main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How have you reacted to the NJO after the death of a major character in Star by Star?

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Raz927, Feb 7, 2002.

?

How have you reacted to the NJO after the death of a major character in Star by Star?

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
  1. I loved it-- I hope they kill more characters, keeps me glued to my seat

5.4%
  2. It didn't really affect me, I view the NJO same as previously

2.3%
  3. I'm angry they did that, but I must admit it made the story more interesting

30.0%
  4. I hate the NJO now! But I'll keep reading star wars books even if the Vong kill everyone and the ti

15.4%
  5. I stopped reading the NJO after Star by Star

4.6%
  6. The NJO has been bad from the beginning

23.8%
  7. It was sad, but it's part of what I love about the NJO

13.8%
  8. Its great, I just hope no one else dies

4.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raz927

Raz927 Jedi Youngling

Feb 7, 2002
  2. Lonewolf89

Lonewolf89 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 26, 2001
    I pretty much dread reading anymore of the NJO, but if I don't I'll never know what's going on if I start reading the books again.

3. GoldenVeila

GoldenVeila Jedi Master star 4

Aug 16, 2001
    I've started to dread it too, although I must admit I enjoy the books still to a certain extent. I can't stop reading Star Wars, that's practically impossible, I have to know what happens to the characters, plus well, it just comes down to that I like Star Wars too much to quit. Many of the character's deaths have really affected me, though. One in particular... anyway, it's certainly changed my view towards Star Wars. Anything can happen, apparently, and I don't know if I like that.

4. Isbeth

Isbeth Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2001
    Actually I stopped reading NJO long before Star by Star. When I heard of the death, that was enough for me. Now for me the character hasn't died.

5. Alderaan_

Alderaan_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2001
    It was very sad, but some people made too big a deal out of it. I've seen flame wars started from arguments about Anakin's death.

6. exar-tull

exar-tull Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 22, 2001
    it's great i hope no one else dies.

7. Knightstalker-

Knightstalker- Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 7, 2001
    First Chewie, then Anakin, yet they still havent killed off Mara...is there no justice?

8. Lonewolf89

Lonewolf89 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 26, 2001
    I agree with Kightstalker-.

9. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    No option for me.

I accept that people die in books. It adds to the story. Noone is invincible. I'd rather the two that went did over any other(Id like Mara to phase out, but now wasn't her time)

10. Jax9

Jax9 Jedi Youngling

Feb 5, 2002
    As far as Mara is concerned, I think she has been portrayed horribly and inconsistently in the NJO. This series has made me even lose respect for Luke with the way they have portrayed him. They need to get a better feel for these characters. It seems to me that these authors haven't even read Zahn's books to know who Mara is or who she is supposed to be. Seems like they were just told "Oh yeah, Lukes married now to a girl named Mara" and all these authors went off with their own visions of who Mara is and is supposed to be.

As far as death being part of a story, sure it can be. But I think most authors who have killed main characters have surprised even themselves with their deaths. It just happens as the story progresses in their imaginations, they back their hero into a corner they can't get out of, and the death makes sense. Chewie and Anakin were killed before the story plotters knew how they were killed, and it just didn't feel right. They were obviously trying to set us up for it in the first 8 books or so, as anakin was such a main part of those books. I think if they were just letting the storyline develop, instead of saying "major event here" and "major event there", then there is no way they would've killed anakin. He was the one character I thought they were developing well and there was a lot of potential for him. If anyone else is to die, their death certificate was probably issued before Vector Prime, and will most likely be another dissappointing death that doesn't really fit or make sense. This is why I was torn between "the njo has been bad from the beginning" and "I stopped reading after Star by Star" and "I hate the NJO! But I will keep reading Star Wars even if...", because these have all been true for me, but I choose to stop reading after sbs.

11. Anakin_Solo73

Anakin_Solo73 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 4, 2001
    At first, I like the NJO. It was fresh right from the start. The next generation of Jedi were fighting along side the Rebellion era characters. A new Enemy and not a rehash of Sith or the Empire. A little more danager with Chewie's death and minor characters's deaths as well. Then things started to go wrong. There is hardly any constant writing in the series. From novels to novels, characters seem to change their personalities all the time.

The series has been nothing but a Vong victory right after the other. Is this suppose to have me believe that the Characters have any chance of winning? Why can't we have a series where both sides exchange victories back and forth, each side advancing a little more, one big battle that turns the tide in the series, a few more set backs, and one final battle to win it all.

To me, the NJO is setting it self up for constant Vong victories. In the End, their will be some super weapon that saves the day and was discovered at the very last minute.

A model from history could be the civil war. The Confederacy was kicking the Federal Army every day, all day. The Federal army was winning some battles, but the leadership was poor. Then at Gettysburg (sp?) the Federal Army sqeaked out a victory but at a price. That was the turning point in the war.

My big beef comes from the Vong having vastly superior technology and the NR doing nothing about it. There are no weapon upgrades. Secret missions to figure to steal the Vong ships. What about rebuilding the NR army using clones (Yes, I'm aware of the cliche of this, but it's a step towards showing the strenght of the NR in the war)?

I now see why the NJO hasn't had a #1 selling book since Vector Prime. That is the only truth to the New York Times Bestselling Series. People only read that book because they heard that Chewbacca died.

12. Ginger

Ginger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 27, 2001
    I voted eariler but didn't post my comments because my computer went crazy after my vote. Maybe that should tell me something. Anyway, I voted for 'The NJO has been bad from the beginning.' I don't like the one-sidedness of this story arc. As Anakin solo73 said, it would have been more interesting to have seen a more even war being waged. So far, it's been the Yuuzhan Vong kicking butt for over two years. They have also gone overboard with the heapings of darkness. How many times can we read about Han and Leia suffering before it becomes redundant and frustrating?

The story held promise, but the execution just could have been a lot better.

13. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    its been bad since the beginning.....

Okay, first we have Vector Prime - Mara is sick with this mysterious disease....which I am sure was the creation of the author and shouldn't have been done. Then we have that death. Book Over.

Next books were okay, but not the best.

Same for the others, with the exception of Balance Point.

When I first read about the New Jedi Order, it sounded exciting! I thought that Luke and Mara would have started a family and would have at least one child. Nope. I didn't know about these stupid aliens until I read Vector Prime (and I made the mistake of buying a copy online and then in the store the day it was released because I could not wait - now I am stuck with two copies of a lousy book!)

I thought maybe they would go to the unknown regions, like Luke and Mara talked about in the end of Vision of the Future. Nope.

I thought the solo brats would die fiery....okay, that's going a little far.....

The only reason these books make it on a best seller list is because of the name "Star Wars". Almost any book could have the name star wars and then it'd be something else...but of course that can't happen, but I am trying to make a point.

I honestly think the fans should have had some kind if input about the story. If Aaron Allston's books aren't good, I'll just be unhappy (I have yet to read Dark Journey -gonna start it / finish the others I haven't finished, starting this Wednesday.)

I don't like the deaths and there have been hardly any happy plotlines.

srupppppfdlksdfkd -- I had a bit of talking about death to Kyp and my keyboard highlighted it and I accidentally deleted it.

Anyway, if Kyp is killed off, then good riddance to BAD rubbish!!!!!

14. Balance_Point

Balance_Point Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 10, 2001
    It seems to me that what many people have either not realized or have overlooked is the fact that SbS, according to the book itself, is the darkest point in the NJO. Anakin's death, Coruscant's fall, etc. isn't the beginning of some horrific Del Rey killing spree--it's the beginning of the turning point in the saga, the point from which things cannot get worse, therefore they must get better, much like the ending of ESB.

So I don't really see the point of all of a sudden being fearful of future NJO books--from my understanding, we're very close to seeing the good guys finally take the upper hand in this war. I would think that's what most of the people here have been waiting for, which makes me wonder why suddenly there's all this talk of boycotting the series now. ?[face_plain]

15. Master-Anakin-Solo

Master-Anakin-Solo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 18, 2002
    I agree with Balance_Point.

At the beginning i thought the NJO was going too slow, but after VP it has been a complete rollercoaster ride.

I hionestly was ouset and sad due to the dead in SbS, but I think it has open a lot of plots, and who knows we could even get surprised.

I think SbS, was a lot like the ESB, I mean when we first saw ESB, we all came out of the theaters thinking it was over for the Rebellion, but look at the RotJ, I honestly think that after SbS things will look better for the NR, besides the YV are thin spread in the galaxy and I don't think that they can expand so easy from this point fort.

16. jade_angel

jade_angel Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2001
    Hmmmm my reaction was nothing because I already knew about it thanks to spoilers... but if you wanna know my reaction then... well it was near to a victory dance.

Calmly waits to be labeled as being "dead inside"

Sorry you just don't have an A. Solo fan within me... still don't like the NJO with the lack of one more Solo Kid.

17. ImperialGirl

ImperialGirl Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 10, 2001
    Well, the death and reactions to it were basically the only parts I read of SbS while flipping through it in Borders. But honestly, I found I really didn't care. I have other books I'm reading which I'm enjoying more. It hasn't really changed my opinion of NJO.

18. darth_morgana

darth_morgana Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 10, 2000
    [Gandalf] "Many who live deserve death, but some who die deserve life." [Gandalf]

Anakin Solo deserves life.

Let me explain myself:
    When I first read of Anakin's demise in one of the Insiders, I had little clue who he was, though I had heard about him.

I have read the Timothy Zahn HttE Trilogy, and have Balance Point, Conquest, Rebirth, and SbS. I'm reading them out of order. I just finished Conquest, and am on Rebirth.
    I have thumbed through SbS and all I have to say is:

WAHHHHHHHHH! :_|

19. NeoStar9

NeoStar9 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    I voted "The NJO has been bad from the beginning." I really don't have to list reasons because they have already been stated in the few post above mine. I feel the same way. After I finish Balance Point I won't be reading anymore Star Wars EU until the NJO series is done. Then maybe I hope they will have a decent storyline without the damn Solo brats and all this senseless killing. Thought I liked VP I have no enjoyed the others nor do I like BP. For the time being I'll be moving on to some fantasy books or finish a few of my own fan stories.

20. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    We all have to accept that these people are not invincible. They all have to die sometime just like you and me. Having people die is a part of life, that's what makes the NJO more realistic and more interesting than some of the other book series.

21. Rogue-Leader

Rogue-Leader Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2001
    Hello, I haven't read any of the NJO books, and actually just ignore them, especially after I heard that the idiots had killed off Chewie. Just one question though, when are they gonna kill Luke?

22. vongbait

vongbait Jedi Youngling

Mar 4, 2002
    Okay, I cried for 3 books after I read that Chewie died, out of DT (I got VP after I read DT) :_|. I just can't read VP now. Now in SBS Anakin dies. I don't know why or what some of you have against the Solo kids but I like them. I wasn't as upset with Anakin's death as Chewie's, but I did feel sad. :( I worry about who will die next. As someone else wrote though SBS may be the turning point :confused: If so there are still to many books left to rule out more death. I may actualy be reading the books because I worry about who will die next. [face_shocked]

23. Rogue-Leader

Rogue-Leader Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2001
    If Wedge dies, someone's getting a beat down.

24. Shadow1

Shadow1 Jedi Youngling

Mar 13, 2002
    If its star wars then ill read it no matter what, regardless of how bad it is(remember the crystal star?Yuch).

What we all have to keep in mind is that the NJO books are meant to be viewed as one big story as apposed to lots of small ones, which is how the movies were planned out, so i think we should wait till the last book before we write the whole plot line off. Many people said that the Phantom Menace sucked but i think they will think differently after they have seen EPII and EPIII as im sure will be the case with NJO.

25. SWMara

SWMara Jedi Youngling star 3

May 28, 2001
    I would like to show Del Ray that they can't do everything and stop reading, but I don't think I'll make it. SW is just a part of my life, especially the EU and there is still hope they will bring Anakin back...
    I didn' care that much until Conquest. that was the first really good book in NJO and it made me choose new favourite characters who I really cared for, Anakin and Tahiri.
    Rebirth only furthered the process. they werde so promising! and what aout all those prophecies concerning Anakin? the all said he would do and be something big!
    I have to finish SbS yet. then I will decide if I buy the other books...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.