main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How is Yoda Obi Wan's master????

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Disco_Dark_Jeedai, Nov 8, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Disco_Dark_Jeedai

Disco_Dark_Jeedai Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 19, 2001
    Title says it all!

2. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Matt was telling me that that will be explained in Ep2.

As well it was explained in JA books.

3. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    IIRC, Lucas mentions it in the Directors COmmentary

4. Disco_Dark_Jeedai

Disco_Dark_Jeedai Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 19, 2001
  5. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Yoda trained Obi-Wan for a while, then Qui-Gon took over. Simple.

6. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    Wait till Ep.2.

7. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    Its when we see the council for the first time, I think Lucas basically confirms what Bib just said

8. Lonewolf89

Lonewolf89 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 26, 2001
    I got the impression that Yoda was everyone's master, because he was on the Jedi Council in the Old Republic. Therefor it was his responsibility to teach all the Jedi.

9. Doright

Doright Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 10, 1999
    Just because Obiwan tells Luke that Yoda was the Jedi master that trained him, doesn?t mean he is the ONLY Jedi Master to train him.

10. dengofett

dengofett Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 7, 2001
    who was Yodas master? food for thought.

11. Kwenn

Kwenn Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2001
    Well, we know who Qui-Gon's master is now, so we might find who Yoda's master was in EpIII!

12. dengofett

dengofett Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 7, 2001
    whos qui-gons master. (i may have missed something)

13. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    Er, that's a AotC spoiler. So you guys better be quiet. If you want to know, highlight the text in the Episode II news section at the TFN main page.

14. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    IIRC - If I Remember Correctly

All Jedi are trained at the Temple until a master takes them as a padawan. Yoda teaches at the Temple. Therefore, Yoda taught OB1.

In ESB OB1 could have said "You must go to the Dagobah System. There you will learn fro Yoda, one of the JEdi Masters who instructed me before Qui-Gon Jinn took me on as his padawan learner." but that wouldn't make much sense to Luke.

Also, yes, Qui-Gon's Master will be in E2.

wk

15. Kwenn

Kwenn Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2001
    True. It's just easier for Luke to hear.

Sorry, I didn't regard Qui-Gon's master as a spoiler, seeing as it was part of a big thing posted about EpII on TF.N.

16. ANIandAMIDALA4EVER

ANIandAMIDALA4EVER Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 15, 2001
    I didn't think Luke knew about Qui-Gon.

17. Jedi_Padawan01

Jedi_Padawan01 Jedi Youngling

Sep 21, 2001
    Jeez, you people! All you have to do is READ the first JA aka Padawan books, as I like to call them. In it Obi-wan's having a duel with this other pupil, and Yoda's watching the fight, giving them instructions. My favourite one so far is the first one, and the one where Qui-Gon tells Tahl he loves her. For those of you who haven't read it, READ IT! IT'S THE BEST BOOK EVER! Well, one of them! I haven't read The Death Of Hope yet, but I hear it's so good I just have to read it! I'm starting to collect the whole series, I've got two books so far. I've actually made a deal with my sis that she can have the Young Jedi Knights books and I'll collect the JA books, and we can swap whenever. I heard that Yoda was a type of alien called a Whill, so maybe his masters name was Whilly, he he heh he he... just joking! Maybe it was Yaddle? Who knows, mon. I don't.
    TOTALLY OFF TOPIC: WHAT'S YOUR FAVOURITE JEDI APPRENTICE BOOK?

18. Lord_Ogli

Lord_Ogli Jedi Master star 4

Oct 5, 2001
    I doubt that Yaddle yas Yoda's teacher as Yoda is older.

19. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    Simple answer - in the midst of all his efforts to hammer TPM into shape, George forgot about the lines from ESB...

Kludged workaround - Yoda tought Obi-Wan before Qwi-Gon did...

- The Imperial Ewok

20. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    The Jedi Temple is like a school. All Jedi students must attend (except Ani) until they are old enough to be choosen by a Knight/Master to become a padawan. All the Jedi there teach different subjects: lightsabers, levitation, english lit., etc. Yoda is one of the instructors there. Therefore, Yoda taught OB1, who was a student there. End of debate.

wk

21. Jedi_Xen

Jedi_Xen Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 26, 2001
    Obi-Wan never said Yoda trained him, people for what ever reason assume thats what he meant.

What Obi-Wan did say was Yoda was the Jedi Master that Instructed him. And as it has been said with Yoda being on the Council he instructed many Jedi. It is even said in text about Yoda in the WOTC Star Wars RPG source book that Yoda instructed all students in the order until they were given to a Jedi Knight or Master for training.

22. Ceifer

Ceifer Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    What I'm wondering, is how come Yoda isn't the Head of the Jedi Council. How is that Mace Windu out ranks Yoda despite the fact that the little pointed ear green guy has been a Jedi Master 700+ years longer then Mace. Though, I don't really have a problem with this since Mace is played by the supreme badass mo fo God, Samuel L Jackson.

23. Jedi_Xen

Jedi_Xen Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 26, 2001
    I didn't know the Jedi Council had a head, I know some Masters are more revered than others. That contradicts the fact they sit in a circle.

"The table is round, there is no head so everyone is equal including the king." King Arthur talking to Sir Lancelot

24. Ceifer

Ceifer Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    Yah, from what I'm hearing from the movies, Mace Windu is the "Head" of the Jedi Counsil. That quote from King Arthur is so true though, the Jedi Counsil shouldn't even have a "Head".

25. jedimasterED

jedimasterED Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 10, 1999
    Well this has gone successfully off-topic! :D

As was said before, Yoda taught at the Jedi Temple. There's a very good chance he's taught just about all of the Jedi as of AotC, so from a certain point of view (boy, Obi-Wan really works that angle, doesn't he?), Yoda was "the Master who instructed" him.

As far as "heads" of the Council, IIRC, the Episode I Visual Dictionary (and probably some other source I'm forgetting) outlines that there are three types of Council Members:

Senior: Lifetime members.

Long-term: Indefinite and determined to end by the Jedi him/her/itself.

and

Short-term: Limited and determined to end by the Council.

If my addled mind is working correctly, that is. Y'all can fill in who was what with out me... too tired... must sleep... mustzzzz...zzzz...zzzz...

*SNORT!*

Oh! G'night!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.