main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How important is a post count?

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by YODA the all powerful, Sep 12, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Happy Fun Maul

Happy Fun Maul Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 2, 1999
    Longevity has about as much significance as post counts. None. You don't earn respect for time served.

There are people who've been here forever who are asses and there are people who've been here forever who aren't asses. There are people who have 5000 posts who are asses and there are people with 5000 posts who aren't asses. Now insert the words "less than a month," and "50 posts," in those sentences respectively.

Too many "q" words FB. Head hurts.

Woo-hoo! 108 posts and counting. Proud to have registered in '98.

2. Belvana

Belvana Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 29, 2000
    that all leads me to another question:
    are you automatically stupid when you post more than 10 times a day here???
    i often do, and not because i want to upp my post count, but because i like being here and taking part of something... so, am i stupid now?

3. FreeBeer.com

FreeBeer.com Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 21, 1999
    This is a question coming from someone who doesn't capitalize proper nouns, it's hard to take you seriously.

4. Belvana

Belvana Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 29, 2000
    How kind.

5. scum&villainy

scum&villainy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 8, 1999
  6. Commander Wedge Antilles

Commander Wedge Antilles Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 13, 1999
    Well im not going to answer by number, because i have just returned home from a four hour physics lab.... heh heh heh <maniacal laughter>

I dont think post count is too important, I usally look at the registered date of a person I dont know first, then recent posts and the number then, and actually if i see the ratio of posts to days on the forum is high, I probably am prejudiced to thinking they posted eg a thousand times in a few days just to get four stars or something to that effect.

I have spent over a year here, and have 2000 posts between the board changes and deletions, and didnt have a SITH thread either time, and im kinda proud of that. I only post in the SITH threads of my friends or people i respect, unless its to insult ;o)

If somebody posts a really thoughtful, funny or otherwise worthwile post, i don't usually applaud it, why bother, usually someone else does and for me to say "that was good" or "ditto" would take away from their effort.

On hotline, they have stats for amount of chat posted, hours spent online, and files uploaded downloaded, and a leech rating
    its possible to bluff them, but when you see a 1.4 meg chat rating on somebody, and that theyve been online for a 4 months cumulative, like 2000 hours , you have to respect that :D
    ive been there a year too, and only have 283k of chat and 22 days of time clocked in :D

so thats what i think would be a beneficial feature, how many posts a person has read, not posted

7. Shar Kida

Shar Kida Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 1999
  8. Commander Wedge Antilles

Apr 13, 1999
  9. Kyle Altis

Kyle Altis Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 30, 1999
    There is a flip side to this equation.

Those who interact most in all the easy-going roleplaying/talk threads in the JCC will become recognisable around the same time as they achieve a high individual post count. Two hundred and fifty (3 stars) one-line interactive replies take very little time to think of or type: I remember a thread whose author claimed 150 posts in a single day.

Perhaps, originally, it was not the post count that was key, rather that the poster was highly visible and, thanks to interaction, somewhat known. However, what was seen by the average new member was the high post count -- and so, gradually, the post count number replaced true interaction as the measure of popularity.

10. scum&villainy

Oct 8, 1999
    The 'hierachy' here is an interesting phenomenon - especially in the Community forum.

11. Commander Wedge Antilles

Apr 13, 1999
    flips out at the mention of equations

also, there are certain threads that people wont post in because people can form groups within them and sometimes they turn into chat threads , some examples of this that i post in are the BDD threads and such

also, when somebody comes into one forum from another, they could have a few thousand posts and still get "where the hell did this person come from?", even some of the admins :D

12. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    Thanks for posting this thread, YTAP. I posted a similar set of questions in one of the Member Updates, but that thread got lost in the Snowboard Move.

1) On a scale of 1 to 10, how important is a user's post count?

I'd say about 4 or so.

Back in the old days ('98/early '99), a high post count had more significance than it does now. It was VERY rare to see someone pass the 1000 mark back then, so if you had a high post count, you had (as Norman stated) high visibility and you were someone who contributed a lot to the quality of the forums. It wasn't until around June of '99 that people really started posting just to up their post counts, and thus the importance of post counts became less and less. They're still fun to talk about in Member Updates and stuff, but I wouldn't really consider them important anymore.

2) Is the user's post count more important than the average content of their posts?

No. I believe in "Quality over Quantity" (as a wise member once said).

3) What is "spamming?"

I think the following things fall under spamming: posting to a thread simply to up your post count, posting an advertising/soliciting thread in multiple forums and posting lots and lots of threads in a short amount of time.

4) Should the Admins. deal with people who choose to post short responses, that may or may not have anything to do with the topic, and may be viewed as "upping" a person's post count?

That's a really tricky thing, so I think it should be treated on a case-by-case basis.

5) Do you find yourself congradulating higher post counts more than good ideas posted in a single post?

No. Good ideas in posts are harder to find than people with high post counts.

6) Have you ever posted a J.E.D.I., S.I.T.H., or related thread? Why? Why not?

Unless you count the Member Updates, I've only posted one such thread, and it was called "Son of the Suns is S.I.T.H now". I decided to post to that thread everytime I reached a certain amount of posts, but the thread's gone now and I don't feel like reposting it. It's worth noting that I had previously reached S.I.T.H under Qui Gonn With The Wind2.0, but I didn't post about it.

7) Do you often respond congradulatory remarks to J.E.D.I. or S.I.T.H. related threads, and why or why not?

Yes, I often do that. Why? Well, because I think it's nice to congratulate those who are happy about reaching a "milestone" like that.

13. Darth_Servo

Darth_Servo Jedi Youngling star 5

Nov 10, 1999
    Gya!
    I used up my time making not one, but TOW long serious posts and the only one who noticed was YTAP :(
    Now you know why I don't waste my time making intellectual posts. People pass right over them.

14. Silmarillion

Silmarillion Manager Emerita/Ex RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 1999

2) Is the user's post count more important than the average content of their posts?

-- No way. An intelligent post is worth more than 1000 one word posts. It's just annoying.

3) What is "spamming?"

-- Posting the same thing over and over again.

4) Should the Admins. deal with people who choose to post short responses, that may or may not have anything to do with the topic, and may be viewed as "upping" a person's post count?

-- Yes, I think so. It deserves a warning, definitely. I don't come here at the end of the day to read one-word posts.

5) Do you find yourself congradulating higher post counts more than good ideas posted in a single post?

-- Nope.

-- Nope. They bore the crap out of me. There's so many people here now, that it's a dime a dozen.

7) Do you often respond congradulatory remarks to J.E.D.I. or S.I.T.H. related threads, and why or why not?

-- Only if they're a good friend.

I'm just curious.

-- So am I. :)

15. sorcha

sorcha Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 9, 2000
    what the who, I'll add my two cents:

Uh, personally, I'd say 2 or 3. The post count importance is purely superficial. I mean, I wasn't thrilled when I lost around 450 posts after the move to Snowboards, but it must not mean too much to me, considering I just registered a new name, losing yet more posts.

I honestly don't pay much attention to post counts. I'd say quality posts are much more important that hight post counts.

3) What is "spamming?"

uh, what *is* spamming?

Nah, not unless a poster makes a bad habit out of posting short useless responses that have nothing to do with the topic.

No, can't say that I do that.

No, because I've never reached J.E.D.I. or S.I.T.H. And if I ever reach J.E.D.I. or S.I.T.H. I highly doubt I'd start a thread about it.

Sometimes, but not always. Usually I'll only respond if I recognize the username.

16. Kyle Altis

Kyle Altis Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 30, 1999
    "I used up my time making not one, but TWO long serious posts and the only one who noticed was YTAP :( "

Don't be so sure, Darth_Servo ...

17. Beowulf

Beowulf Jedi Master star 5

May 28, 1999
    1. 10

2. No

3. Bad stuff

4. Not at all, its everybody's right to do that

5. Not always

6. Oh yes, cause I wanted to damnit.

7. Sometimes, when I'm in the mood.

18. Modal+Nodes+Freak

Modal+Nodes+Freak Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 27, 1999
    i honestly don't care in the least about my post count.

besides it always stays about the same from threads and posts getting deleted that i post or post in >:D

19. Emuboy

Emuboy Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 7, 1999
    I think there is SOMETHING to post count to pride yourself in. It's sort of a stupid geek badge, like hours playing Perfect Dark. Even if all of your posts are awful, it still takes time to post them. A high post count says "I wasted X amount of time on this board!" Also, a lot of one word posters still read the thread. People with high post counts have a tendency to to recognize more people on the boards, even if they contribute very little themselves.

But don't get me wrong. I have far more respect for some who barely post anything but make intelligent posts.

20. Poodu

Poodu Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 3, 1999
    1) 10 being most important, I would say 2

2) Not at all

3) Spamming I would define as being posting messages which bear no or little relevance in the thread

4) No. Not unless it is blatant spamming. If that was the case, anyone who wandered off topic in a thread could run the risk of being banned/barred.

5) No

6) I have, when I reached 1000 posts. This was because at the time it was something that was done. When you reached a certain level of posts it meant you had 'graduated' almost. It meant you had ceased being a newbie and could take your place in the higher echelons of the JC structure. It is only once you reach that level that you realise what a load of rubbish that means.

7) Not any more, because I realise it is meaningless.

Also, would you see a post count as a kind of phalic symbol, like a fast car or expensive suit?

21. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    I would take far greater pride in WHAT I've posted moreso than how MUCH I've posted.

22. scum&villainy

Oct 8, 1999
    No - a pst count is not a status symbol. It is simply an indication of how many times you have posted to this board.

That's all.

23. Commander Wedge Antilles

Apr 13, 1999
    nice choice of using the conditional there epic ;o)

24. Jedi_Hood

Jedi_Hood Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 10, 2000
    My post count means everything to me. ;)

25. Santee Ordrin

Santee Ordrin Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 9, 1998

3 - post count is not and should not be the basis for someone's ego. Reputation of being an intellectual and well thought out poster, otherwise known as quality poster.

Of course not. The content of the posts is more important than the count.

3) What is "spamming?"

Sapmming to me means advertisements of ones webpage in everyone's threads, posting just ot up ones post count, or posting multiple threads of no real mature and thoughtful content in a single day.

Yes, a short warning or "spank" should rid us of the problem of spamming from most users.

No, I tend to congratulate the content more than the count.

I did, somewhat. When on the old UBB. It had taken me around 2 yrs to make SITH, and I was proud of the quality of my posts as compared to the quantity.

I have, if the original poster warranted it. For most who have made it within a half a year, no. But other than that, yes it is somewhat of an achievement.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.