main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga How long a time period does each movies span?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Rogue Five, Jul 18, 2014.

1. Rogue Five

Rogue Five Jedi Padawan star 2

Jun 11, 2014
    I was just thinking about this earlier, after reading how someone thought that the length of Luke's training on Dagobah in ESB is way too short. They thought the film implied it was less than a week. I always figured that since the Falcon's hyperdrive was busted, it would've taken them several weeks or months to reach Bespin, leaving plenty of time for Luke's training.

Anyhow, I just began to wonder: How long a time period does each movie span? Here are my thoughts:

Phantom: Probably just a few days, maybe less than a week. I haven't watched it in forever, but I only recall them spending less than a day on Naboo, two or three on Tatooine, and then they arrive on and leave Coruscant quickly, probably just another day there.

Clones: This might be a couple weeks or so? The timeline isn't as clear. They spend a day on Coruscant before Ani and Padme take off for Naboo, and Obi-wan goes off to play detective. How long did all that take? Again, my memory of the film is a little foggy.

Sith: Not counting the epilogue, which I assume takes place several weeks after the rest of the movie, I'd say Sith occupies less than a week or so? I remember someone using the amount of sunsets on Coruscant to determine that.

ANH: Another tricky one. It seems like everything from the opening to meeting Han takes a couple days, again based off the sunsets. After that, it depends on how long it took to travel to Alderaan and then to Yavin 4. Is there any source that mentioned the travel times?

Empire: The one that got me thinking. I'd say it could take up over a month, maybe two, long enough for Luke to receive at least a basic amount of teaching. Again, anyone else know long it took in canon?

Jedi: The whole Jabba's Palace timeline is a little vague. It seems like 3P0 and R2 showing up, Leia arriving, and her freeing Han is all one day, then Luke arrives the next and springs them. But it feels to me like Luke wouldn't have staggered them all arriving so quickly, for fear of suspicion maybe? So I was thinking R2 and 3P0 might have showed up a few days before Leia arrived. Then of course, how long until Luke showed? Next day, or several days? I've heard both.
    It's fairly easy to figure out the rest. Assuming they arrive at Home One, spend a day or so there before leaving for Endor, and the spend another day on Endor, it's just two more days after Jabba's death they're dancing with Ewoks.

Sorry for the wall of text, but I was curious. Especially about the Jabba's palace part and the Empire timeline. So, any thoughts or official sources on the matter?

2. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I think The Essential Atlas has travel times. Forget what they are, though.