main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST How important will romance be to the ST?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Loupgarou, Aug 31, 2013.

?

How will romance be handled in the ST?

1. No love story

3 vote(s)
    7.1%
  2. Something light and not central to the plot

23 vote(s)
    54.8%
  3. Something that becomes a real motivation for one or two main characters

13 vote(s)
    31.0%
  4. Something the entire plot hinges on

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  5. Other

2 vote(s)
    4.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Loupgarou

Loupgarou Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 19, 2010
    Romance has always been an element of star wars, though in differing levels of inpirtance. In ANH, we have a light love triangle sub-plot. In ESB we get the slap-slap-kiss beginnings of Leia and Han's relationship, shown to have grown in ROTJ. It's important, but secondary to Luke's Journey. However in the PT there is a love story central to the events of all three movies, and whether or not you think it was pulled off well likely decided how you felt about the trilogy as a whole. My question is, where on the scale do you think the ST will be? Something that feels like it's just there out of obligation, something that actually motivates the actions of main characters, something that drives the plot, or something else entirely?

Nenim Chela, ChildOfWinds and kainee like this.
  2. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    I wouldn't mind if there was none. There really wasn't any romance in TPM either..

vinsanity likes this.
  3. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I assume there will be a love story line somewhere in the ST. Presumably in episode IIX to parallel the Original and Prequel trilogies, each of their second installments where the love between each pairing really developed.

I imagine there will also be some scenes between Leia and Han, the married pair most likely. Perhaps even Luke and his wife or love interest.

kainee likes this.
  4. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I expect romance will be a part of the ST as long as it isn't the only thing like in Twilight....................

5. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    I'm thinking that Han Solo (Harrison Ford) will ditch Princess Leia and go for a much thinner younger female, kind of like what he does in real life.

6. SuperPersch

SuperPersch Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2004
    This is a good question. While I do find the prequel romance a bit...wanting... I do think it has a certain sweetness to it. It was romanticized and very operatic versus the more "sexually tense" relationship between Han and Leia. I think there could be a marriage of the two ideas. Something important to a particular story arc but maybe not the entire trilogy. Love (romantic or otherwise) is a major motif in the saga, so I don't foresee there being none of it in any capacity. Certainly I'd like to see a new take, and not a repeat of how it was handled in the other trilogies.

kainee and StoneRiver like this.
  7. 3PO

3PO Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 5, 2003

They really need to leave it alone unless they plan on just rehashing the same old same old.

8. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    As important as it was in the PT and the OT.

9. Sith-Mullet

Sith-Mullet Jedi Master star 3

Aug 2, 2003
    I'm hoping that we see a Human Centipede type of thing. :p

10. SuperPersch

Apr 25, 2004

Totally disagree. There are new angles from which these romance plots could come from. I always think of Qui Gon's (unfortunately deleted) line from ROTS: "Love is the answer to the darkness." That, I think, becomes the thesis for the saga and therefore could define how the writers go about injecting this new trilogy with that motif. Luke answered the darkness with the love for his father. Another character could answer the darkness with the love for another (or be undone by it, as Anakin was). It's a very agrarian aspect of films that I often adore. That such a plot could be cultivated in whichever way best serves the story and still be relevant to the overarching story.

11. Loupgarou

Loupgarou Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 19, 2010
    I love the idea of someone being saved from falling to the Dark side because of love, it could be the perfect antidote to the whole 'don't form attachments' thing. Vader was redeemed through love, but to see someone resist temptation due to a connection they share with someone, that would be fresh to star wars and very welcome.

Nenim Chela, kainee and SuperPersch like this.
  12. SuperPersch

Apr 25, 2004
    There's a lot of rhyming in Star Wars. I think we could have another stanza of love saving someone, but with a romantic twist.

13. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    The romance will be more of a side dish ala the OT.

14. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Something light would be nice.......

15. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    I know it's an almost "must have" for Hollywood and blockbusters, but I don't think every movie needs a love story.

Togruta likes this.
  16. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    If it is in there, I hope it is an important plot point. In many hollywood blockbuster it is only "there" without real relevance for the plot. I could've done without Spock/Uhura, especially because Kirk and Spock seem to be closer than Uhura and Spock. No surprise the fandom goes for the slash pairing.

Dra---, mavjade , StoneRiver and 2 others like this.
  17. vinsanity

vinsanity Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2013
    I kinda don't want any romance

18. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    SuperPersch likes this.
  19. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    Skrew romance, bring me bromance ;)

20. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    And be the first guy in a galaxy, far, far away with an earring.

JediKnightOB1, kainee and Sith-Mullet like this.
  21. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I do think there will be some kind of romance as it's always been somewhat prevalent, but I would rather it be of the OT variety than the PT.

But I'm going to agree with Darth Claire and say bring on the bromance! :)

22. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Bromance should only be in the movie when it fits the characters. I don't want to see forced bromance. Got enough of that on tv.

I don't want to see any bromance just to have bromance in the movie to satisfy the insane tumblr/fanfiction community.

23. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    Sounds like romance/ shippers.

24. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    I think there should be a romance as it adds another layer to the story and draws a different dynamic. However, God forbid, it's the tweenie Twilight angsty love triangle gag.

25. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    I'm happy that I'm not writing the SW7 romance....cause I'd just end it in pain and suffering. Either by the love interest betraying the hero and ending with the two fighting to the death (obviously the hero wins but he/she will be upset to know he/she will never know if the love interest actually loved him/her) or I'd Robb/Talisa it. Like have a romance thats all cute and fluffy and we're all "OMG they're soo cute and now they're gunna have cute little jedi babies".....and then they die horrificly. Skrew happy endings! [face_devil]

Also love triangles suck but for some reason I can see Lucasfilm making one due to how popular they are with tweens

Echo-07 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.