main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How long do you work on a fan film?

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by QuanarReg, Aug 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Waylynne

Waylynne Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 4, 2001
    18 months and counting... an' if it wasn't for havin' another wee one recently, I'da finished it 2 months ago...

2. borjis fett

borjis fett Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 25, 1999

The "Tales of a Black Sun Vigo" test, took a month.

3. Darth Virru

Darth Virru Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 11, 2000
    Started on April 1, 2000(Coincidence? I don't think so.) and we probably won't be done for another two years.

JediTAC: The reason it will take us so long is not because of special effects as we have almost none. Besides the length that will probably be around 45 minutes, my partner and I rarely see each other. We go to uni half-way across the country(OK vs. PA), have jobs with the likes, and during the summer while we're nearby, we both work usually opposite shifts. He works day, I work evenings. Then there are the costumes which we have all of one person making, she too being at uni and working. Then another person composing for us who is usually in PA and working, although sometimes goes to visit his family in Costa Rica. Basically, the only times we could film is during Winter recess or Summer. Even then we'd probably have at most a few days open between the two of us for Winter recess, and at most maybe a dozen for Summer. Then of course we have to take into account schedules of other actors. Now if we allowed ourselves to film without both of us around, we'd be done in half the time, but we'll have nothing to do with that. Getting it done is hunky-dory and all, but half the fun is in making it!

Sorry for yakking, I'm quite dull.

4. ChrisHanel

ChrisHanel Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 2002
    The Formula took 18 months.

-Chris

5. Lord_Rive

Lord_Rive TFN Fan Films Staff star 4 VIP

Jun 29, 2000
    Two months?!? Post production alone took four...

6. DaftMaul

DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff star 5 VIP

Feb 18, 2001
    Post production on a bluescreen fim is pretty well everything, Duality has about 130(ish) shots, so two months would have meant about 2 shots finished per day (including all CGI, rotoscoping, keying etc) Then there's the edit/compression etc, so when you think of it like that hopefully you can understand the reason these films take a long time.

I find post=-production easily the most difficult, time consuming part of this process. (but it's also the only bit I actually enjoy)

Dark Skies took just under a year from start to finish (don't know how I did that actually). Storm Ahead is almost up to a year already and we've only just shot the footage (which took two days) I'm still months away from finishing post.

I'm just a lot busier this year than last year :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.