main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How Long Can A LightSaber Remain Activated?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by LottDodd, Feb 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LottDodd

LottDodd Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2002
    Can it run for eight straight hours without diminishing it's Power Supply? 12? Two Days? Only 90 Minutes of Continued Use?

What Happens as Power Begins to run Out? Do they Just Shut Down? Flicker And Sputter? Slowly Fade?

2. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    As far as I know, most of the hilt of a lightsaber (beneath the focusing crystal) is power cell. I'm not exactly certain of how long they can run for but I'd assume that it would be a considerable amount of time.

Anyone have the Essential Guide To Technology handy? ;)

3. LottDodd

Oct 4, 2002
    Like a two Year Light Bulb?

4. The_Anakin_Wannabe

The_Anakin_Wannabe Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2003
    Depends, can anyone see the Duracell bunny? :p

I don't follow the technical side of SW, so I dont really know. I'm willing to bet it will be a about 6-8 hours.

5. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    "I don't follow the technical side of SW...."

Then why are you posting in this thread at all?

Please only post if you have something to contribute in the future. We're not interested in your attempts at humour.

[face_plain]

6. The_Anakin_Wannabe

Jan 21, 2003
    Well then. What is point of being here if you can't enjoy yourself. I did input into the topic, I gave my opinion. The board is here to express opinions.

7. LottDodd

Oct 4, 2002
    I don't mind humor...

8. Master_Scooter

Master_Scooter Jedi Youngling

Feb 17, 2003
    Everybody needs to laugh,whether the joke was funny or not, so please don't fight it upset me, getting back to the topic, The lightsaber must chew some juice so mabye they have a batery recharger on the side of their bed, so at night they charge them up ready for a fight.

9. LottDodd

Oct 4, 2002
    I would think that a lightsaber is draining up quite a bit of energy.... But It has to be able to las trough an extended Seige in Battle. If It Conks out after Eight Hours, A Jedi Is Going to be in real Trouble...

10. The_Anakin_Wannabe

Jan 21, 2003
    An eight hour battle is a long time. Eight hours of no resting hand to hand combat. I think you'd wear out before your saber batteries

11. Master_Scooter

Feb 17, 2003
    I have a feeling that we will not find the answer only speculation, the lightsaber may last for days even weeks, who's to say.

12. Krede

Krede Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 20, 2000
    I think that it can last a loong time, remember that Anakins' lightsaber still worked when Obi-Wan gave it to Luke.

I know that it had not been used in about 20 years, but anything that only have power for mere hours couldn't hold energy for that many years, whether it was used or not.

13. OnlyOneKenobi

OnlyOneKenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 19, 2002
    It is believed lightsabers are charged, so I'd guess Obi-Wan kept Anakin's lightsaber constantly charged to give to Luke in working order... how depressing would it be to get your first ligthsaber and it didn't work because it wasn't charged? Hmmm, I'm guessing with the advanced technology of the Star Wars universe a lightsaber could probably remain activated for a day or two, somewhat like current cellphones.

14. Krede

Krede Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 20, 2000
    yeah that maybe true, but I like the idea that they don't have to charge them all the time like some kind of cellphone.

One of the 'few' advantages by using a sword instead a blaster is that they don't run out of 'ammo'.

Jedi travel to primitive planets, where electricity or chargers may not be readily available. It would be pretty stupid to carry around a weapon that needs to be recharged after a few days of continued use.

EDITS: The Star Wars site says this:

'...A superconductor transfers the power from the flux aperture to the power cell. As a result, a lightsaber only expends power when its blade cuts through something.'

So a lightsaber can actually remain activated forever, unless it's used to cut through something.

15. OnlyOneKenobi

OnlyOneKenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 19, 2002
    '...A superconductor transfers the power from the flux aperture to the power cell. As a result, a lightsaber only expends power when its blade cuts through something.'

I forgot about that! Yeah so I guess unless it's busy cutting through something it would stay on forever.

16. stainlesssteelrat

stainlesssteelrat Jedi Youngling

Feb 9, 2003
    the essential guide says the same as the OS

17. The_Sith_Prophet

The_Sith_Prophet Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 22, 2003
    HTTP://thelightsaber.com

It's even more informed than the OS.

18. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    Nothing can last forever. I'm not sure, but i'd have to say a few hours, it can't last for one month, i'm sure of that.

19. LottDodd

Oct 4, 2002
    What Happens as it Loses Power??

20. The_Anakin_Wannabe

Jan 21, 2003
    Probably fades out like a torch.

21. JMaster Luke

JMaster Luke Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 7, 2000
    well whatever keeps the saber working must be very strong. cuz remember when Maul got his saber cut in half? well when the half of the saber that Maul was not holding hit the wall it exploded. So those crystals or whatever keep the saber going must be compressed with ALOT of power, and when the saber got damanged and hit the wall it exploded.

You'll never see a remote control explode if it hits a wall. batteries dont explode. and plain crystals just brake. so whatever "power" is in the crystal must be very strong, and i'm sure the sabers last for months or years without having to change them.

just a little theory of mine.

22. LottDodd

Oct 4, 2002
    But when Anakin Gets his Sabers Sliced in Half... He Loses two... They Just Spark a bit.. No explosions. ANd One was Hacked By Another Lightsaber...

23. Master_Scooter

Feb 17, 2003
    What about when Qui-Gon used his lightsaber to try to burn through the doors on the Federation ship in Episode 1 just before they esscaped to the planet of Naboo. HE would have used alot of energy, then he goes and uses it in a fight with Darth Mual.

24. The_Anakin_Wannabe

Jan 21, 2003
    Does the EU say that the Sabers are charged while there on the belt of its owner?? I don't like the EU however i am curious.

25. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    I've seen some places say that the covertec clip on lightsaber hilts are charging ports.

EDIT: The TPM VD confirms this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.