main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST How in anyway can ep7 live up to the hype?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by SkywalkerOG, Sep 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Not for me or a whole generation of people.

You know the ones that will love all the movies while all those others are left behind?

These are likely the same ones who will turn sooner or later on these new films.

Probably sooner.

2. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012

They get as old as negative quips about the PT do.

plaidphoenix likes this.
  3. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    Good films come and go. When Robin & Batman was released, I guess most people thought it was the end of good Batman movies. And then we got The Dark Knight.....

I'm just gonna sit back and enjoy the ride.

4. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    As was discussed after the quoted post, banning for the occasional lens flare joke would be excessive. The problem comes when a whole bunch of people are posting them one after another, and we did have to give some people vacations before for that because it totally derailed conversations (and people disregarded warnings). In that sense, it's similar to PT vs. OT fights or canon fights; those aren't allowed mostly because of how heated they can get and how much they can derail a thread.

5. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Ha, I was just joking anyway. :p

Although they are super annoying, I still believe in people's right to misuse tiresome jokes.

6. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    I think one of the things to keep in mind is that leading up to the PT everyone knew the broad strokes of that trilogy: Anakin meets Obi-Wan, Anakin gets married, Anakin becomes Darth Vader, the Republic turns into the Empire. Therefore, many fans had preconceived notions of how those narrative beats would play out (For instance, I had thought that Anakin's wedding was going to be a huge public event interrupted by a Mandalorian takeover leading into a huge battle with Jedi that would ignite the Clone Wars). Alas, the actual result of what we got in the prequels differed mightily from fans' expectations.

The excitement about Episode VII is that we truly have no idea what kind of narrative we have in store for us, arguably for the first time since ESB (since we knew that at the very least ROTJ would feature a confrontation between Luke and Vader).

To not know anything except for these minor tidbits leaking out here and there is wildly exciting.

Carrie1138 and coxie0520 like this.
  7. vinsanity

vinsanity Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2013
    Yah, pretty much this :)

8. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    And of course besides the broadest of broad strokes they were all wrong. Actually more than that because Obi-Wan didn't discover Anakin and bring him into the Jedi Order.

Of course it did. It couldn't be personalized to millions of people.

Before VII comes out we are going to get to know various broadstrokes of this film. I think we are already starting to. Look at the reaction when people thought that maybe Luke is missing for 30 years.

Once VII comes out though it will all be over as we'll know the broadstrokes of this trilogy. In fact it'll be mostly over soon after the movie begins because by 30 minutes in we'll have a good idea of the shape of the picture.

9. Luminous Beings Are We

Luminous Beings Are We Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 10, 2014
    I'm much more concerned with how the ST will be received a decade or more after VII is first released, long after the hype and emotions have settled. I want these movies to be good enough for a theatrical re-release to a new generation of fans in 2035.

Abadacus likes this.
  10. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    You know, I think people overestimate the difficulty of making a good movie. If you know what makes a good story, it's actually pretty easy. The biggest difficulty is whether or not the people in charge care about story and character, and not simply jamming a bunch of shallow but flashy visuals on screen to make some easy profit.

I believe Disney in general, as we see with Marvel, and KK and the others involved with the Story Group at LFL, care deeply about story and character and will therefore most likely tell a good one.

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.
  11. ObiSpamBaloney

ObiSpamBaloney Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 12, 2014
    It can...
    ...since the PT really lowered most peoples expectations about newer Star Wars films
    ...since the Clone Wars TV series shows that in the right hands decent stories can be told on screen
    ...OT actors simply need to look the part and act the part without coming across as phoning-it-in or hamming it up
    ...the lived-in look-and-feel and attention to detail on set will trigger nostalgia in any as it did for Kevin Smith
    ...likewise with the old cast simply being back
    ...if it answers questions fans have had for a long time about the SW universe (e.g. origins of the Jedi, Sith, etc)
    ...if it doesn't involve anything like a Death Star
    ...if it doesn't make the OT seem dated (bring back the 1970's haircuts and british accents, etc)
    etc.

There is strong potential here and I think as long it has a strong story, and they tell it properly

vinsanity, Darth Malgus and Dra--- like this.
  12. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I'll do what I can to not buy into the hype as much as possible by not letting my expectations run wild.

13. vinsanity

Jan 28, 2013
    If these movies can top the PT movies I'll be happy, that's my minimum requirement but the ST has the potential to be the best directed, written and acting-wise of all SW trilogies.

14. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    Of course they did. Nothing could ever reach those insane heights that were expected. Now they know not to be crazy. Some still will be though.

George's hands.

That's an odd comment. Why would they?

He would have been the same if he was on the PT sets.

There will be plenty of old jokes.

George's story.

If it does it does.

It is dated.

I don't know what "properly" means to you. It's not going to be the exact way you want it if that's what you mean.

15. markdeez

markdeez Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2005
    I feel like Hamill & Ford are the keys to success for this film.

Many people want to know if Hamill can still play Luke (of course he can, he's gonna knock it outta the park!), but most people might be skeptical of his abilities, but I am not 1 of them

And Harrison Ford, who is considered 1 of the greats of all-time, he has to give a stellar performance. If Harrison phones it in, it will show, and it won't be good for the rest of the cast. I really hope Harrison is on his A game.

Force Smuggler and vinsanity like this.
  16. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Harrison phoning it in?

17. vinsanity

Jan 28, 2013
    I enjoyed Harrison's performance in Ender's Game, sure not his best but still good.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  18. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Yes, inevitably we will have an idea of the broad outline of things for Episode VII as well as the rest of the ST, but even now we have no concrete foundations, whereas the key turning points of the PT were known over a decade before the release of TPM. Therefore, we have less time to freely conjecture around known narrative elements on the ST than we did for the PT.

Also the key things we knew about the PT before Lucas had even put pen to paper weren't mere expositional elements. Those events are key turning points to the PT.

19. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    EP7 won't quite live up to the Hype but will be reviewed quite well & will have a lot of love & some hate......the lovers will say it's on par with the OT & Star Wars is redeemed the haters will say it's worse the PT & Star Wars is dead forever R.I.P ............

20. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    There will be some that will nitpick and hate it...be rest assured. They will find one thing wrong and try to unravel the whole movie with it, and they'll later try to convince everybody else that the film is bad, too. The internet is rife with it.

Dra--- likes this.
  21. SkywalkerOG

SkywalkerOG Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 19, 2014
    You are absolutely correct about that haha it's like people go to movies to find the flaws in them I just hope with the ST all the "real fans" don't make people who enjoy the films feel guilty and stupid like they did with the PT

22. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I was born in 1981 and I grew up with the OT but in my late teens and 20's I got the privelage of enjoying the Prequels and I love the Prequels and the clone wars so i am sure I will love the Sequel Trilogy, The star wars spinoff's, And the star wars rebels ....

23. SkywalkerOG

SkywalkerOG Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 19, 2014
    I loved the pt not as much as the ot but It's still SW I never understood the deep hate for it haha I guess my question is can these new movies please the fan boys? If that's possible

TheBBP likes this.
  24. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I dont care who it pleases as long as I enjoy them. and I hope you dont take that as an insult Or for being rude i am just being honest. if i have offended anyone i am trully sorry.....

I liked the OT Better as well but you are right the PT it is still Star Wars !!!

TheBBP and SkywalkerOG like this.
  25. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    The darker tone of episodes 2 and 3 wasn't the result of pandering to fans, it was the nature of the story, and it was planned from the get-go. Before TPM was even released, George was interviewed by Premiere Magazine. Here's an excerpt:

Premiere: And the next episodes in the prequel series will be darker than Episode 1?

Lucas: By their very nature. The next one isn't so bad. The third one's pretty bad.

Premiere: That's when Anakin goes to the darkside and becomes Darth Vader?

Lucas: Yes. Episode III will probably make half of whatever the others make. But it's the story, and I'm really more interested in the six-part whole, than in whether one tops the previous one.

I think it's kind of interesting that Lucas assumes the darkest one would actually earn LESS than the other ones. It kind of makes me think he's a bit out of touch with audiences. Not so much that "Darker = Better," but surely he must have realized that people wanted to see Anakin become Vader. I mean, wasn't that kind of one of the main selling points of the prequels all along?

TheBBP likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.