main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How is America the most powerful country in the world?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Baron_Fel, Jul 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Xen

Jedi_Xen Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 26, 2001
    Intrestingly enough about the burning of Washington in the War of 1812 the British/Canadians were driven out of the capital not by an American Army but rather by a tornado (rare for that part of the country) by the time they got re-organized and started marching to Balitmore the American Army met them and beat them pretty good.

Another little intresting note about the War of 1812 is that the whole United States did not support the war effort. New England did not support the war, and I believe didn't send any troops into battle (if they did it was very little). If Britain could have had a major victory, perhaps at Baltimore or Philadelphia they were going to severe New England and make it a Republic. An intresting What if, is to see if New England did support the war and send its regiments into battle, it is entirely probable that the US would of had a decisive victory. (New England's decision was a good example of why there needs to be a strong Federal government)

2. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    So the canadians kicked our teeth in but in the end we beat them badly? Hmmm....this give me a new outlook on this war. I was only taught what happened in JROTC class, not in any history class. :D

3. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    Is that why you need a coalition when you go to war?

Public opinion. [face_plain] European countries are a bitch to put up with. We can obviously do the job ourselves as there aren't a whole lot of foreign troops helping us.

Anyways, why is America the most powerful?

Most advanced and most powerful country in the world. Throughout history a big majority of the greatest military minds have been American. Our military isn't as big as China's (I don't think), but we're better trained. We're more innovative. We have the ability to adapt unlike many.

America is the last great superpower because the Empires have died, when America rose to the forefront there was many other superpowers. They all faded away, and now America is the last superpower. There are more on the horizon (China for one), but for now it is America.

Seeing as how this is why is America so powerful and not why it is the greatest country in the world, I will spare you the whole talk about freedom, happiness, and domestic stuff, seeing as how you seem to hate anything good about America.

EDIT: Look at it this way. In hockey, the New York Rangers have more big name players than the Red Wings, but the Red Wings have depth. They can win, even though other teams are better in some specific categories.

Balance is what makes you the most powerful. The US has balance, other countries do not.

4. GrandAdmiralPelleaon

GrandAdmiralPelleaon Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2000
    A majority of the greatest military minds?

Give me some proof on that. Every country has great Military commander, Germany for example had tons of great ones.

5. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    USA is a powerfull country because of it's location (as said before by GAP). Their Technology is advanced although Japan is techology speaking the most advanced
    Stuff like that...

Throughout history a big majority of the greatest military minds have been American.

LOL! [face_laugh] Sure USA had great tactical minds. But the greatest no...

Napoleon, he did manage to conquer entire Europe (althoug he did not manage to conquer Portugal, Spain and Russia) ,

the guy who invented the Blitzkrieg (did you ever saw that tactic, simply astonishing)

Even Ceasar is seen as one of the greatest tactical minds...

Most people say USA is the most powerfull because of it's size. But don't forget "Size matters not" 8-}
    Israel fine example.
    Being big has it's advantages...

6. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    Our location is partially why we're powerful, but I think if someone really had enough guts to do so that it could be invaded and conquered. The only thing is that we're pretty much like what the Japanese were in WWII in that we'd fight to the last person.

7. GrandAdmiralPelleaon

Oct 28, 2000
    I doubt that you would fight as fanatically as the Japanese FID.

8. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    Napoleon, he did manage to conquer entire Europe (althoug he did not manage to conquer Portugal, Spain and Russia) ,

Even Ceasar is seen as one of the greatest tactical minds...

Thats not a good comparison. America hasn't even tried world domination yet!

the guy who invented the Blitzkrieg (did you ever saw that tactic, simply astonishing)

Doesn't make that person a tactical genius overall. Anyone can come up with a great tactic. But can that same person continue to come up with more?

9. GrandAdmiralPelleaon

Oct 28, 2000
    Napoleon's means are way more restricted then America's. the fact that he did it with what he had is what makes him such a genius.

10. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    Doesn't make that person a tactical genius overall

True but it's still a great tactical mind...

But the greatest military minds are the person who managed to conquer large parts of the world...

America hasn't even tried world domination yet!

yeah but those are the greatest military minds.

yet!

True I'm 100% certain that the USA is going to try to take over the world one day.

USA is the only great power who hasn't try it...

11. CUBIE_HOLE

CUBIE_HOLE Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2001
    but I think if someone really had enough guts to do so that it could be invaded and conquered

I think the guts are easier to come by than the actual means to do it. It would take a huge army to get and hold a landing, which means someone is going to need a huge navy. Considering todays technology, even if a likely enemy had such a navy, they would never even get to attempt an invasion.

The US's big power points are its money and military, which kind of go together.

With regards to what if scenarios, the US can simply overwhelm most opponents, and other opponents with comparable forces would lose because such a fight would come done to attrition. There's no one that can compete with the US's potential to produce and spending power.

12. council_of_trent

council_of_trent Jedi Youngling star 1

May 23, 2002
    Not too sure about the military. Clinton cut it in half, and gave it a third of the normal funds before he was through. Bush is working on it though.

13. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    I doubt that you would fight as fanatically as the Japanese FID.

Based on what conclusions? Prejudices of your own? Or solid fact? It's an opinion, and I'm pretty sure we wouldn't roll over and let ourselves be taken out so easily.

14. GrandAdmiralPelleaon

Oct 28, 2000
    Based on what I've seen of America.

America is almost never as fanatical as Japan in anything. I doubt they'd fight to the death in the way that Japan would have.

15. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    Based on what I've seen of America.

America is almost never as fanatical as Japan in anything. I doubt they'd fight to the death in the way that Japan would have.

Some would cower, most would fight. If they knew survival depended upon it. And would we fight with the same 'fighting' spirit as Belgium or France did in WWII? I'm wondering? Since you seem to know Americans so well.

16. tenorjedi

tenorjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 17, 2000
    No GAP's right, we wouldn't fight to the death. Not all of us. Many would though and there's enough private weapons in the US to make a full scale invasion nearly an impossiblity.

As for the original question, we're still number one in economics and in military strength. Politicallly we're still the number one go to guy and the one everyone looks to when proposing a treaty etc but anti-american sentiment has been waxing in the past few years and I think, wether you think it's deserved or not, many countries would like to not get the US's apporoval on many things.

The superpower status is determined by economy, miltary, and politics but also by it's ability to influnce itself around the globe efficently. If the US didn't have it's carriers subs etc, it would most likely not retain it's superpower status.

17. GrandAdmiralPelleaon

Oct 28, 2000
    Some would cower, most would fight. If they knew survival depended upon it. And would we fight with the same 'fighting' spirit as Belgium or France did in WWII? I'm wondering? Since you seem to know Americans so well.

You admitted it yourself, you wouldn't fight as fanatically as Japan, when's the last time that you heard an American soldier blow himself up instead of getting captured?

The same fighting spirit as France and Belgium in WWII? I don't know, besides, our Army in WWII was a) grossly neglected, it was totally outdated , our best planes for example were...Unarmored Hurricanes, you know the numbers? 16. Our Airforce had 16 Hurricanes without Armor. Most of which were destroyed during the suprise attack. Do you really think that they had a chance against the oh, 2000 ME 109s that invaded? You do know that Belgium was Neutral don't you? We weren't at war with Hitler, contrary to France or Brittain, which were. Neither were the Netherlands.

If you want to talk Belgian fighting spirit, you should look to WWI. And no, it wasn't as fanatical as Japan by a LONG shot.

18. Dath_BigGAME

Dath_BigGAME Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 21, 2001
    Nevermind...I love the US...it will stand for many, many years to come, but there is much we need to reform...so much...

19. Red-Seven

Red-Seven Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 21, 1999
    From The Economist

Check out the chart, showing how America exerts influence militarily, culturaly, scientifically and politically out of proportion to its population.

20. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    In 1812 Canadians drove out the Americans from taking over our Country, not the other way around. [face_laugh]

21. Tupolov

Tupolov Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    We have the most Nuclear Warheads, the most prosperous economy, the best army, a democratic government.

22. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    Ignoring the misrepresented facts of the War of 1812 from Canadians insecure about their military's history and even more insecure about being seen as America Jr, the US's greatest advantage over Europe has been that the vast amounts of mineral resources in it's borders removed the need to create an overseas empire for natural resources. Once the industrial capabilities caught up the European powers didn't have a prayer, especially given the destruction of their empires post WW2.
    Russia and China both have the same possible advantages, but China's massive population, Russia's climate, and the governing systems of the countires really decreases their ability to compete.

Atleast that's how I see it.

23. ADMIRALSPUZZUM

ADMIRALSPUZZUM Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 13, 2002
    I have a theory about this. The way I see it, Britain created the most powerful Empire in the last 200 years right? Well, England is old. America, one of it's children (although one that had a very nasty fight with it's parent) is very young. It comes up to take it's place.

Englishmen and Americans are the same brand of wine, only a different vintage

24. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    The difference between the U.S. and England 200 years ago is that America is not an imperialist government(though I'm sure some will argue otherwise). America does not have control of land on almost every continent like the British did and we would not try to beat the native populations into submission(even though we did 150 years ago in North America).

EDIT: George "Dubya" Bush is a HELL of a lot bigger of a mistake than Clinton ever was.

25. Coolguy4522

Coolguy4522 Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 21, 2000
    USA is the only great power who hasn't try it...

Perhaps this is because we have no desire to do so. If all Europeans are as paranoid as you, it really clears up a lot of things for me. The notion that America would want to conquer the world with our military is so out of wack it disturbs me. If we had wanted to do it, there were plenty of chances in our history where we could have taken over many countries. If you had any idea about US history you would realize that we have given up many territories because we realized that they were more trouble than they were worth. Why would we invade and conquer any country? What other reason can you give other than we haven't done it? I am sure we could have retained control of Japan and West Germany if we had so wanted, but obviously we would have had quite a bit of resistance. I bet you think invading Iraq is Phase 1 of our "take over the world for no apparent reason" plan. We are the richest nation, and we have no need for the resources of other nations when we can get them from them peacefully. Not conquering the world has worked out so far for us, why would we suddenly change?

If anything, I see the UN as an organization that wants to because the world EU. And for an American, that is something I am very much opposed to. Our constitution is working just fine for us, and I happen to believe political power should stem for the people, not the barrel of a gun or some unelected buearacracy. US soverignty is something that I think is slowly being erroded. Bush can go to the UN if he wants, but he has no need to, and if the UN fails to act, he has every right to bypass them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.