main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST How in anyway can ep7 live up to the hype?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by SkywalkerOG, Sep 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. D.A. McCoy

D.A. McCoy Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 6, 2014
    For me its really a money situation. I can't afford to go see a movie twice. If I really enjoy the movie (Star Wars for instance), and I've seen it and a friend or relative wants to go I'll tag along and see it a second time, but after that I'll just wait for Blu-Ray.

Jcuk likes this.
  2. Luminous Beings Are We

Luminous Beings Are We Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 10, 2014
    Let me clarify my comments. Yes, the PT did use a lot of models and such for their films, but so much of it still ended up looking fake, like a giant video game, as well as inconsistent with the OT's overall look. It is my understanding that Episode III didn't even use any location shooting with actors present. Lucas went overboard with CGI for locations and aliens. Famously, there wasn't even a single costumed clone trooper.

I enjoy CGI and expect to see it used throughout the ST. However, all indications so far point to it being used with far greater moderation than what we saw in the PT. If Disney was doing more of the same that we had seen in the PT, talking up the emphasis on practical effects would shoot themselves in the foot because it would look just as fake. Instead, I'm wholeheartedly convinced that they're still using all of the tools but have greatly shifted their focus towards using more practical stuff, as well as making sure it still looks real on film.

Jcuk likes this.
  3. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    I gotta confess I would like see practical effects in more use in Ep7 even though there will some cgi obviously. I find the practical effects in the OT have have lasted the test of time better then the PT even though there are some nice visuals in the PT.

4. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    The fact is the PT used more models and practical effects than the OT. And the irony is the ST will use MORE CGI than the PT!! It's how films are made these days. The CGI tech used in 2005 (ROTS) is more than 10 years out of date compared to today's CGI. To be fair, anyone that knows anything about software and computers is that 10 years is like a century. So when people bash the PTs CGI, Lucas was pushing the boundaries of what could be done with it. He got bashed for it, and years later people are praising the CGI (or the seamless-ness of CGI) in the new Marvel films.

Fact, there will be more CGI in EP7 then probably all of the PT combined. But it's more mature and seemless now so people don't notice it much. And because of the PT complainers, Lucasfilm will never mention CGI or blue screens, they'll only show off "practical" effects. They don't want to be associated with the negatively that goes along with it. Even though they'll be using tons of it.

Let's stop with the "bad CGI" comments about the PT. In the TPM alone it is CGI that is more than 15 years old. It was cutting edge at the time, and just because it had not evolved to the beauty of "Ironman Suit Status" of today, it was the best at the time.

JediMatteus likes this.
  5. Luminous Beings Are We

Jun 10, 2014
    Forget how old the PT's CGI is. It looked like a video game back then, which meant Lucas should've restrained himself in that area in favor of a more balanced approach. No location shooting with actors on site whatsoever in III? Not one clone trooper costume in the entire PT? Come on.

Disney has made it clear time and time again that they will use all the available tools in the toolbox, CGI included. From what I've heard and understand, some or all of the sets have blue screens in place to add digital sky mattes. Andy Serkis and his company are expected to bring many mo-capped alien characters to life in the Star Wars galaxy. Etc etc.

The major difference here is that Disney and Lucasfilm are going out of their way to make sure the finished product feels as real and tangible as possible.

vinsanity and JediMatteus like this.
  6. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    Even though Lucas is seen as "infinitely" rich he had to self finance the entire PT. He didn't have a board of directors at Disney financing his films. Basically the PT was an independent film. JJ has all of Disney and Lucasfilm supporting him, Lucas was paying out of his own pocket. If Lucas saved some time and money by shooting on a green screen than on location, then god bless him. People forget the amount of money it takes to move an entire movie production around on location. Also the amount of money it takes to build sets.

Again, given what Lucas had to work with at the time, he did a fine job.

People also forget the Asteroid Space Slug in ESB. ESB is seen as the "greatest SW film" of all time, but seriously, it was a guys hand in a rubber sock. People CHOOSE too look the other way about "crappy" effects or "silly situations" or "bad acting" in the OT, but they NEVER let anything slide when it comes to the PT.

And with that I'll end my PT vs OT before the mods get me.

7. Luminous Beings Are We

Jun 10, 2014
    I'll give Lucas respect for paying out of pocket. However, Episode I was the first PT film in the bunch, thus arguably the one with the biggest financial risk. Funny how it looked so much realer overall than Episode III despite Lucas having the profits from Episodes I and II as well as his merch $$ to finance it.

Lucas was clearly more interested in putting out "the latest and greatest" in visual and special effects (especially with things like Anakin and Obi-Wan's fight) rather than making reasonable compromises that would've allowed the finished product to look more realistic (like maybe filming that fight at an inactivate volcano and then making it look friggin' sweet in post).

I love that rubber sock crap. I didn't even know that's how they did that. :p

We're having a respectful discussion while killing time. I don't see why the mods would mind. BTW, what thread are we in? We're still on topic, right? :p

8. Darth Dookacas

Darth Dookacas Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2014
    The PT version of the space slug would have had red eyes, scales, and spit CG fire. You don't notice the rubber sock because the look of it is subtle. The OT has effects aren't perfect but they serve the story a little better. In ROTJ Han would have killed his self, the rebel army, and the ewoks with that Michael Bay explosion on Endor! Han ran 3 feet from a fire ball the size of 6 city blocks. But you don't notice it because your just happy our hero's are turning the tide. It is spectacular to put a exclamation point on the moment. The PT is a continuous Endor bomb moment special effects wise. The effects are always there in your face so the flaws stand out more.

9. vinsanity

vinsanity Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2013
    By fact, you mean you've been in meetings in ILM about EPVII, if not, it's just mere wishful thinking of you. By your counts, EPVII would have to have more than 6000 VFX shots in one single movie (considering that each PT movie had in average 2000 vfx shots), ain't gonna happen, it's just impossible unless you were doing all movie CGI like a pixar movie or that Final Fantasy CG movie, my prediction will be around 1200/1500 vfx

10. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    Satipo likes this.
  11. Rookhelm

Rookhelm Jedi Master star 4

Sep 22, 2014
    Just to clarify...the big explosion we see of the Satellite dish blowing up is on the other side of the mountain from where Han is. This is based on Threepio's comment of, "there's a secret entrance on the other side of the ridge", spoken when they were scouting the main generator.

Han was at the secret entrance...the generator was farther away.

12. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014

[​IMG]

TheBBP likes this.
  13. Darth Dookacas

Sep 29, 2014
    The explosion was still like a quarter of a A-bomb. I get your point though.

14. Darth Dookacas

Sep 29, 2014
  15. unicron5

unicron5 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Mar 19, 2002
    Yeah it can live up to the general hype, in a way I'd say the bar is actually fairly low for the general public who didn't like the prequels.

They'll be happy with a film that is just "decent to good".

I'd say if they make a movie that loses some of what people felt was cheesy about the prequels -- the flat, sometimes silly dialogue, Jar-Jar stuff, lifeless romance ... if they can lose that tone and infuse Star Wars with a sensibility more like the OT which was fun but had an underpinning of dark mystery ... if they can bring that back people will be happy.

The main thing really is the characters. If the people like the characters and feel emotionally invested with them, they will go for the ride. Abrams Star Trek (2009) isn't a great movie from a writing POV, but people by and large liked it because they liked the fresh, "modern" spin on Kirk/Spock/Bones.

In a fantasy film if people like the main characters and relate/root for them, you are more than half way there. Guardians of the Galaxy also does this well ... the film's plot is convoluted and not memorable, but it doesn't really matter. The lead characters are fun and well written and so it just works. If Episode VII can do the same, with some nice special effects set pieces, and a nash helping of nostalgia ... it will do well.

To be honest I think Episode I was a rewrite away from living up to a good portion of its hype. Reduce Jar-Jar's role, tweak his character so he's more useful than annoying, make Anakin a few years older, make Obi-Wan the defacto main character of the film (a young Jedi coming into his own learning under Qui-Gon), and really beef up Darth Maul's character and I think most people would've walked out of the theater happy.

Satipo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.