main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How is the story bad?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by sdj, Mar 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sdj

sdj Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    I'm not talking about the dialogue.

I'm not talking about the special fx or the acting or Yoda or the editting or the music.

I'm talking about the storyline. About how the story fits with the overall picture of things.

I DO NOT for the life of me see why people blast the story. Yes it does leave you hanging, yes there are many unanswered questions, but this is the second part of a three part series. The third part is supposed to answer the questions. So that in itself doesn't make the story weak.

I am wondering how the story itself is weak. How is it lesser than the story for A New Hope?

I'm quite curious.

andresfelix likes this.
  2. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001

My only gripe with the story was the political stuff - I found that very uniteresting. The love story was kind of weak, but necessary; and the Obi-Wan storyline rocked. And I had no problems that it "left you hanging."

3. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    I just comes down to everyone having an opinion. I bet you'd manage to get a load of people saying it had a great story, for example.

Like me :D

4. Jedi_Master201

Jedi_Master201 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    I liked the storyline probably better than any of the other SW storylines.... Which is why I can watch this one over and over, despite the few "cringe" parts. In the end, plot is what counts, IMHO. AotC has a good plot.

The Obi-Wan "Mystery" plot was awesome, the Anakin "Love" plot was...necessary, and to an extent, better than most love stories out there these days, and the Republic "Politic"
    plot was, IMHO, very intriguing. I love seeing how the main villain of the Star Wars saga go to be where he was in the second half. It's very interesting. :D

5. SLR

SLR Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 20, 2002
    I think there are many things wrong and bad about AoTC. The storyline and plot was definitely not one of it, IMHO. I thought the story was good, the movie in my opinion just suffered in its execution. The movie had a good idea and concept behind it. To me it was just sloppy and it didn't work for me in execution. I think people intermingle story and plot w/ the diaglogue, acting, and their general attitude towards the movie.

6. Attack_of_the_Ewoks

Attack_of_the_Ewoks Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 8, 2003
    The story of the whole PT should've been different. It's not a good way to lead up to the OT. I don't think it's as epic and as great as it should've been after 20 years of people waiting.

7. sdj

sdj Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    Explain Ewoks. I always see that same answer over and over.

8. Charlie_Martel

Charlie_Martel Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2001
    The storyline is what I like the most about AotC. I think it has the best storyline of all the SW movies :D

Attack_of_the_Ewoks, could you please elaborate on your statement?

9. Attack_of_the_Ewoks

Mar 8, 2003
    Couldn't Lucas have taken us somewhere better than Tatooine to introduce Anakin in TPM? It was always concieved that Uncle Owen was Obi-Wan's brother, so we didn't need to go there until Ep. III. Coruscant was cool, but Naboo and its gungans was just plain terrible. The backlash of Jar Jar Binks-haters shoudl be enough to persuade you of that. Also, the whole Sith/Jedi backstory was not even explained. Darth Maul is onscreen for 3 minutes tops, saying stuff like, "At last we will have revenge." Why do they want revenge? George Lucas hints at great things in the movie, but never shows them. In AOTC, we get Anakin and Padme staring at each other for half the movie, more Tatooine (oh, I killed some sand people who tied my mother up and beat her and would do it to anybody else I should feel so bad boo hoo!!!). The Clone Wars are nothing like anyone imagined them, and it dissapointed me. Yoda fought yes, but they used the image of him with a lightsaber to promote everything. Enough, already. The ending of AOTC is action, action, action. But the first half is just terribly-written. Hopefully, Ep. III will build on everything that has happened and improve the overall story. But I doubt it.

10. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    It was always concieved that Uncle Owen was Obi-Wan's brother, so we didn't need to go there until Ep. III

That was written in the ROTJ novel, not in the films, so it never was canon.

Also, the whole Sith/Jedi backstory was not even explained. Darth Maul is onscreen for 3 minutes tops, saying stuff like, "At last we will have revenge." Why do they want revenge? George Lucas hints at great things in the movie, but never shows them

The Sith/Jedi backstory is not importaint. Just like finding out how the rebellion and empire started off was not importaint to the OT. We never find out how that conflict began, and it doesn't matter since it's not importaint, just like the Jedi/Sith backstory.

In AOTC, we get Anakin and Padme staring at each other for half the movie, more Tatooine (oh, I killed some sand people who tied my mother up and beat her and would do it to anybody else I should feel so bad boo hoo!!!)

He killed women and children when he let his emotions overtake him. How would you feel?

The Clone Wars are nothing like anyone imagined them, and it dissapointed me

Please speak only for yourself. And further more, don't you think that's a rather unfair statement? There were twenty or more years between the OT and the PT. You have millions of fans, each with different ideas of what the Clone Wars would be like. To ask GL to please every single person's opinion of what it "should have been like to them" is insane.

Yoda fought yes, but they used the image of him with a lightsaber to promote everything

That's because it was the biggest event of the movie. That's like having the advertising team for The Two Towers not use the Battle of Helm's Deep to promote everything. It would be stupid for them not to do it.

Enough, already. The ending of AOTC is action, action, action

Considering the standards of all action films today, what else would you expect from it? Every action film in recent years has two tasks: out-do every other action film and surpass all the action from earlier in the film. Since every film is trying to out-do each other, it would be impossible for AOTC to have five to ten minutes of action at the end without people complaining the ending was a dissapointment. Heck, the ending battles of AOTC was around twenty minutes long and some people still wanted more action.

If we recall back to the 70's, ANH had the most action packed ending of any film that year. It was almost overwhelming. Same with TESB and ROTJ. Nothing has changed in the movie's dynamics except for the way cinema has changed over the years.

11. C3POED_OUT

C3POED_OUT Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 10, 2003
    My only gripe with the story was the political stuff - I found that very uniteresting.

Surprisingly, the political dwellings in the first two prequels have been quite welcome with me. I blame that on Ian McDiarmid's fine performance, one that always protrudes an evil master lurking in the shadows. His "political speak" never fails to take me in the moment.

As for Clones' story in general, I love that, too. The love story may have not been the most gratifying to watch (love stories rarely are for me, but I atleast can watch the love scenes in the film without regurgitating my food), but I didn't mind it one bit, as there was more than enough action and suitable pacing leading to a satisfying conclusion.

12. Jedi_Master201

May 5, 2001
    "Couldn't Lucas have taken us somewhere better than Tatooine to introduce Anakin in TPM?"

How is this not an epic element?! Anakin came from the same planet as Luke. Ironic, and cool.

"It was always concieved that Uncle Owen was Obi-Wan's brother, so we didn't need to go there until Ep. III."

Things change. I personally don't see why the heck it would matter if Owen and Obi-Wan were brothers....

"Coruscant was cool, but Naboo and its gungans was just plain terrible."

Tell me, what's wrong wth Naboo? As for the Gungans, how are they any worse than say...the Ewoks? Or 3PO?

"Also, the whole Sith/Jedi backstory was not even explained. Darth Maul is onscreen for 3 minutes tops, saying stuff like, 'At last we will have revenge.' Why do they want revenge? George Lucas hints at great things in the movie, but never shows them."

Sublty, my friend. One of the great things about the PT. Did we know much about this stuff in the OT? Didn't think so. Besides, I'm sure Ep.III will explain it all better.

"In AOTC, we get Anakin and Padme staring at each other for half the movie"

Better than more "crappy" dialogue, right? Besides, I fail to see how most of the time they only stare at each other.

"more Tatooine (oh, I killed some sand people who tied my mother up and beat her and would do it to anybody else I should feel so bad boo hoo!!!)."

[face_laugh] In the OT we have Luke who goes after the man who "killed" his father (oh I'm going after the big scary guy with breathing problems. He killed my father and cut off my hand boo hoo!!)

"The Clone Wars are nothing like anyone imagined them, and it dissapointed me."

Well I'm sorry it disapointed you. It was a much more epic battle than anyother SW battle, to me.

13. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    There y'go. Differing opinions.

Most of the 'problems' in the PT also occur in the OT, but I have absolutely no interest in ripping those films to pieces either just to prove a point.

14. Charlie_Martel

Sep 8, 2001
    "Couldn't Lucas have taken us somewhere better than Tatooine to introduce Anakin in TPM?"

Like where? Uranus? I don't think it's a bad thing that both Luke and Anakin grow up on the same dull planet. They both want nothing more than to leave that place and move on.

"but Naboo and its gungans was just plain terrible. The backlash of Jar Jar Binks-haters shoudl be enough to persuade you of that."

Umm, the Gungans are not the point of Naboo. The point of Naboo is for a way to have Palpatine rise to power and Anakin fall in love. I don't see anything wrong with Palpatine's rise to power and the meeting of Padme and Anakin being linked :)

"Also, the whole Sith/Jedi backstory was not even explained."

Why is this relevant to the OT at all?

"Darth Maul is onscreen for 3 minutes tops, saying stuff like, "At last we will have revenge." Why do they want revenge?"

Because the Jedi wiped them out? That is implied in the movie when the Jedi talk about how the Sith have been extinct for a millennium.

"In AOTC, we get Anakin and Padme staring at each other for half the movie"

Maybe because they like each other? [face_plain]

"more Tatooine (oh, I killed some sand people who tied my mother up and beat her and would do it to anybody else I should feel so bad boo hoo!!!)"

So what if Tuksens would do that to anyone? Anakin was very emotionally attached to his mother. He was not mature enough to handle her slaying. There is nothing wrong with showing Anakin's first steps down the dark path.

"The Clone Wars are nothing like anyone imagined them"

And how do you know this? It may not have been what you expected.

"and it dissapointed me"

Well boo-hoo :p

"The ending of AOTC is action, action, action."

And what is the ending of ANH, ESB, and RotJ? Action, action, action.

15. Attack_of_the_Ewoks

Mar 8, 2003
    It was always concieved that Uncle Owen was Obi-Wan's brother, so we didn't need to go there until Ep. III

That was written in the ROTJ novel, not in the films, so it never was canon.

I'm looking at my Owen Lars CCG card, and it says brother of Obi-Wan Kenobi. It also says this in the official guide to characters.

You people think I have a problem with the Action, Action, Action, but I don't. Lay off.

16. Jedi_Master201

May 5, 2001
    As a good former poster here once said, it's all in good fun. :)

17. darthtj

darthtj Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 27, 2002
    You complain about the political stuff, than the love story than the action? What do you want a nusical Grant it they have been revived but yoda singing isn't what I call fun.

Damn aotc for actually having a story and plot.

18. Attack_of_the_Ewoks

Mar 8, 2003
    Lucas should never have made these new movies. Damn it all to hell. He's been insane since he spray-painted all over his classic movies in '97.

19. Jedi_Master201

May 5, 2001
    Then I guess you go back to your little world and watch only the OEs the rest of your life and pretend the new movies don't exist. ;)

Otherwise, you'll just have to accept the way the story has turned out. Being bitter over it isn't going to change anything. Might as well embrace the good qualities of these movies, or just forget them altogether.

20. Attack_of_the_Ewoks

Mar 8, 2003
    Thanks Yoda. I think I'll go watch Spaceballs.

21. Jedi_Master201

May 5, 2001
    No problem, Young Padawan. :p

22. Charlie_Martel

Sep 8, 2001
    "Then I guess you go back to your little world and watch only the OEs the rest of your life and pretend the new movies don't exist."

ROFL! A friend of mine is actually doing that! He loves the OT more than anything and hates the PT more than anything. He refuses to acknowledge that the PT is actually part of Star Wars :D

23. sdj

sdj Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    I do find it funny that people pictured the clone wars differently when there was only 2 lines in the whole series regarding them.

Myself I'm pleased that they're not fighting cloned Jedi. Now that would be stupid.

24. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    I do find it funny that people pictured the clone wars differently when there was only 2 lines in the whole series regarding them.

How so very true. You should post more.
    I'm serious.

25. Qonas

Qonas Jedi Master star 4

Feb 12, 2003
    As for myself, I had no problems with the story of AoTC with the exception of the god-awful Anakin-Padme love bit. That could've been written SO much better, and it actually WAS yet Lucas cut out all the good parts of it and left us with the emotionless drivel we got.

That said, I also think the PT should've gone differently. Have Obi-Wan directly taught by Yoda, not the younglings bit. No "Bail Antilles" mix-up from TPM. No "midichlorians". I am very pleased with how Palpatine's arc is coming through, however, that is awesome.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.