How is the story bad?

Discussion in 'Attack of the Clones' started by sdj, Mar 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rebel Scumb Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    well you could read some of the thread. :)
  2. Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling

star 6
    Actually, the story is really good. One of the best stories ever to be told in cinema.
  3. obi_wanmeister Jedi Knight

star 1
    only gripe with the story was the political stuff - I found that very uniteresting.

I thought the political stuff was the only interesting point. The whole political evolution mirrors Anakin's evolution and the basis for the rest of the Saga. (Episode I left out a lot of politics and settled for neutral cgi battles on green naboo fields. What was the point of episode I for the story?)
    I think politics will play a major role for episode III.

But, that is just my opinion and take on the story.
  4. darth-amedda Jedi Master

star 4
    I'd say that it is maybe even the best story from the all SW episodes - the most complex, quite subtle, very coherent and not so obvious. :cool:
  5. Tatooine_Fireman Jedi Master

star 4
    I don't think the story was bad, but it missed some things.
    Like in TPM, the Jedi were faced with the return of the Sith, but that was left out of AOTC. I know there was a scene with Yoda and Mace walking to the Jedi Temple from Palpatine's office, and they discussed the Sith. Mace says something like "...it's been ten years, and still, the Sith haven't shown their selves." Yoda replies with something like; "Out there, they are. For sure, that is." That scene was combined with the deleted hangar scene, and became the scene with Obi-Wan, Mace and Yoda, but I think that little scene is necessary to add a little continuity from TPM to AOTC, and would also add to the mystery as well as the growing threat of the Sith. In the final movie, it seems like the Jedi know the Sith are out there, but do nothing about it, while Mace said in TPM (twice!) that they would unravel the mystery of the Sith.

What I don't understand is that so many people have anything against Tatooine in TPM and AOTC. In the OT Ben liturally says "...should've stayed here..." which means Anakin was at Tatooine, at least at some point in the saga. Also, Owen Lars is Luke's uncle, so he had to be a relative of either Anakin or Padme, and it both cases, Tatooine had to be visited in at least one of the three prequels.
  6. PMT99 Force Ghost

star 4
    "In the final movie, it seems like the Jedi know the Sith are out there, but do nothing about it."

And just what were the Jedi suppose to do? They can't waste their time, energy, and manpower looking for the Sith when they don't know exactly WHO they're looking for and WHERE they are hiding. Their only strategy is to make the Sith come to them but the Sith are smart enough not to do that.
  7. Tatooine_Fireman Jedi Master

star 4
    I agree with you on that, but if it at least would be stated that the Jedi still knew that they are out there. It just seemed to be that the Jedi didn't seem to care, like they had forgotten about it. It's just a little thing that I missed.
  8. PMT99 Force Ghost

star 4
    When Mace mentioned that the Jedi's ability to use the Force is diminishing, Yoda believes that the Sith are responsible for this by suggesting that "Only the Dark Lord of the Sith knows of our weaknesses" so that conversation shows that they still know that the Sith are out there only due to the Dark Side clouding their vision like Dooku stated, they're too blind as bats to find them.
  9. Tatooine_Fireman Jedi Master

star 4
    PMT99, thanks for clearing that up, but I think it should've been stated earlier in the movie. Again, it's something *I* missed. I don't think it affects the story at all, but it's just (IMO) not there enough...if you get what I mean... ;)
  10. kittenmommy Jedi Knight

star 3
    The "love" story.

Unbelievably bad.

It never makes any sense. We have the DVD, and let me tell you that repeated viewings have not made it any clearer why a sophisticated, well-educated Senator would fall in love with an immature whiny teenager with obvious anger management problems and major problems with authortiy, not to mention his creepy, stalker-like tendencies.

Of course she disabled that camera in her bedroom, Anakin - you hit it right on the head when you said that you didn't think she liked you watching her! I'm sure she knew that you had one hand on your lightsaber at all times!

Sheesh!

It boggles the mind - I mean, yes, it's just a movie. But my disbelief can only be suspended so far!

OK, I'm done now, I promise!

LOL

11. PMT99 Force Ghost

star 4
    kittenmommy-

Anakin was NOT watching Padme just for the sake of being a peeping tom because that is how security gaurds protect people such as celebrities and politicians. Using cameras to watch over these people is one of many methods in which the gaurds can protect them which is what Anakin was doing.
  12. kittenmommy Jedi Knight

star 3
    PMT99 wrote:

Anakin was NOT watching Padme just for the sake of being a peeping tom because that is how security gaurds protect people such as celebrities and politicians. Using cameras to watch over these people is one of many methods in which the gaurds can protect them which is what Anakin was doing.

I think he was a little more into it than that, don't you?? And I think Padmé sensed it.

Yeah, he was guarding her, all right - like I said in my other post, he was watching her with one hand on his lightsaber at all times! ;)
  13. Tatooine_Fireman Jedi Master

star 4
    ...his hand on his lightsaber LOL :)
    I don't think the lovestory is very good, but it doesn't bother me at all. Some scenes work, others on't work as good, and I agree it's a bit rushed, but bad...not at all.
  14. Pepijn Jedi Master

star 4
    The story isn't really bad, but it is very sloppy in some aspects. This story cannot stand on its own, something the others can do better. There are lots of scenes which seem storyline-wise very stupid. (The Lightsaber Battle / The Republic opening a war for three people, while they were very anti-war)
  15. Vaderbait Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I don't think it's as epic and as great as it should've been after 20 years of people waiting.

I wouldn't call the OT epic, until ROTJ. So when Episode III comes out, then you can compare it to the OT's "epicness". I think that TPM was much more epic than ANH, and AOTC was about on par with ESB.
  16. Pepijn Jedi Master

star 4
    ANH less epic than TPM? No...

The rebel alliance saved the galaxy from the Death Star...

The gungan alliance only saved Naboo...
  17. gezvader28 Force Ghost

star 4
    PMT99
    Anakin was NOT watching Padme just for the sake of being a peeping tom because that is how security gaurds protect people such as celebrities and politicians.

So why did she cover the cameras then?

g
  18. SaberGiiett7 Force Ghost

star 6
    For the most part, the story arc of Attack of the Clones was flawless. My only major gripes are the mincing of a few, petty sequences/scenes that would have contributed tremendously. :(

I also don't particularly like the fact that the original Clone Army is technologicly advanced, weaponry advanced, and strategically advanced than the Empire we saw in the Original Trilogy. :confused:

<[-]> Saber
  19. PMT99 Force Ghost

star 4
    Kittenmommy-"I think he was a little more into it than that, don't you??? And I think Padme` sensed it."

But how come Obi-wan didn't sense it? If he felt the same way you did about Anakin's behavior, he would have said "What were you thinking" instead of "What is she thinking".

Gezvader28-"So why did she cover the cameras then?"

Because she was so excited to have a good-looking stud like Anakin in her apartment that she felt embarrassed to have him watch her.
  20. Tatooine_Fireman Jedi Master

star 4
    Pepijn, I think Vaderbait meant with "epic" that TPM has a much larger scale (more different locations, costumes, more creatures, 3-way battle going on) and (IMO) cooler cinematography.
  21. Hudnall Jedi Youngling

star 5
    No.

The story was perfect.

My only issue is that it was too big to be dealt with adequately in just over 2 hours. It should have been a 3-hour movie. IMHO
  22. gezvader28 Force Ghost

star 4
    Because she was so excited to have a good-looking stud like Anakin in her apartment that she felt embarrassed to have him watch her.

The only people I saw embarassed were Panaka and Obi at Anakin's lame chat-up lines (not to mention the audience.) Padme seemed to be unimpressed.

And how do you know she was embarassed when she covered the cameras, that scene isn't even in the movie.

g
  23. PMT99 Force Ghost

star 4
    "Padme seemed to be unimpressed."

She's pretending to be unimpressed just to hide her true feelings for Anakin just as Leia was doing the same to Han Solo by acting all angry and hostile.

"And how do you know that she was embarrassed when she was covering the cameras, that scene isn't even in the movie."

How do you know she wasn't? What other reason did she had to cover the cameras? I doubt she'd view Anakin as a creepy pervert straight away after only seeing him for 2 minutes and plus, his job requires him to watch over her.

Also, when Obi-wan said, "What is she thinking?", that indicated that she felt embarrased to have Anakin watch her.
  24. DrunkenJawas Jedi Knight

star 1
    The story wasnt bad, only the way it was presented... or at least thats what im guessing theyre thinking.
  25. jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Actually, the story is really good. One of the best stories ever to be told in cinema.

I completely agree with Go-Mer on this issue.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.