main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How long did the Jedi keep peace in the galaxy?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by TrueJedi, Nov 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrueJedi

TrueJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 22, 2000
    In ANH, Ben says that for a "thousand generations" the Jedi had kept the peace. Assuming a generation is, let's say 75 years, then that would be 75,000 years. I think I recall the Republic being a thousand years old. So, have the Jedi been around about 75,000 years and the Republic is 1,000 years old? Or are my numbers off completely? And if they're right, what "protecting" have the Jedi been doing? I have no doubt there is an EU answer out there but is there a canon answer?

If this has been addressed before, please feel free to close and re-direct. Thank you.

2. DarthDubya05

DarthDubya05 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 1, 2005
    from what i read, The Old Jedi Order was formed around 25,000 BBY, around the time the Galactic Republic was formed also.

3. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    That incarnation of the republic was a thousand years old. It's safe to assume that there have been earlier republics, way back in the day, not counting EU knowledge, which shows earlier republics.

4. TrueJedi

Jun 22, 2000
    from what i read, The Old Jedi Order was formed around 25,000 BBY, around the time the Galactic Republic was formed also.

Then that would definitely conflict with what Ben was saying because a lifetime couldn't be considered a mere 25 years. What do you think?

5. sgtelias31

sgtelias31 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 3, 2003
    I would consider a generation to be around 25 years.

6. Jedi-Queen

Jedi-Queen Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 16, 2005
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dates_in_Star_Wars#Timeline_of_Star_Wars_History

wiki shows

c. 100,000 BBY
    The planet Coruscant is now covered entirely by its principal city, later known as the Galactic City.
    The ancient Sith civilization begins to develop on the planet Korriban.
    The Jedi rise

1,000 BBY
    Thousand year peace begins, Jedi Order accepts new laws

7. MasterGizz

MasterGizz Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 4, 2003
    I think it can also depend on your definition of 'generation'; I'm sure someone will post an official answer of that here soon enough!

But the way I look at it, is that whereas approximately 75 years or so is a lifetime, I wouldn't call that a generation.

For example, I think of people 20 years older than me of being in a different generation (they watched different kids TV shows, they didn't have iPods, etc), and then those a further 20 years older of a different generation again (those that remember computers the size of whole rooms, etc.).

Ok, not great examples, but I hope you get what I mean...!

8. SEPARATESICKLEROOK2

SEPARATESICKLEROOK2 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 1, 2003
    Generations are typically 30 years long. The current incarnation of the Republic has stood for a thousand years without challenge. It could be surmised that the Jedi protected the galaxy long before the Republic fully formed, when the Republic was just a few systems spreading out to engulf other regions of space.

9. DarthButt

DarthButt Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2003
    I was taught (according to my third grade teacher) a generation was 25 years. According to dictionary.com, it states 30 years. However, it's quite possible that the time period has changed as people in the last 20 years or so are waiting longer to start families, and the time length is flexible to fit whatever the current trend is.

10. andkiich

andkiich Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 19, 2005
    Lets not forget too, that a generation in GFFA may not be the same as what we here in the "real world" think it is.

11. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    All my sciences classes say that a human generation is around 25 years. 25-30 years is acceptable for a generation in my eyes.

12. Jamiebacca

Jamiebacca Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    yeah, 25 years seems reasonable. There is no clear-cut time used to define one, anywhere from 20-30 could be used. But I like 25. I'm 33, myself, but 25 was good.

13. TrueJedi

Jun 22, 2000
    Even if it is 25 years, that would make it 25,000 years. Ben referred to the Old Republic. Ben only served in one Republic and was clearly talking about the Republic in which he lived. So it would seem that the 1,000 year Republic conflicts with Ben's statement. Right?

14. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000

15. Jamiebacca

Jamiebacca Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    Math sucks.

16. DarthButt

DarthButt Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2003
    Yes. From what I've gathered, the Republic has reinvented itself several times over the course of the 25,000 years. The constant has been that the Jedi have always played a similar role thoughout each 'version' over that time period.

17. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
  18. Lord_Pilaf

Lord_Pilaf Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 9, 2006
    The current Republic, the one before Palpatine declared himself Emperor, lasted for 1,000 years, but it had several predecessors.

19. Darth-Erevos

Darth-Erevos Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 19, 2006

The generation in global statistics is considered 29 years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.