How I became a target demographic (week 4 daily task 1)

Discussion in 'Big Brother Strikes Back' started by B'omarr, May 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. B'omarr Force Ghost

star 6
    Whomever is reading this may not be a male ages 4-12 between the years 1977 and 1983, but those that were know this one fact to be true: everyone had or wanted Star Wars toys during those years. Between those years, if someone would have offered me my own island nation, rich in natural resources and cheese, or a Darth Vader carrying case chock full of Star Wars figures named after the shapes of their respective heads, well I'd take the case.

That said, everyone owned Star Wars figures in my neighborhood. From the rich kid that everyone hated, but played with anyway since he had the best stuff, to the bullies across the street with the chewed on figures, everyone loved Star Wars.

There were huge gatherings in our neighborhoods were people would bring their toys to play. This way, the armies of the rebellion and empire would be best represented by multiple vehicles (yes, dividing them back up at the end of the day would frequently get you someone else's X-wing).

One particular day, around 1981 or so, myself and a couple of the other kids in the neighborhood were playing in a dirty ditch, causing landslides to cover our heroes, and causing further setbacks to the rebellion as a whole. This other kid named Lee, I think, showed up, showing off his newest figure: Yoda.

[image=http://rogue-collection.50megs.com/wallpapers/figwalls/ESBfig-Yoda.jpg]

We all drooled over it, admiring the 'real feel' cloth and beautiful orange snake Yoda wore around his neck for a bit of spice. I immediately offered a trade: Greedo and an X-wing Luke. No dice.

But I was crafty. Crafty and evil on this particular day. As we were playing, as soon as Lee turned his attention elsewere, I buried his Yoda in a landslide of dirt. I speculated that we would all say it was lost, and I would remember it's exact location, and much like Blackbeard, uncover my treasure later. We lost figures constantly, so I didn't suspect that anyone would be suspicious of losing tiny little Yoda.

After a while, we all left, upset that the lone neighborhood Yoda had been lost. I came back the next day, relying on my memory to find where "X" marked. I dug all over, but couldn't find Yoda anywhere. My plan wasn't working! I think I dug in that ditch for two weeks, through the heat and the rain, and never found Yoda.

As for Lee, he must have thrown quite a tantrum at home, because within a few days, he already had a replacement Yoda. I think he knew that one of us had probably snuck it away for our own, but he never said anything, he just stole a few stormtroopers back for payment.

As for the poor Yoda toy, I did end up finding it. Two months later. In a dog's mouth. In retrospect, I suppose it was karma that kept me from Yoda. The cosmos can be a harsh mistress for those who have it coming. That's the real lesson here. Don't mess with the cosmos.
  2. Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    Yep. Karma and dirt aren't a good pair. That dog was sent to help you learn a valuable lesson. I hope after all these years you realize your evil and trecherous mistake.

Wait a minute...where's my Ballerina Barbie?

John! :mad:
  3. JediPrincessKas Force Ghost

star 5
    Wonderful story, John. :D In the end, who won the war? The Empire or the Rebels? :p It didn't have to go like the movies, ya know.

And I'm sorry to hear about poor Yoda. A dog's mouth isn't a very good fate for the wisest Jedi of all time.
  4. B'omarr Force Ghost

star 6
    I think most of the neighborhood battles ended in a stalemate, because we'd be called home to dinner, or find something distracting, like a bee's nest. [face_laugh]

The other times, the Empire won. Those poor repressed rebels. :(

I think though, just because of childhood memories like this, I'm much closer to the actual Star Wars toys and products than I am to the movies. The movies are great, but there were some pretty sweet adventures that Luke, Leia and the gang had on my bedroom floor. They got to fight Batman too.
  5. NarundiJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    ". . .But I don't think he likes it too much. Every chance he gets, he goes to dig, squat, and bury. . ."

Loved your little tale, John. [face_devil]

Jae Angel
  6. JediPrincessKas Force Ghost

star 5
    The movies are great, but there were some pretty sweet adventures that Luke, Leia and the gang had on my bedroom floor.

Do I even want to know? :eek: [face_sick]

:p
  7. Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    If it's anything like the adventures my Barbie had with the neighbor boy's GI Joe, I don't think you do, Kas.
  8. RidingMyCarousel Force Ghost

star 6
    Wow, that brings back a lot of memories of my own. I want to pull out my action figures and go play now. Maybe I can convince Sara to go play Star Wars action figures with me or something? ;)

Hehe. :D

:p

~ James
  9. NarundiJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Yes, I did equally mischievous things with my Barbies and 12-inch GI Joe guy. I was a strange child, and I had to have both. Actually, Barbie just got sick of Ken's wimpy muscles and wanted the REAL muscle that only Joe could give her. :D

That still isn't as good as the time my next door neighbor and I tried to make a campfire for the Ninja Turtles using lighter fluid. :) Or the time we put an M-80 in GI Joe's jeep and blew that mofo sky high. :D It's a miracle I made it to adulthood. [face_plain]

Jae Angel
  10. B'omarr Force Ghost

star 6
    Nothing made GI Joes quite as much fun as the firecrackers bought around the 4th of July. If placed correctly, you could make the jeeps and motorcycles flip, flip, flip all over the place.

Star Wars and Transformers though, they never saw a firecracker from me. Except Dengar. He was already bandaged up, so why not tie him to a bottle rocket and shoot him down the street?
  11. NarundiJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Nothing made GI Joes quite as much fun as the firecrackers bought around the 4th of July. If placed correctly, you could make the jeeps and motorcycles flip, flip, flip all over the place.

Ah, a man after my own heart! [face_love] Do you remember those little tiny bulb things where if you threw them against something they pop real loud? We used to use those to simulate the sound of a leg or neck breaking with our GI Joes. :) We eleven year olds got real into the grittiness of war roleplay. ;)

Jae Angel
  12. B'omarr Force Ghost

star 6
    [face_laugh] Yep, they were called 'snap-pops' or something like that. I never used those with my toys, but I used them to scare people while we were playing tag.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.