main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST How is the First Order funded?.

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Kylo Rennish, Dec 20, 2015.

1. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Its basically Imperial families(military, elites/nobles and I presume hardliners of various classes) migrated to the Unknown regions, so they took their wealth with them. The Empire had started exploring that region prior to their fall, so its likely they were building and storing provisions and resources there for a long time.

2. JediKade

JediKade Jedi Youngling

Dec 19, 2015
    who else internally sang DiBiase's theme song when they saw that picture?

Luke'sSeveredHand likes this.
  3. Wolfgang187

Wolfgang187 Jedi Master star 2

Apr 8, 2002
    roflol
    if they dont explain ANY of it in the film, it didnt happen.

4. Luke'sSeveredHand

Luke'sSeveredHand Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2014
    I thought it was the Koch Bros

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  5. ojisan

ojisan Jedi Youngling

Oct 19, 2015
  6. loki41872

loki41872 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2002

Starkiller could even be cheaper than a Death Star, considering it was built into a planet, no need to build the superstructure, no need for life support or artificial gravity.

7. Bacbacca

Bacbacca Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2011
    We needed to know how much territory the FO controls.
    They could control a big enough territory that has enough resources to produce the stuff they need.

Or they could have certain resources that are sought after and there's a black market trade.

Basically we just needed to know what the FO actually was.

8. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    You know, although I'm a Bernie Sanders supporter, I wonder if he's really Palpatine. Both are nice old men; when young, they couldn't get elected dog catcher; they're unassuming; they slowly made their way up the Ladder, eventually becoming inflejntsal senators close to the Chief Executive. Or maybe he Sidious' friendly clone or Sidious his evil clone?

So, was Snoke Bernie's master whom he thought dead?

9. Lera_Swift

Lera_Swift Jedi Padawan star 2

Dec 19, 2015
    Trump supporters.

10. BobaBacca

BobaBacca Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 6, 2015
    Funded by the Republic's intelligence agencies and the banking clan

11. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
  12. BennyK

BennyK Jedi Padawan

Nov 9, 2014
    They harness the awesome power wielded by the Guardians Of Star Wars - an army of furiously typing tongue-out fanboys trained to react with synchronised, righteous indignation to the smallest cinematic transgression

13. IG Lancer

IG Lancer Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 8, 2015
    I have read about the Galactic Concordance, and it seems to imply that the Empire kept a chunk of the Core and Inner Rim, doesn't it?

The New Territories too, since the Trans-Hydian Borderlands are implied to be "neutral territory". Or maybe both the New Territories and Trans-Hydian considered "Borderlands" now?

14. Zenwalker

Zenwalker Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Exploitation, taxes, Empire money. Also, they just take what they need like natural resources and use it. Who's gonna stop them?

15. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I would imagine these fleeing Imperials, began invading and occupying poorly defended worlds, then began enforcing taxes/tariffs/tribute. The same way any government has made money. Palpatine may have been voted into power, but that doesn't mean that it's the only way to build a state. The North and South American states, Australia, etc. didn't come to be by locals voting westerners into power. So I would assume the First Order conquered systems, then taxed them.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  16. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Box office intake

17. MingLives

MingLives Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 19, 2015
    Doesn't matter how they did it. It's Obamas fault anyway.

18. Kyra_Rey-Kylo_Ren

Kyra_Rey-Kylo_Ren Jedi Padawan star 2

Oct 31, 2015
    MY view is that what the first order become is what ISIS would if they let be for 30 years.

Between the end of the new republic and ROTJ the EMPIRE had like 5 or 6 years to build it's power to grown on new systems and explore the economics of their power, i don't think the EMPIRE was much of an EMPIRE just the same power as the OLD REPUBLIC but with an EMPEROR in the place of an elected canceler.

In my view using our own history as a template, the EMPIRE in ANH is like the early Roman Empire after Octavius Augustus, the supreme power in the known world but not much different from the period of the Replubic in terms of expansion and economics, when you compare the Roman map circa 30 BC, and 200 AC their almost doubled the size of the empire.

Now going back to the First Order, if the new republic adopted a neutral cold war approach to the first order you can argue they could have expanded their territory and power freely for new frontiers and places where the New Republic wasn't reaching for almost 30 years.

That's my take.

19. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Clearly, they have the support of the Banking Clan...

[​IMG]

20. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    Micro-transactions

21. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    kickstarter ?

22. Bullhead CIty

Bullhead CIty Jedi Master star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    No doubt the First Order hails from an area of the galaxy known to the Republic as the, "Unknown Regions". That being said, there could be an entire "galactic-type" government on the scale of the Old Empire or Old Republic hidden out there. Snoke has to be the "Supreme Leader of the something more than just the First Order.

Besides - what we've seen of the First Order is more than likely a tease. They would have to be more than an atomic planet and some shaved Star Destroyers to be a long term threat.

23. Darth Blade

Darth Blade Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 29, 2014
    I would guess they are funded the same way the separatists and the Empire were funded, through control of the Intergalactic Banking Clan. They were controlled by Palpatine (both in secret and then openly when he nationalized the banks) and I'm guessing that Snoke has similar control over them. All of the Clone War was funded through them changing banking rates on both sides to suit Palpatine's needs.

24. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Rupert Murdoch. He bought the Empire, fired all the scientists, and now is pushing for a mystical agenda.

25. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    For those of you who are history Buffs... maybe think of the first order as one of the successor states to Alexander's empire or something like that. I think that's the intention. Or maybe like the Byzantine empire after the fall of rome.

Or more loosely, sort of like modern day Russia after the fall of the USSR.... in other words a remnant state