main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How important is a post count?

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by YODA the all powerful, Sep 12, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YODA the all powerful

YODA the all powerful Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    Just curious... it's something about this particular foum that always interested me. At some point, people started caring about the number of times someone can type something and hit the "post reply" button. This lead to the first ever "problems" with spamming. Some feel it has lead to a general lack of quality of discussion.

So I ask a few questions of those who choose to answer (hey, it will up your post count. :D):

1) On a scale of 1 to 10, how important is a user's post count?

2) Is the user's post count more important than the average content of their posts?

3) What is "spamming?"

4) Should the Admins. deal with people who choose to post short responses, that may or may not have anything to do with the topic, and may be viewed as "upping" a person's post count?

5) Do you find yourself congradulating higher post counts more than good ideas posted in a single post?

6) Have you ever posted a J.E.D.I., S.I.T.H., or related thread? Why? Why not?

7) Do you often respond congradulatory remarks to J.E.D.I. or S.I.T.H. related threads, and why or why not?

I'm just curious.

2. Soggy-Ben Doggy

Soggy-Ben Doggy Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 9, 1999
    1) For me personally, 0.

2) Nope.

3) Good question.

4) Sometimes the only way to answer in a thread is with a short comment, which isn't always done just to up a post count.

5) Nope.

6) Nope.

7) Yes, because it's important to the person who achieved that rank.

3. shine

shine Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 5, 1999
    1) On a scale of 1 to 10, how important is a user's post count? Not much, I look to see how long they've been around.

2) Is the user's post count more important than the average content of their posts? Content?
    what is that?

3) What is "spamming?" Ok, I'm only going to explain this once. You get a pitchfork, a camera, K-Y jelly, a pot-bellied pig and a keg of the cheapest, nastiest swill that will pass for beer.

4) Should the Admins. deal with people who choose to post short responses, that may or may not have anything to do with the topic, and may be viewed as "upping" a person's post count? No, hopefully the people here will make fun of these idiots.

5) Do you find yourself congradulating higher post counts more than good ideas posted in a single post? Do you know how hard it is thinking of witty combacks 3420 times?

6) Have you ever posted a J.E.D.I., S.I.T.H., or related thread? Why? Why not? Yes, because I was proud of reaching 1000 posts, after that it should be 5000.

7) Do you often respond congradulatory remarks to J.E.D.I. or S.I.T.H. related threads, and why or why not? Yes,

"I'm just curious."

Well, Ytap, I have a girlfriend, but I do find you interesting. ;)

//growl

4. YODA the all powerful

Oct 5, 1998
  5. Soggy-Ben Doggy

Dec 9, 1999
    epic, that last part was so funny. :)

6. YODA the all powerful

Oct 5, 1998
    Oh my... I just posted a one word response... it appears you are correct Soggy. :)

7. Soggy-Ben Doggy

Dec 9, 1999
    Shame on you YTAP -- you did that just to up your post count! ;)

8. YODA the all powerful

Oct 5, 1998
    I stand guilty as charged. :D

9. Soggy-Ben Doggy

Dec 9, 1999
    But it was fun, wasn't it?

Seriously though, I really think a lot of the one word responses are not posted just to up one's post count.

10. Go-Get Beer

Go-Get Beer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 11, 2000
    She sees things before they happen. That's why she appears to have such quick reflexes. It's a Jedi trait. :D

11. Darth_Servo

Darth_Servo Jedi Youngling star 5

Nov 10, 1999
    I treat the post count thing as sort of a challenge. Sorta like beating the High Score on a video game. Do you get anything for it? Nope. Is it constructive? Nope. Then why? I dunno. Just cause.

1) 5 for entertainment value

2) Content is better. By content I don't neccessarily mean highly intellectual posts. I mean what I see as not a waste of my time. IE, RogueGroundHunter would post worthless crap and talk about people defecating on stages. Complete waste of my time. By a post by DarthNut saying 'Whoa!' is keeping with DarthNut and I would expect no more from our little nut :)

3) Spamming (to me) is pretty much the posting of useless threads or topics when only one thread is neccessary. I think of it as the same as flooding.

4) No. Sometimes a word is all it takes. If I post a one word or short response it's mostly for comedic value. The comedy is lost in a long winded response.

5) If they think they've acheived something worthwhile in their post counts, what's wrong with congratulations? To you it may be nothing but to them they feel accomplished.

6) I posted a S.I.T.H thread once. I'm now J.E.D.I x 2

7) Yup. Post count is a permanent part of this SimSociety. People sort of thinking of it as accumulating money, or if you will, points.

In closing, I think that some people think that a higher post count will gain them a certain respect or make people think they've been here longer. You're an admin. You'll be recognized. Kerry is the local kook, he'll always be remembered. When I had my Servo pic I was instantly recognized in less than three weeks. Chyren will be remembered as the heavyweight voice. Others will be rememberd because of their intellect.
    Some members however, have been around for a while and aren't recognized. They simply don't have the sense of humor, catch trait, or intellect to make them recognized so they rely on post counts to get noticed.

12. QueenSweetie

QueenSweetie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 20, 2000

I give it a 5.

2) Is the user's post count more important than the average content of their posts?

no

3) What is "spamming?"

Is that short for spam?

4) Should the Admins. deal with people who choose to post short responses, that may or may not have anything to do with the topic, and may be viewed as "upping" a person's post count?

whoa that's cool

5) Do you find yourself congradulating higher post counts more than good ideas posted in a single post?

no

yes I felt that I posted somewhat good threads and I have only posted atleast 100 one word replies and the rest were thought out or posted for fun. So why not show everyone that I did a good thing.

7) Do you often respond congradulatory remarks to J.E.D.I. or S.I.T.H. related threads, and why or why not?

Yes, but only if I know they deserved it by actually posting and not one word responses all the time

13. YODA the all powerful

Oct 5, 1998
    VERY interesting thoughts Servo. From what you are saying, it might seem that a post count is an alternative way of seeking a reputation, but since you view post count importance as a 5, then it seems that such a reputation is only "average." It's almost like, for lack of a better metaphor, a "common man's" approach to immortality... I like that. That fits.

I also liked what you said WRT Darth Nut's postings. Eventually, you tend to view it as something to be expected from the personality... eventually you get to know that personality. That is certainly a benefit from higher posting averages.. you communicate your personality a lot faster, than, say, me, for example.

I'm not making any judgements here. I'm trying as hard as I can to keep my opinions out of this and look at the issue subjectively.

I like the responses so far. I hope to get as many opinions on this as I can. It is an issue I have been looking at for the JC History thread I am still working on, and this is part of my research here.

14. Darth_Servo

Nov 10, 1999
    Wow. . . I earned the attention of YTAP. . .
    I AM capable of intellect occasionally :)

15. Darth 47.1

Darth 47.1 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 3, 1999

No

3) What is "spamming?"

Posting alot of stupid advertisements, hitting reply a dozen plus times or posting for the sake of upping your count

Depends. Some people are just not very imaginative

Not really.

Yeah, because it was the in thing and made it to "S.I.T.H." 100 posts ago.

No, frivilous posting.

16. Soggy-Ben Doggy

Dec 9, 1999
    Ahhh, so that's what spamming means. I thought it was something you did with a frying pan before you cooked with it to keep the food from sticking. You know, some people use Pam and others Spam.

17. Darth_Servo

Nov 10, 1999
    Spam is canned Ham Soggy :p

18. Soggy-Ben Doggy

Dec 9, 1999
    I know that, but it's really greasy stuff. If you ever try it, you'll have to admit it does a great job of greasing a pan.

19. Chyren

Chyren Manager Emeritus star 5

Sep 30, 1998

-- No, of course not. Post counts seem to often be inversely proportional to the thoughtfulness of post content. Longevity of posting, of course, negates this.

3) What is "spamming?"

-- Spamming is the act of posting the same message, or a message that is largely the same in content - over and over again or to multiple forums/lists/newsgroups. It is also the advertisement of a personal site or scheme. It is the internet equivalent of door-to-door salesmen or really irritating ********s in pubs.

4) Should the Admins. deal with people who post short responses, that ..may be viewed as "upping" a person's post count?

-- Yes. Mock them with extreme prejudice, then cancel their username so they have to start all over again. Rinse. Wipe hands. Repeat. This is in the case of someone posting frivolously to up their count.

5) Do you find yourself congratulating higher post counts more than good ideas posted in a single post?

-- Absolutely, categorically not.

-- Once, when I hit 6k. Once, also, when I hit a year of posting (just passed the 2 year mark a few days ago, actually). It seemed like a good idea at the time, for the former. For the latter, I was extremely drunk.

-- Only if the person is known to me, or deserves congratulation for whatever.

"I'm just curious."

-- I have often said so.

20. Darth_Servo

Nov 10, 1999
    I'll try that out sometime Soggs :)

21. Norman

Norman Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 3, 1999
    I may be repeating some thoughts that have already been said in here, but hey, since I didn't read them, they're still mine, too. ;-)

I'm going to answer this last.

Absolutely not. But there's some qualifications to this.

3) What is "spamming?"

One could get technical, but I think the simplest definition of "spam" is any post that everyone but the poster himself reads and thinks, "Just shut the hell up." I like this definition because it incorporates some forms of flaming, as well.

Nah, what's the use? Just let people berate them, within reason.

Not at all. I'm rarely aware of anyone else's post count.

Sort of. For my thousandth post, I made an obnoxious thread saying that I would not participate in pointless self-congratulation. However, this was during the final death spasms of the UBB, and the thread never showed up. The height of irony, if I do say so myself. :)

Nope. I've made it a point not to.

Okay, here are my thoughts on post counts, which I didn't put after the first question. The actual number itself is insignificant (to me, at least), but the volume of a person's contribution to this board can't help but be noticable. That's the problem I have with any of these discussions, they never make what I feel is an important distinction between "post count" and what I'll call "visibility."

Visibility is *very* important, and it is very difficult to achieve without some significant number of posts. There is a glut of posters here--I don't think anyone would disagree with that. And no matter how well thought-out and eloquent your posts are, if they are rare and appear only when something really strikes a chord with you, they get lost. I've read many great posts here by people I've never heard of, and thought to myself that I'd keep an eye out for that person, only to see them once or twice more and eventually they fade from my mind. It's inevitable. And the only way I know of combatting this is to "get your name out there," so to speak.

Content is supreme, in my mind, but I don't think one can make a name for himself here without a bit of padding. There's just too much going on here all the time to rely on the power of infrequent posts.

That's why I say that "post count" itself is insignificant, but that how many posts a person makes can't help but be important.

Anyway, I hope that makes sense, and that I've made some sort of original contribution to this thread.

22. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    Funny how the people who have responded to this topic and have all categorically denied that post count is important all have big post counts ;D

I reckon one of the good things about the old UBB JC was the removal of the Padawan tag. If you really cared about a poster's post count you had to go to all the trouble of viewing their profile. On my comp, this took hours.

Now we have stars. All you have to do is wave your mouse over the stars and the post count appears.

Stars are ruining everything and should be retired ASAP. As far as I'm concerned anyone who claims that the number of stars by your name doesn't mean anything is either lying or is totally naive.

I'm constantly amazed by certain members who manage to amass 2000+ posts in a matter of months by doing little more than posting 'blah', 'uppers', 'applesauce' and other examples monosyllabic nonsensical garbage.
    And for what? So they can get more stars next to their name like this really matters.

Perhaps instead of stars, we can can display that member's registration date. Perhaps 'status' can be earned by longetivity rather than the ability to "type something and hit the "post reply" button" in the words of YTAP.

But, I have only got one star next to my name so who cares anyway right?

Cheers

23. Darth_Servo

Nov 10, 1999
    Absolutely Norman!
    That goes well with what I was saying about individuality!

24. shine

shine Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 5, 1999
    I categorize the last part of Normans's post as spamming. :p

25. Crow_T_Kenobi

Crow_T_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 9, 2000

-Absolutely. If they don't have enough posts I instantly ignore everything they say.

3) What is "spamming?"

-See: RougeGroundHunter

-No. Infact people should be encouraged to post one letter responses to eventually form complete sentences and thoughts.

-Undoubtably. The content of peoples posts is meaningless if their post count isn't high enough.

-No. I plan to start a new thread on it every time in the future though.

-No. But I finally pay attention to them when they reach that mark.

//end extreme sarcasm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.