main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena How knowledgeable are you about different sports?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by JMJacenSolo, Jan 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JMJacenSolo

JMJacenSolo Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2006
    Alright, this this is a thread for you to try and stick your chest out as far as you can; Namely, how deep is your "encyclopaedic" knowledge of professional sports leagues?

For me:

NFL: I know all of the Super Bowl matchups back to Giants vs. Bills. Before that, I know the first handful of Super Bowls and could fill in the blanks on a few in the middle, but by no means know all of them. And with the exception of an AFC Wild Card game here and there, I know the entire playoff bracket from 2002 to present, and know the conference championships back to 1998.

NBA: NBA Finals back to the Bulls first championship, conference championships back to 1998.

Other than with these two leagues, I'm not too good :p

I'm sure there are people here who can go back thirty years in each of the four major leagues, not to mention Golf, Tennis etc. And you can throw in individual statistical rankings as well, and anything else you can think of. I think it'd be fun to have some sort of trivia contest with this kind of stuff, but obviously it's way too easy to look this kind of stuff up in this day and age, so we'll go with the honor system here :p I want to hear from you guys!

2. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    I know way too much NHL. A little while back I did this Sporcle quiz and I got 63/65.

3. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I know a little bit about a lot of sports. Don't have encyclopedia knowledge of any.

4. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I only got 30. :(

5. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Basic general knowledge of the NBA (mostly followed it during the Jordan years and left when he retired after the lockout), MLB (I am willing to admit I was one of those who followed the McGwire/Sosa Homerun chase back in the late 90s as well as Cal Ripen's Iron Man streak), and NHL, alongside what ESPN supplies during SportsCenter.

But NFL is the one I follow passionately. I've watched every season since I was a kid and could probably through out the most obscure facts if I wanted to. For instance did anybody know that Vince Lombardi coached the Redskins the season before he died? That's how knowledgable I can be about the sport.

6. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    I got 20. :( Shows that I don't know much about the West at all. [face_whistling]

7. Darth_Furio

Darth_Furio Chosen One star 8

Apr 17, 2008
    I got 40.

8. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    NHL: Nothing. I'd probably be lucky to get one on that quiz, so I'm not going to bother trying :p

NFL: Minimal. I keep a loose eye on what's going on during the season, and can go through some stuff from recent years, but that's about it.

NBA: A little more, but still not a ton.

MLB: By far the most of the professional leagues. I've only been following baseball for a 6+ years but I lived with a walking baseball encyclopedia for 3 years and that definitely rubbed off on me, at least some. I can't come close to him, but I know a good bit now.

On the flip side, I can do much better at college sports :p

9. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    I blame this thread for getting me re-addicted to Sporcle. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.