Story [How I Met Your Mother] How I Moved On (Mods' Shuffle Challenge)

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by NYCitygurl, Jan 22, 2012.

Moderators: Mira_Jade, NYCitygurl
  1. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    Author: NYCitygurl
    Title: How I Moved On
    Characters: The main five
    Timeframe: All over the place
    Summary: It's hard to move on, but it's rewarding, too.
    Notes: Written for the Mods' Shuffle Challenge (though not in competition, obviously :p ).

I got an interesting selection of songs. Three were by the Beatles (which I'm saving for another idea) and two I'd never evern heard before (the dangers of letting your friends load literally hundreds of songs onto your iTunes). So I went with the remaining five :p

How I Moved On

Meant to Live ? Switchfoot

Ted sat on the bed.

People went in and out ? Lily, Marshall, Barney, Robin, his parents ? but none of their exclamations of surprise or anger or sympathy could shake him from the numbness.

The anger would come, but right now, Ted knew, it was better to feel nothing, even for a little bit. He knew the pain might be more than he could take.

It wasn?t, he discovered later.

He tried to play it cool, avoiding his feelings and avoiding her. Then he got mad ? because she should have been with him, damn it, they?d been building a life together.

Then came acceptance, because she was with the man she was meant to be with.

He went through that cycle again when he ran into her, and then again when that stupid movie came out.

But by that time, he?d realized that he had gotten past it. He could take it.

Stella had made him a different person, and that person was the man who was going to marry the mother of his children and live happily ever after.

He couldn?t wait.

~~~~

Firework ? Katy Perry

At the end of the date, there were fireworks.

There had been fireworks through ? nasty ones, from the moment they?d met, and then the kind that led to passion. Robin couldn?t remember ever being like this with a man ? not even with Ted or Barney.

At the end of the relationship, there were no fireworks. There was just emptiness.

Don walked out the door and hopped on a plane to Chicago to accept the job she?d turned down for him. Robin walked in the door to Ted?s apartment and cried, wondering why she?d ever been so stupid to choose love instead of her career.

Relationships need more than fireworks. The sizzling bursts of color and passion and light flare brilliantly, but they burn out fast. A real relationship is the kind that keeps the light going.

It took Robin a while to learn that. It took Barney a while, too.

~~~~

Mockingbird ? Rob Thomas

Marshall was devastated for the entire summer.

He and Lily had been together for ten years, and now she needed more and had left him alone. Despite his friends? lessening tolerances for his crying jags, Marshall grieved for a long time.

Then, one day, he woke up, and it didn?t hurt as much.

That was the day after he?d learned that she wasn?t coming back.

Every day, it got a little easier. Eventually, he could face her, speak to her, be in the same room with her.

Eventually, he could even date someone else. But that was when he learned that he actually couldn?t do that. He still loved Lily.

Lily was the love of his live, his shadow, his other self.

It was a brief hiccup in the happily-ever-after story that was Marshall and Lily. Most men would try to forget the whole thing, because who would want to remember that pain? Marshall held onto it, though, because it made him remember what it was like without her and treasure the time they had together.

~~~

Piano Man ? Billy Joel

Of all the bars in all the cities in the world, Robin walked into MacLarens.

Barney barely noticed.

For years, she was just a friend, Ted?s girlfriend ? someone cool, but not someone who meant anything more special than anyone else.

It took him a while, but Barney figured it out.

Even after that, it took him a year to screw up the courage to admit it t
  2. Hazel Force Ghost

star 4
  3. karebear214 Force Ghost

star 4
    These were really great - each packed a lot of emotional punch in very few words. I think my favorite was "Firework" but "Play it, Sam" just hit right to the heart. Also, we have similar musical taste, apparently, because I've got all these songs on my iTunes too!
  4. mavjade It's so Fluffy Fanfic & New Movies Manager

Manager
    star 5
    I have the same problem with music. Frequently when I put it on shuffle there are songs I've never heard before. 8-}

I loved them all but I think Piano Man was my favorite. The Barney/Robin thing always made me so sad!! (Unfortunately, I've not seen any of this season so I have no clue what is actually going on in cannon. :( ) The last line just about killed me! :_|

I also really enjoyed the last one! The mother!! :D

Great job Nat!!
    =D==D=
  5. Mira_Jade The NSWFF Manager With The Cape

Manager
    star 4
    These were legendary. :cool: You really have a knack for this fandom. :D

Firework was my favorite! That last line was such a clincher - and too true besides. [face_love]

And then, Are you Happy Now - such irony! And I do hope it wraps up that way. I really, truly do.

Wonderfully done! =D=

~MJ @};-
  6. FelsGoddess Game Host

Game Host
    star 5
    Barney smiled and nodded and pretended his heart wasn?t breaking.
    Poor Barney. :(

=D=
  7. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    Thanks for reading, all!

Hazel: Thanks!! :D

karebear: Thanks!! I?m glad you enjoyed them :) [face_laugh]

mav: [face_laugh] I probably need to discover what exactly is on there 8-} Piano Man was my favorite, too. You so need to catch up!! This season has been crazy 8-} Thanks!! [:D]

Mira: [face_laugh] Thanks!! I love HIMYM :D Glad you enjoyed!!

Fels: I know :( Hopefully it gets better!!
  8. SilSolo Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I don't know the fandom, but the stories were great.

Relationships need more than fireworks. The sizzling bursts of color and passion and light flare brilliantly, but they burn out fast. A real relationship is the kind that keeps the light going.

finding one that keeps the fires burning is the challenge lol
Moderators: Mira_Jade, NYCitygurl