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    The negativity is both ways and it has affected me poorly in the past but been quite a learning experience. People have different impressions, interpretations, and interests. It's fine. Everything need not be a war or argument. I like discussion and learning. There are things in PT I like just as things in OT I don't. To an extent, there is a choice to be made how I respond to negativity and though the path has been long I am content standing by my own impressions.

I have actually met some pretty neat people since my return that seem to prefer the PT and I appreciate that. I love learning and asking questions. Differences in taste are not always bad they can be fun.

6. Malcolm Reynolds

Malcolm Reynolds Jedi Master star 5

Sep 2, 2013
    well said cushy

Cushing's Admirer likes this.
  7. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    My two cents. Idiots, Trolls should be recognized and ignored as much as possible. We tend to take to heart everything anybody has to say these days. We need to be able to ignore people.

8. SarlacsDinnerParty

SarlacsDinnerParty Jedi Knight

Aug 24, 2014
    Loved the PT when I saw it in the theaters ! Dont realy care that some fans troll the **** out of them.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  9. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    I don't let the haters bother me; when they attempt to troll, I just embrace my inner Willow Smith...

MOD Note: Link disabled- it was making my head spin.

SarlacsDinnerParty likes this.
  10. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    So, people who do not like something YOU like, and then voice an opinion should just be ignored. Yeah that's a fantastic philosophy. Let's all stick our fingers in our ears and repeatedly shout blah blah blah. I'm not a PT fan. Simply because the direction, the acting/script etc, was extremely sub par. Not because of some random inherent hatred for GL. He needed people around him who were going to question things, debate decisions. Rather than a team of nodding dogs who would've stuck their tongue straight down the back of his trousers at the drop of a hat. I'm curious as to what you like about the PT? Genuinely I am. Is it because you're a person who always supports the underdog? The mindset of 'well, someone's got to like them haven't they". It really comes down to this. What is good, and what is bad. If you are discerning enough to know? Then deep down, you will know.

Darth_Pevra and Force Smuggler like this.
  11. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    The weird thing is that people sometimes act as if this was something unique to Lucas' organization, when it's fairly endemic in the corporate community.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  12. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    I just had to log in here to put another member on ignore. The crass comments can really go over board around these parts. Definitely starting to see the PT in a much different light these days.

13. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    That's very true.

And based on what some of them spew, we might be well advised to do so.

Bazinga'd likes this.
  14. Alienware

Alienware Jedi Master star 3

Apr 19, 2013
    I think that most of us here have nothing against an open discussion, so I don't know why you're being so sarcastic. I also think that a large amount of people who love the PT, me included, understand and listen (or maybe not, but I believe we do) to the arguments and opinions of other people.

That's fine, but the problem lies with some people who are seemingly very active in their negativity towards the prequels. And I believe those were the people that OP was aiming at in his post.

Andy Wylde and CoolyFett like this.
  15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I've changed my mind on a few aspects of the film based on open discussions so I agree with you.

I think the point is that if you like something, there is no point in being bothered by someone who comes in and says that he or she hates it.

CoolyFett likes this.
  16. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Its not really certain fans not enjoying the PT, its just how they go about it. You go anywhere on the web to look for SW news or links...and it rares up, unwanted opinions about how the OT os god n PT is the devil. Even of that take has nothing to do with said article.

Samnz likes this.
  17. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    That's rather a bit extreme not all that dislike the PT or prefer the OT that comment on them hold that stance.

Malcolm Reynolds likes this.
  18. Samnz

Samnz Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Yeah, exactly.
    I think there is this common misconception with some users here on TFN that when we PT fans talk about "haters", we refer to people who simply prefer the OT. No, we - or I, at least - don't. That said, I do think there are a few "haters" on these boards, but they are rare and tend to be irregular posters. They vast majority of posters aren't, though. However, you won't find it hard to detect them en masse on others sites, just as miasma namend an example (imdb): People who really hate those movies, including its fans and makers, with passion.
    Those are the people that annoy PT fans like me. Not people (anakinfansince1983 , Force Smuggler or MOC Yak Face would come to mind) who have their issues with them, articulate that in a civilized way and prefer the OT.

19. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    I tend to look upon the discussion base of IMDb as bacteria feeding on bacteria.

Not that there aren't intelligent, reasonable posters there. It's just an odd place that seems to attract negativity and vitriol of assorted kinds. I say "seems" like it's some sort of mystery. But really, it isn't. Negativity spreads on the Internet like wildfire, and then there is the specific way that the IMDb message board system is designed and run.

The IMDb userbase is only one side of the problem. The moderation there is also lax to the point of indolence. And capricious. Sometimes, perfectly decent posts or threads are pulled for no reason, while adjacent calumny is allowed to reign free. The moderation force is also invisible and publicly unaccountable. One ineluctably senses a dreary connection between these tedious facts.

The fact that there *is* some sort of moderation -- as random and pathetic as it may be -- sort of amuses me. It's a place almost aching to be let completely off the chain, but that's not allowed. Threads are also automatically deleted according to some sort of spreadsheet or formula, meaning that 99% of everything ever posted to the boards no longer exists. They are continually being pruned, ensuring the (willful) loss of valuable user input, damning discussions to be cyclical, with no way to refer back to earlier content once it has been erased. It's like a perfect digital incarnation of hell.

Quite a weird set-up all told. But it exists for one simple reason: $$$

Y'know... even with the quirks/flaws/limitations of this venue, I'm so glad Star Wars prequel fans have TFN.

Andy Wylde and Darthmaul208 like this.
  20. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    OBIWAN37: I had the same problem, until I approached the Prequels in a fashion similar to any beloved genre film maligned by the wider culture: "To hell with 'em!" For instance, I have a great affection for Robert Altman's Popeye, Tim Burton's Batman interpretations (worth more than all of the modern DC and Marvel adaptations put together), and Alien 3 (Sigourney Weaver's finest turn as Ellen Ripley), and have no reservations in declaring said affection to anyone and everyone.

Now, I understand the Prequel antipathy is far more pervasive than the examples listed above, but your attitude ought to be the same. The nice thing about adopting a Devil-may-care attitude in regards to art is that, unlike politics or religion, nothing much is at stake. So wave the gusher flag proudly.

Andy Wylde and Iron_lord like this.
  21. Visivious Drakarn

Visivious Drakarn Jedi Master star 3

Apr 20, 2013
    Well, you can always compare some alleged PT flaw with some OT flaw to see what it feels like to be ignored. [face_dunno]
    OK, enough of reality-sarcasm.

Many have said the same thing. I have no doubt it was invented and presented by Mike Stoklasa and it's now used as something bad (and no, not all movies where the screenwriter and the director used other people's advices turned out to be good). But as it was said many, many time on this boards, the PT was a collaborative effort, Lucas has offered TPM script to Larry Kasdan, no doubt that Spielberg offered his insights and Jonathan Hales and Tom Stoppard worked on the scripts. And that's only what we know. It's just tiresome to hear the same things repeated all over again although they were proven wrong. So, in a way, the thing you may call ignoring is just giving up from writing the same thing for the fiftieth time.

Red23, Andy Wylde and Valairy Scot like this.
  22. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Not all OT fans deny it has flaws. All the SW films have flaws. I think this is part of the issue that causes tension between 'camps' assumptions all of one type are the same, we aren't. What confounds me is why a difference in perception or interest is evidently so terrible to many. I like differences because they are learning opportunities. What disheartens me is the hostility some show to those that share uncommon views (like the fact I won't call Tarkin 'evil'). I have seen proof many that prefer the PT get a lot of heat and it's sad. Yet some PT defenders also pounce on those (like me) that like the OT better. Like whatever you like in SW. Difference doesn't have to be threatening or contentious.

TX-20 and Alienware like this.
  23. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    I didn't discover the internet in it's entirety until after ROTS came out, so I was immensely surprised there was a fairly large disdain for the PT. But the negativity has never swayed my opinion of the PT and I still love them to this day. In fact, I am a bigger fan of the PT than the OT, but I still love all six films. I just need to be careful where I say that though because I have been attacked by a very few people for even liking the PT. What's worse is that most of the people who've attacked me aren't even trolls, they're actually pretty good members on the sites I visit (or so I thought). I never let them get me down though.

24. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    If they go on and on and on about it going on 15 years plus and do so in a particular way I don't see a problem with it. It's the weirdest thing. I talked to a guy recently who doesn't care for the PT that much. Of course he just watched it recently again for the he doesn't know how many times already.

Talk about things that make you go...

HUH?!?!?!

See here's the problem. You state your opinion of the film which in itself is fine. For you. Except that it seems that what you say is factual for all concerned especially the general public never mind all the factual evidence that states it's nothing less than with the most popular franchises of the last 15 years like Harry Potter, Spider-Man, LOTR, Pirates etc.

I say the direction, acting, script was extremely excellent and quite honestly of a much higher level than the OT because George Lucas' experience of what to do and what not to do is simply greater.

I think Revenge of the Sith is his masterpiece. When it really comes down to it as important as IV is it's still in the end of one-off. The actual saga was created by his reformation of that back story that he engineered for the ESB script. The core story of the whole saga then became the rise and fall of Anakin Skywalker of which most of that story is contained in III.

You don't seriously believe that? How can you? I have delved deeply into the making of the films. All of them and this simply is not the case and never was. In the end George makes the final decision whether through silence which was his preferred method or by communicating. Actually the Lucas who made the prequels was a far better writer-director in just about every way possible in working with people. To pretend he didn't communicate with Coppola, Spielberg, Howard and who knows how many other old friends is just wrong. If he liked what they are or anyone said he used that advice just like when he revised the second half of III.

This wasn't asked of me but for my take. What do I like about the prequels? The same thing I like about the OT. Pretty much everything. Oh sure there are always things that anyone would want more or less of and knowing about decisions taken or not taken you'd like to see this or that but really we are talking to my mind that Lucas is hitting at about 99% on average.

See what I mean by your discerning comment? If you dislike them SO much then move on and don't talk about them and don't pretend they are all CG or this is objectively poor and the like.

As for what I like. I really like Hayden. I think of all the credit that Mark Hamill deserves and never really got. HC is criminally underrated. That is the way so often of the young hansdome leading man. They get overlooked because they have the "easiest" part. Well actually they have the hardest and carry the films and that also goes for Jake Lloyd though he didn't have the same weight on his shoulders. The characters around them can do all kinds of things because there is a center for them to play off. Ian McDiarmid is great but what makes his performance up that other notch is the way Hayden plays it.

I am amazed that people actualy complain about Anakin being this and being that and then think it's because as the hero we should feel a certain way about him and the performance is giving us something else. The problem isn't the performance but the way you should feel about him. Anakin isn't Luke. It's like I've said Luke is the more traditional hero in that he's the nerd who gets the wish fulfillment of powers like Peter Parker as Spider-Man. Anakin isn't Peter Parker. He's Flash Thompson. He's the BMOC. The guys the nerds want to get revenge on except that like those guys he's actually far more screwed up than those nerds can possibly imagine.

The way Lucas deconstructs the Darth Vader character into a child and then a young man character is brilliant writing on his part. The emotional and character arc is as good as anything of that type I have ever seen on film. Lucas' visual and audio storytelling form of Star Wars as "silent" movies is at it's apex and on top of that his (ludicrously derided) dialogue is the strongest he's ever done. No doubt if he'd got Kasdan to put his name on it (without him actually doing anything) it'd be called as the best since ESB just because.

25. Jeff McKissock

Jeff McKissock Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 11, 2012
    I don't let the trolls and naysayers affect my love of the Prequels. They are some of my favorite movies and have lots of great memories because of them. Even something as simple as coming here and seeing if there is a news about them. I have made a lot of awesome friends because of the movie and will be always be grateful for that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.