main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How important is a post count?

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by YODA the all powerful, Sep 12, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediWarrior

JediWarrior Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 7, 2000
    About this much

2. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    1) On a scale of 1 to 10, how important is a user's post count?

To me, 0.

2) Is the user's post count more important than the average content of their posts?

If they have really good posts, I don't care if they don't even have a star.

3) What is "spamming?"

Posting something over and over again, whether through PM or in a thread, just to up your post count or get people to reply.

4) Should the Admins. deal with people who choose to post short responses, that may or may not have anything to do with the topic, and may be viewed as "upping" a person's post count?

It depends. If it happens really often in one particular thread, yes. Otherwise, no.

5) Do you find yourself congradulating higher post counts more than good ideas posted in a single post?

No. Unless the post number is brought up...

6) Have you ever posted a J.E.D.I., S.I.T.H., or related thread? Why? Why not?

No. In the first place, why should I??? Besides, it's not something I *want* to post...

7) Do you often respond congradulatory remarks to J.E.D.I. or S.I.T.H. related threads, and why or why not?

Yes. It's fine, and anyway this si the JC Community...

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  3. Darth_Servo

Darth_Servo Jedi Youngling star 5

Nov 10, 1999
    Wow. . . I WAS noticed. . .
    post count +1

4. YODA the all powerful

YODA the all powerful Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    Here's the running total so far. I noticed one of the qeuestions was poorly phrased for wht I was trying to accomplish with it, but I have learned to deal with it. :)

# of responses to questions (in a format that I could tally): 27

"0"=7
    "1"=1
    "2"=3*
    "3"=3*
    "4"=2
    "5"=4
    "6"=0
    "7"=1
    "8"=1
    "9"=0
    "10"=2

The scale of 1 to 10 is 10 being most important. I think most caught that based on their other answers.

*Two person answered "2 or 3"... they both added up to one for each!

2) Is the user's post count more important than the average content of their posts?
    No=24
    Yes=1

3) What is "spamming?"

Answers:
    "Ok, I'm only going to explain this once. You get a pitchfork, a camera, K-Y jelly, a pot-bellied pig and a keg of the cheapest, nastiest swill that will pass for beer."
    "Spamming (to me) is pretty much the posting of useless threads or topics when only one thread is neccessary. I think of it as the same as flooding."
    "Is that short for spam?"
    "Yes, but only if I know they deserved it by actually posting and not one word responses all the time"
    "Spamming is the act of posting the same message, or a message that is largely the same in content - over and over again or to multiple forums/lists/newsgroups. It is also the advertisement of a personal site or scheme. It is the internet equivalent of door-to-door salesmen or really irritating ********s in pubs."
    "One could get technical, but I think the simplest definition of "spam" is any post that everyone but the poster himself reads and thinks, "Just shut the hell up." I like this definition because it incorporates some forms of flaming, as well."
    "See: RougeGroundHunter"
    "Kind of like binge drinking but with spam..."
    "ask your mother"
    "Junk posts. Posts that mean nothing to the conversation."
    "Shouldn't an admin know what it is?"
    "i guess (may be very, very wrong) that spamming is what you do when you always post the same word or something like that." (Also posted as didn't know)"
    "Spamming is repeatedly posting nonsense and off-topic posts just to see one's name on the board repeatedly."
    "Repeated or consistent posting of nonsense or annoyances in as many threads as possible. It is also cross-posting advertisements in several forums."
    "see: DarthNut"
    "Already been answered."
    "I went on a thread binge awhile ago. That's pretty close. Also what everyone said about advertising crap. Repetitive words, letters, and phrases also apply."
    "Posting meaningless/unwanted messages"
    "I think the following things fall under spamming: posting to a thread simply to up your post count, posting an advertising/soliciting thread in multiple forums and posting lots and lots of threads in a short amount of time."
    "Posting the same thing over and over again."
    "Bad stuff"
    "Spamming I would define as being posting messages which bear no or little relevance in the thread"
    "Sapmming to me means advertisements of ones webpage in everyone's threads, posting just ot up ones post count, or posting multiple threads of no real mature and thoughtful content in a single day."
    "Posting something over and over again, whether through PM or in a thread, just to up your post count or get people to reply."

Don't knows: 3

4) Should the Admins. deal with people who choose to post short responses, that may or may not
    have anything to do with the topic, and may be viewed as "upping" a person's post count?

Yes=5**
    No=10*
    Maybe/Depends=10

*One "No" with Beal exclusion, and I take Force of Nature's response as a "No."
    ** One "Yes" was for "only extreme cases" (Riley Man)

5)Do you find yourself congradulating higher post counts more than good ideas posted in a single post?

Yes=3
    No=20
    Equally=1

Yes=12
    No=13*

* 3 of the "No"s indicated they had not reached SITH or JEDI yet.

Why's:
    "because I was proud of reaching 1000 posts, after that it should be 5000."
    "I felt that I posted somewhat good

5. Soggy-Ben Doggy

Soggy-Ben Doggy Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 9, 1999
    YTAP, it appears that how many posts one has is no longer the supreme goal it once was. It's been replaced with, how many like me.

6. Darth_Servo

Nov 10, 1999
    I like you Soggy!

7. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    LOL! Our priorities seem to have changed to an even MORE high school-like mentality, if that's possible.

8. Darth_Servo

Nov 10, 1999
    Wanna go to the prom Mr. K?

9. Happy Fun Maul

Happy Fun Maul Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 2, 1999
    So, is it bad if I make aliases just so that they can add my name to their favorites' lists?

10. Darth_Servo

Nov 10, 1999
    Of course not!
    Just makes it seem that enough real people didn't add ya and THAT'S only if they know you're an alias!

11. Happy Fun Maul

Happy Fun Maul Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 2, 1999
    Phew. I feel better now.

Time to go make some new aliases. Although, if I use them for posts, then my own post count goes down. Hmmm, what to do, what to do.

12. Kyle Altis

Kyle Altis Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 30, 1999
    Nice catch, Soggy-Ben Doggy. I do believe you are right -- especially considering some of the recent threads to cross the JCC.

13. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    I think it's time for this to be at the top again, so that some of the newer Community posters can post their views on the importance of post counts.

14. Commander Antilles

Commander Antilles Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 21, 1999
    I didn't answer this the first time round :-( so I'll do it now.

"1) On a scale of 1 to 10, how important is a user's post count?"
    About -1.

"2) Is the user's post count more important than the average content of their posts?"
    No, no, no.

"3) What is "spamming?"
    Posting pointless or redundant threads several times.

"4) Should the Admins. deal with people who choose to post short responses, that may or may not have anything to do with the topic, and may be viewed as "upping" a person's post count?"
    Yes, if they do it repeatedly and for the sole purpose of increasing their post count.

"5) Do you find yourself congradulating higher post counts more than good ideas posted in a single post?"
    "No, these days, I try to stay away from threads that seem to be intended just to raise post counts."

"6) Have you ever posted a J.E.D.I., S.I.T.H., or related thread? Why? Why not?"
    I posted a JEDI and SITH thread when I got to 1000 and 2000 posts on the UBB JC.

"7) Do you often respond congradulatory remarks to J.E.D.I. or S.I.T.H. related threads, and why or why not?"
    I used to, if I knew the person who had got there. I don't now, partly because there's much fewer of them.

15. Hunter Of Winds

Hunter Of Winds Jedi Youngling star 5

Dec 5, 1999
    SotS, thanks for bringing this topic up.

To me, 0.

If they have something to contribute to a discussion, I don't care if it's their first post.

3) What is "spamming?"

This depends on the point-of-view. What one person sees as spam in a thread, may be entertaining to another.

4) Should the Admins. deal with people who choose to post short responses, that may or may not have anything to do with the topic, and may be viewed as "upping" a person's post count?

This depends on the forum, and needs to be handled on a case-by-case basis.

5) Do you find yourself congratulating higher post counts more than good ideas posted in a single post?

I'm here to read the contents of a member's post.

I posted an E.P.I.C. thread in Community, because I was the first female in JC history to earn five stars.

7) Do you often respond congratulatory remarks to J.E.D.I. or S.I.T.H. related threads, and why or why not?

Yes. It's one aspect of the JC Community. If I know someone, I'll celebrate their accomplishment.

16. Jumping Jedi Flash

Jumping Jedi Flash Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 1999

5.5 i respect people more if i know they have a higher posting (as long as they post good thoughts etc)

no, what they right is more important

3) What is "spamming?"

(gets dictionary out)

short posts are something that sometimes needs to be done , if they do it often off topic, yes

5) Do you find yourself congradulating higher post counts more than good ideas posted in a single post?

no

no, why would i want to?

7) Do you often respond congradulatory remarks to J.E.D.I. or S.I.T.H. related threads, and why or why not?

dont know what ya talking about , soz me so lame :°)

17. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    1. I feel pride when I get another 1,000 posts in a couple days, so about an 8 personally, couldn't care less about other people's post counts usually.

2. No. Content is important, otherwise you wind up with folks like farraday, whining about the lack of quality threads when all they do is post to the 'stupid' threads.

3. Not really sure...I think it's when somebody posts something that has zilch to do with the forum or thread they're in.

4. Sometimes.

5. Well, beyond GTKY...no.

6. Nope..wasn't even aware of either of them.

7. Nope...I rarely see them.

18. padawan lunetta

padawan lunetta Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 1999
    Only when competing with Ciggy ;) And I have no other ideas for Worship Me threads... ;) :D

19. bright sith

bright sith Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 27, 1999

It might have been higher if I answered this during the original run of this thread, but now, it's about 2.

No, never.

3) What is "spamming?"

Pointless junk posted repeatly.

Yes, they should.

No, just the most recent example is how I was struct by clerk's post in YTAP's history thread. That beats anything what I read from the mega-posters.

I've posted a one year anniversary thread for myself, but never post count threads. In the beginning, I just didn't notice it. And later on, I didn't really care that much, especially since it was the second time around.

7) Do you often respond congradulatory remarks to J.E.D.I. or S.I.T.H. related threads, and why or why not

I used to do it quite often. If it was a person who I recognized, I would immediately do so. These days there are fewer of such threads, and if someone worthy of their posts post a thread like that, I would still post to it. If it's a person soley acheiving their goal, like 10k, than I would refuse to post in it, that is, unless I'm sticking it to them.

20. Son of the Suns

May 6, 1999
    I think this is an appropriate time to bring this thread back up.

21. Hunter Of Winds

Hunter Of Winds Jedi Youngling star 5

Dec 5, 1999
    SotS: Thanks for bringing this topic up. I find this relevant, because there's a posting race to 10K taking place in Community, which is encouraging spamming.

22. Son of the Suns

May 6, 1999
    Yes, that's the reason why I upped it.

23. tenorjedi

tenorjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 17, 2000
    All I've got to say for short posts is, sometimes you've got something to say, sometimes you want to get to know other people, and sometimes you're just bored.
    (The following only applies to community)
    I stopped caring about post counts 1 month after I got here, but life is not always 100% serious. I'm not sure about everyone else but I'm here to have fun and be entertained, not to prove that I'm the most anal retentive poster. There's alot to be said about quality posts, but when you deal in a job that requires 100% accuracy, it's nice to be able to relax in the cyber world.
    I guess I'm just saying don't be looking down on us if we're not in the mood to write a 10 page essay about abortion or the like every day.

24. NathanDahlin

NathanDahlin Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2000
    1) 6

2) No!

3) Posting multiple threads, or just talking incessantly without contributing to good discussion or entertaining anyone else. It's a thin line, but I'm sure that, deep down, you all know the difference. :p

4) If it's someone who's posting in that manor a LOT, then I wouldn't have a problem with it.

5) I certainly hope not...

6) No, they're not *that* important.

7) Yes. I like to make people feel good about themselves. In the case of James, though, I just wanted to suggest he get what we both could use: A life. :p

25. jamesdrax

jamesdrax Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2000
    Race? There was no race.

You'll find a lot less of that from now on.

;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.