main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How is Obi-wan able to defeat Anakin?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Old-Wizard, Nov 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old-Wizard

Old-Wizard Jedi Youngling

Jul 27, 2007
    Honestly, this makes no sense. If Anakin had so many more midichlorians, how could Obi-Wan beat him?

2. Vortigern99

Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2000
    Anakin's pride and arrogance in his own awesome powers caused him to miscalculate and commit a strategic error regarding 'high ground'. (There's a thread in the PT Forum about this superior combat position.) Also, since Kenobi had trained Anakin in swordplay, he was able to match his padawan move-for-move, as seen frequently during the Duel.

3. Darth_Davi

Darth_Davi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 29, 2005
    Indeed. Obi-Wan Kenobi is probably the only Jedi that COULD defeat Anakin, and that only because of his years of experience with him. Obi-Wan Kenobi knows Anakin's fighting style better than anyone else in the galaxy. Even then, he got lucky that Anakin made a huge tactical error. If Anakin doesn't jump, and finds some other way onto the rocks, I don't know if Kenobi could have held out indefinitely. Had Anakin not screwed up royally, I think Anakin would have eventually won the fight.

4. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    QUI-GON : Make an analysis of this blood sample I'm sending you.
    OBI-WAN : Wait a minute...
    QUI-GON : I need a midi-chlorian count.
    OBI-WAN : All right. I've got it.
    QUI-GON : What are your readings?
    OBI-WAN : Something must be wrong with the transmission.
    QUI-GON : Here's a signal check.
    OBI-WAN : Strange. The transmission seems to be in good order, but the
    reading's off the chart...over twenty thousand.
    QUI-GON : (almost to himself) That's it then.
    OBI-WAN : Even Master Yoda doesn't have a midi-chlorian count that high!
    QUI-GON : No Jedi has.
    OBI-WAN : What does it mean?
    QUI-GON : I'm not sure.

Doesn't say anything about a lot of midichlorians automatically meaning that nobody can ever beat you in combat.

5. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    It's a combination between Vader's arrogance and Obi-Wan's experience.

6. RamRed

RamRed Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2002

Obi-Wan was LUCKY, as far as I'm concerned. I never thought they were evenly matched as fighters. I believe that Obi-Wan was lucky to have faced an Anakin who was emotionally unstable and impatient at the time. If Anakin had his emotions in check at the time of his duel with Obi-Wan . . . I think the fight would have had a different outcome.

7. Obi-Wan-1000

Obi-Wan-1000 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2005
    I don't agree that Obi-wan was able to match Anakin during the duel because he was emotional during the whole duel. Even though Anakin was more powerful then Obi-wan as Lucas said, Lucas also said that Obi-wan was more experienced. Obi-wan was able to match him because he was his teacher and he had more experience. Anakin used his raw power while Obi-wan used his knowledge of Anakin's moves and his experience. In my opinion, this is why Obi-wan and Anakin were evenly matched during that duel.

8. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    After witnessing Anakin slaughter the heads of the CIS, R2-D2 poisoned Anakin's rations. The drugging was supposed to kill Anakin, but with his Jedi constitution he was merely weakened. Unfortunately the drugs also greatly impaired Anakin's judgment, which resulted in his thoughtless attack on Padme.

Not really. But wouldn't it have been cool if Artoo actually DID have something interesting to do in the movie?

9. RamRed

May 16, 2002
    Again, Lucas seemed to be contradicting himself. Count Dooku was more experienced than Anakin. Yet, the latter managed to defeat Dooku around the beginning of ROTS. And according to Lucas, Anakin was one of three Jedi capable of confronting or even defeating the more experienced Palpatine. Obi-Wan certainly not was one of the three. And yet, we're supposed to believe that Obi-Wan's experience counted more than Anakin's lack of emotional control in the Mustafar? Hmmmm. Yeah, right.

10. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    I think it's supposed to be Obi-Wan's experience with Anakin specifically rather than his experience in general. They fought alongside each other for much of the Clone Wars and for a decade prior to that so Obi-Wan would know Anakin like no one else.

11. Obi-Wan-1000

Nov 11, 2005
    Yes, but also, defeating one person does not always mean you can beat the other. you have to remember that Obi-wan knew Anakin's moves, he hardly had to think to counter Anakin's moves, and Dooku was old. Dooku was not the one who trained Anakin. So I think that experiance means that Obi-wan knows how to control himself unlike Anakin. I don't remember Lucas saying that Anakin was as strong as Palpatine, so thats debatable. Nick Gillard gave him a nine in his lightsaber skills, not his power.

12. OBIWAN-JR

OBIWAN-JR Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 25, 2002
    Remember when Buster Douglas beat Mike Tyson?

-JR :)

13. GreenLantern_Jedi

GreenLantern_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

May 31, 2007
    I'm always surprised that people still don't get this!

In Ep. 1 Maul hesitates when Obi flips over him - there's a split second in which Maul could have killed Obi, but he doesn't strike out & Obi kills him.

In Ep.3 Obi is in Maul's same position - as he tells Ani "I have the high ground".
    He knows from his experience with Maul exactly when to strike out.

It's self explanatory!

14. Sitara

Sitara Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2001
    "How is Obi-Wan able to defeat Anakin?"

Superior Skill and Masteryof the Force.

15. Darth_Laudrup

Darth_Laudrup Jedi Master star 4

Jul 7, 2004
    My guess is patience, experience, the ability to stay calm and his great knowledge of the way Anakin fights.

16. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    There are a few things. First there is his age. Then the fact that he is a better fighter and knowing how to judge when someone is going to do something dumb ie Anakin jumping when Obi-wan had the high ground.

Yes Anakin is just as good but he let his emtions get to him and rule how he was fighting.

17. RamRed

May 16, 2002
    I think it's supposed to be Obi-Wan's experience with Anakin specifically rather than his experience in general. They fought alongside each other for much of the Clone Wars and for a decade prior to that so Obi-Wan would know Anakin like no one else.

I don't buy it. If that was truly the case, then Obi-Wan should have been able to defeat Anakin a lot earlier. He was lucky, as far as I'm concerned. I think that Obi-Wan was lucky that Anakin's emotional state was so out of whack during their duel on Mustafar. I also believe that Obi-Wan was lucky that Anakin had allowed his arrogance (something that ALL OF THE CHARACTERS possessed - even Obi-Wan) to get the best of him on that lava bank.

18. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    Oh it was definitely in large part due to Vader's arrogance, it's just that Obi-Wan's experience enabled him to capitalize on that in a way that many Jedi wouldn't be able to.

19. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    As I understand it, the midis don't make a Jedi more powerful than another without the training to back it up. Anakin was powerful, no doubt, but so was Obi-wan and Obi-wan had lots more experience than Anakin. In either event, it was obviously a tough duel.

20. Obi-Wan-1000

Nov 11, 2005
  21. PMT99

PMT99 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 23, 2000
    Luck had nothing to do with Obi-wan being able to defeat Anakin because I believe that Obi-wan was holding back the entire time he was fighting Anakin. I agree that Obi-wan should've defeated Anakin a lot earlier (since there were some moments where Anakin left himself open which would've allowed Obi-wan the opportunity to deliver the killing-blow) but he didn't want to because he still cared about him and wanted Anakin to come to his senses and give up the Dark Side. As the fighting escalated to the lava bank, Obi-wan realized that it was hopeless and that Anakin was truly lost so he decided that all bets are off by showing no mercy to Anakin.

22. Vortigern99

Nov 12, 2000

But that's just the point of Anakin's destruction. His emotional state was out of whack, allowing Obi-Wan, who was more calm and focussed in the moment, to take advantage of Anakin's imbalance. You can call that 'luck,' I suppose, discarding Kenobi's later dismissal of that factor; but more precisely, it is a flaw in Anakin's character that proves his undoing.

Anakin's arrogance -- his belief in his own superior powers -- is what allows Kenobi to destroy him.

23. TH421

TH421 Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 22, 2004
    If Anakin had his emotions in check, the duel would never have taken place. Anakin was powerful, but also arrogant and impatient. Obi-Wan was the superior jedi, not in power, but in self-discipline. Anakin lost because he never mastered the real core of the jedi teachings.

24. RamRed

May 16, 2002

Being the more experienced didn't mean squat to Maul or Dooku. And I don't think it meant squat in Obi-Wan's victory over Anakin. I think that he was simply lucky.

Obi-Wan was the superior jedi, not in power, but in self-discipline. Anakin lost because he never mastered the real core of the jedi teachings.

Unless a situation came up in which Obi-Wan would lose his self-discipline. It certainly didn't help in his duel against Dooku. Yet, Anakin managed to emerge victorious.

There are no real pat answers to why Obi-Wan managed to defeat Anakin. Why people continue to insist that there is remains a mystery to me.

25. Vortigern99

Nov 12, 2000
    The answer may be, RamRed, that you're not looking carefully enough at the scene. You seem to have made up your mind -- that Kenobi was lucky, end of story -- and are dismissing all evidence that supports any other view.

The facts are plain to see. Kenobi tells Anakin not to make the jump; that he has the higher ground, the superior combat position. Anakin thinks this is a slight against his awesome powers, and arrogantly makes the jump. This results in his destruction.

Where exactly is luck involved? Anakin, true to his character, acts out of extreme arrogance and pride, and Kenobi takes advantage of his padawan's flawed judgment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.