main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT How is Anakin's turn rushed?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Padmes_love_slave24, Aug 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    His turn was not rushed!!!

BoromirsFan and SithStarSlayer like this.
  2. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Why would you think he'd join Palpatine? That's what Palps wanted but at that point Palpatine was completely delusional.
    Luke would've killed Vader and then slaughtered Palpatine if he had fallen.

Um, knocking back alcoholic beverage is exactly what I expect from a person after their parents death. Alcohol takes the pain away and all that. Luke also doesn't look like he has a good time in the Cantina. When they meet Han he is angry and frustrated.

But yea, interpretations differ.

Though I admit how anyone could claim Anakin was behaving "subtly" I don't quite understand.

3. only one kenobi

only one kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 2012
    Methinks that you are listening to Palpatine's 'reasoning' too much. You understand that his words to Anakin about those who have power being afraid to lose it with regard to the Jedi are meant to mislead Anakin - never mind the irony of them (who has the most power in the galaxy at that point?) You do know that there wasn't actually a Jedi plot against the Senate and against the Chancellor? Tell me you understand that please.

Two things can look similar while not being the same thing at all. Anakin, despite his 'lessons' from Palpatine, is politically naive, an idiot abroad. An example of this is in the deleted scene when Palpatine asks him to stand in with him while Padmé hands in the petition. he doesn't understand the political ramifications of having a Jedi stand with Palpatine at this juncture. he also seems completely to miss the point of being the Chancellor's representative on the Jedi council (though this also has to do with him being quick to accept that which gives him something...the complete opposite of the boy from Tatooine who "gives without thought of reward")

The Jedi are putting themselves on the front line in order to protect what they serve; the Republic. To protect democracy. This is made pretty clear in the movies, it is pretty explicit. Even when they discuss removing Palpatine from power they talk of a transitional period before they hand power back to the Senate. They are not seeking power. They have not started and been behind both sides of the war.

The moral ambiguity is within the scope of whether or not the Republic is, anymore, what they think they are fighting for. There is no moral ambiguity about Palpatine, unless you choose to ignore all the signposts as to his true nature.

Ah, and who chooses what morality is right? Isn't that the purpose of the rule of law? That is why the Jedi fight for the Republic. For democracy, for the force and due process and legitimacy of law. And, if not military force, what force do you propose the Jedi would use?

Hmmm...but Qui-Gon will not go as far as to free the salves on Tatooine. But, wouldn't that be the 'right thing'? The Jedi aren't fighting for 'politics or anything like that', except that they are defending democracy and the legitimacy of law. That's what the Republic represents. Palpatine, though, seeks to undermine that and rule by power and fear.

The Jedi are not 'corrupt' or 'soulless', you might want to look a little toward Palpatine for that.

4. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    In the turning scene, I think Anakin was just like "screw it, I might as well burn this whole thing down." He was in a terrible situation. I am not sure if he could have summoned the willpower to fight off/kill Palpatine to redeem himself.

5. TheMadHatter

TheMadHatter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2009
    His turn was not rushed!!!

---

this is such a convincing argument :p

Darth kRud and BoromirsFan like this.
  6. BoromirsFan

May 16, 2010
    It works every time doesn't it?

7. TheMadHatter

TheMadHatter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2009
    pretty much :p

I don't mind differing opinions, I even learn a thing or two, and change my mind :p

but saying "his turn was not rushed!!!"

doesn't really do much for me in terms of enlightenment :p

8. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    That's just the way he talks. Also, every episode of the Clone Wars is awesome. Apparently.

BoromirsFan likes this.
  9. BoromirsFan

May 16, 2010
    Its almost endearing.

10. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    The idea that Padme did not play a role in the "original version" appears to be a myth.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  11. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    Almost.

BoromirsFan likes this.
  12. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Anakin's "turn scene" itself may seem rushed if you're just looking at that one individual scene. He makes his decision and then rolls with it. But at that point he has to jump in with both feet. However, there are a few previous hours of movies where Anakin's fall to the Dark side plays out as a game of dominoes being put into place. There is a lot of foreshadowing and him being aggressive and conflicted that happens before (Heck, at about the ten minute mark he rather ruthlessly beheads the bad guy from the previous movie!). The "turn" scene itself I always saw as "Okay, fine. Destroy the Jedi, got it." He probably didn't even take the whole "Sith Lord" thing into account, he basically just wanted to save Padme / the galaxy. But it's basically trying to save Padme. Flick is a tragedy and all.

lbr789, Samnz and Seagoat like this.
  13. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    That whole movie just felt crammed to begin with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.