main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How have you reacted to the NJO after the death of a major character in Star by Star?

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Raz927, Feb 7, 2002.

?

How have you reacted to the NJO after the death of a major character in Star by Star?

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
  1. I loved it-- I hope they kill more characters, keeps me glued to my seat

5.4%
  2. It didn't really affect me, I view the NJO same as previously

2.3%
  3. I'm angry they did that, but I must admit it made the story more interesting

30.0%
  4. I hate the NJO now! But I'll keep reading star wars books even if the Vong kill everyone and the ti

15.4%
  5. I stopped reading the NJO after Star by Star

4.6%
  6. The NJO has been bad from the beginning

23.8%
  7. It was sad, but it's part of what I love about the NJO

13.8%
  8. Its great, I just hope no one else dies

4.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoA_Hasek-Antilles

GoA_Hasek-Antilles Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 27, 2002
    They can wax just about anyone except for a select few: Any of the extended Antilles-Fel clan (Wedge and Soontir's respective families), the Celchus, and Janson and Hobbie. And why can't Janson get some sort of relationship going? He's the DARLING ONE!!!

2. Playa_numero_1

Playa_numero_1 Jedi Youngling

May 6, 2002
    Good job killing Anakin! Chewbacca should still be alive, though.

3. Jedi_Knight_Satine

Jedi_Knight_Satine Jedi Padawan star 4

May 5, 2002
    Ugh. I hated it when they killed both of them. For Chewie I cried for the rest of that book and another one. The wound was just healing when I read Star by Star realizing that Anakin ruled my universe and then he died and I still cry everytime I hear about it. I will never get over it and am not reading the books unless he says something again. *slaps the book sbs*

4. Obi-Wan's Apparition

Obi-Wan's Apparition Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 10, 2000
    I'm afraid to say that I think the NJO has been bad from the begining. The only books I really liked were the DT books, Balance Point, and SBS. The others are just... blah. I don't hate them because of the deaths, I don't care for them because the story has dragged on forever. [face_plain] I still read them because I want to know the story, but the story could have been written about in at least half as many books.

5. _Zap_

_Zap_ Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 28, 2002
    where's the i hate delrey now but i'm still going to read the star wars books option?

6. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    I agree with RF. Ive accepted the fact that characters die in novels, and there have been many, many times that I havent agreed with the authors choice. But, in Anakin's particular case, the book and series had that much more impact because he was a major character. If Tekli died obviously very few would care; but, at the same time, it would have had little or no effect on the series as a whole. Anakin's death wasnt merely a plot device or a way to sell more books; his character needed to die so we could see the severity and absolute cruelness of this new enemy. After SbS we all learned that the Vong are not to be trifled with.

7. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    Hey, let's get this going again.

With 5 novels and an e-book's worth of hindsight (and a new installment around the corner!) who thinks the death of Anakin Skywalker drasticly changed the NJO series? ?[face_plain]

I'll admit that I'm still back at Traitor atm but after SbS the only huge changes IMO were Han and Leia being cemented together, Jacen being taken by the Vong, Jaina nearly going Dark Side, Tenel Ka assuming the thrown of Hapes, the appearance and sudden death of Irek Ismaren, the death of Czulkang Lah and the Battle Of Borleias.....

I dunno, style issues aside I think it's chugging along at about the same pace it was before the event. Surely we're due another big death soon? ;)

8. Jedi_Loon

Jedi_Loon Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 15, 2002
    It made it a little interesting I suppose, destroyed all my great theories tho' :(

9. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    ...who thinks the death of Anakin Skywalker drasticly changed the NJO series?

The Chosen One is in the NJO ?! I must have missed that one... :p

10. Aunecah_Skywalker

Aunecah_Skywalker Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 25, 2002
    I happen to think that the NJO is becoming better. DW was terrible as usual, but the paperbacks in between - I enjoyed them a great deal. Traitor is my favorite of the four, followed closely by Rebel Stand .

Aunecah

11. CptCorranHorn

CptCorranHorn Jedi Master star 5

Oct 16, 2002
    The NJO started off kinda bad, but it showed how serious things were going to become, with the death of Chewbacca.

the series does pretty well by the time SbS roles around, and then they kill off Anakin. I hated that. Anakin was one of my favorite characters! They should have killed off Jacen. I think that would have made more of an impact.

But, it has become a whole heckuva lot better since then. Although I'm mad, and I think things should be different, I will still read with great interest, because things can only get better.

12. DarthAttorney

Nov 8, 2000
    Guh....you know I meant Anakin Solo [face_blush]

Or would you just prefer "Jimmy" as he was commonly known as for awhile there? ;)

13. Friend_of_Skylark

Friend_of_Skylark Jedi Knight star 5

May 19, 2002
    I read half of SbS and couldn't even get to the part where he died before I chickened out. I think I'm going to read older star wars books that I missed before I go back to the NJO. I really want to read I, Jedi.

Any suggestions as to which to avoid and which to hit?

14. Ysanne_Isard

Ysanne_Isard Jedi Master star 5

Oct 27, 2002
    As a personal thing, avoid The Crystal Star, Children of the Jedi, and anything by KJA.

On topic- I actually started to cry in the middle of a football game when I read Anakin's death. I hadn't known about it ahead of time, I was so surprised. It hasn't much changed the NJO for me, but I really hope they don't kill off anymore characters. I was so scared that Aaron Allston was going to kill Wedge at the end of Rebel Stand.

15. DarthAttorney

Nov 8, 2000
    F_O_S: Any of the "Tales Of...." series are pretty good and I highly recommend "Shadows Of The Empire".

Ysanne: I know, I started reading Wedge's stuff really carefully when he was piloting Blackmoon 11 off Borleais....I thought for sure he was in for it from the way the text was reading. I liked Janson's little quip afterwards too, sort of solidifies the fact that Wedge actually is the best starfighter pilot of all time. ;)

16. slobadog

slobadog Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2002
    you forgot about borsk fey'lya. he died also

17. Solo42986

Solo42986 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 4, 2002
    Yeah, but he was nasty and I wasn't all that sad to see him go. I was sad that another long time SW character died, but personaly he wasn't one of my favorites.
    Now Anakin on the other hand, that was a blow. I didn't know about his death before hand so when he did die I had to keep reading that passage over and over before it actually sunk in. I accecpt the fact the people do die but why him? he had so much potential, and was being hyped up so much I was waiting for some sort of miracle to happen. Not some kind of cheesy miracle that Del Rey would naturally come up with, but a well-written one.
    All I hope for is that he makes a return; and that Luke doesn't find this mystical thing at Z-S and all of a sudden the Vong are dead and everything goes back to normal, that would just suck big time.

18. Star-Lead

Star-Lead Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 22, 2003
    *produces UN Spacy fleet concealed in back pocket*

I have trouble reading anything past Rebirth thanks to the book that shall not be named.

*fires Macross cannons at SBS*

Go away, or I'll fire those things again.

19. YODA_---_SITH

YODA_---_SITH Jedi Youngling

Apr 4, 2003
    I hated it yet at the same time it was was needed. chewies death was worse to me tho.

20. Star-Lead

Star-Lead Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 22, 2003
    Needed how?

21. skywalkerforce

skywalkerforce Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 17, 2003
    I hated it. I thought the death was senseless.

22. Arissa

Arissa Jedi Master star 4

Apr 7, 2003
    I cried when they killed of Anakin, he was my favorite character. It wasn`t that worse when the killed Chewie but that made me very sad,too. :_|
    I understand why they killed major chacacters, they wanted to edd some spice into the NJO.Make it more unpredictable.

But after SbS I was determined to stop reading the NJO when the kill of just one more main character and don`t convince me that there was a good reason to kill the poor boy so young! :mad:

After reading the following books, especially Traitor, I dicited to read on but i`m still waiting for a really good excuse.

23. DarthAttorney

Nov 8, 2000
    C'mon! :eek:

You can't tell me that Ganner's Last Stand in Traitor wasn't one of the defining moments of the NJO!

Damn that final chapter of his was powerful for me, the way that Stover turned Ganner around from a childish grandstander to an absolute legend (literally so for the Vong) over the course of about 4 chapters was nothing short of phenomenal.

:)

24. Arissa

Arissa Jedi Master star 4

Apr 7, 2003
    Ganner last stand was great, but they didn`t had to kill anni for this, to capture Jacen
    would have been enough.
    But to be true, i can`t imagen to forgive them, no matter how good their reasons were.
    I loved Anakin to much.

Traitor was the best Njo book so far.

25. DarthAttorney

Nov 8, 2000
    Personally, I can't imagine a more fitting ending to Anakin Solo. Fighting to save the people he loved the most, sacrificing himself doing what he loved and did best. it didn't make it any easier to read, I do admit that. But as I read the stuff about him gloqwing and crackling with pure Force energy...I just thought it kinda felt like the final jigsaw piece fitting together with the puzzle or something.

"The star that shines brightest burns half as long"

:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.