How long does it take for stuff to mature???

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by Utility_Belt, Feb 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: CrazyMike, LAJ_FETT
  1. Utility_Belt Jedi Youngling

Hello. I have a large collection of star wars stuff, mainly ep1 and ep2, and a small amount form OT. I have all the figures in the boxes, unopened, which like many other is a constant battle!! i was wondering if anyone could give me an idea of how long it takes for these things to become valuable??? even more so then they already are??
  2. Lord_Skywalker Jedi Master

star 4
    I would suggest buying a pricing guide such as Lee's Action Figure News or Tomart's Guide to Toys.......they can give you current market values for your figures
  3. JediJunkie247 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    For most things, I believe it takes quite a while for toys to mature in value. So unless you have an ultra-rare EP1 figure, I would not expect too much right now.
  4. Abhors Elder Guest

The modern line will never become as valuable as the vintage. Not with everyone and their grandmother buying them these days...

Remember the Rebelscum motto:
    "Collect to Collect"

-saber holder
  5. NiktosRule Jedi Master

star 4
    It would take a long time for the figures since 95 to be worth anything. Only the figures that were very hard to find or released in limited quantities are worth much right now.
  6. strwrshrln Jedi Knight

star 1
    The vintage items are more valuable because so many people opened and played with them. Most of the items from that time period are no longer mint. I would guess that about half of the stuff from the newer lines are still mint in the package. The value will never be as high as long as everyone is keeping them mint. This goes for almost all lines of toys as well. Their will be a large number of mint items years from now making them easy to find.

Harlan
  7. Mara_Jade_Fan Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    saber_holder is correct, the modern Star Wars toys will never be very valuable as there are a lot of them out there, and people know about protecting them by putting them in Star Cases etc. Back in the 70s/80s most of the toys were opened, people didn't think to collect them or protect the cards, that is why they are valuable - there are so few of them out there, especially ones in good condition.
  8. Utility_Belt Jedi Youngling

star cases??? what are these?? where can i obtain them??
  9. AnakinWisler Jedi Master

star 4
  10. Abhors Elder Guest

Utility_belt, I hope you realize that even in many years your still probably not going to get much more than what you paid for these figures. If your collecting them for future profit, your not really collecting...

-saber holder
  11. TOBBI_DALA Jedi Knight

star 2
    I dont know. Im gonna be 34 and my wife says i STILL aint matured. :)
  12. Quickstrike34 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Well, Lets say there are 100 Jango Fett Figures, And Each one Sells for aprox. $1.00. So this means 100 Jangos, $100.

Now Lets say, someone takes one of those Jangos and completley destroys it to the point of it no longer being a Jango Fett, rather a former Jango Fett. This means 99 of them remain, and the price of the lost one is distributed amoung the others so now each figure is worth about $1.01.

Dosent seem like much of an Increase dose it? Take those figures and than apply those numbers to the Saga Figure of your choice. There are Thousands of each individual figure, which means to even get that $0.01 increase in value you'd have to take alot of them off the market and simply make them disappear. This wont happen, because nowadays everyone keeps them MIB or even if they are Loose in Mint Condition.

Now, Of Course with Age, say perhaps 5 Years, add mabye $1-2 because the Figure is no longer in production and thus has to be bought from someone who already owns one, and proabbly wants to make a profit from it. (Not many other reasons they would be selling it at that point ;) )

This Brings our good old Jango fett, up to about $3 five years later assuming most of his original buddys are still intact.

So Bassically, with the mass number of Figures Released now, and the sheer number of people keeping them in Mint Condition loose or not, the Odds of the Saga Figures ever gaining more than $7-8 from age is very unlikley 8-}
    I wont even factor in the fact the market for Star Wars figs will drop dramatically after Episode III, Leaving only the Die Hard Collectors and the ones they lead into the Saga still wishing to buy the toys. Unless of course there is a re-release of the films to boost sales again much later on down the road. ;)

So In the end, it comes down to Collect because you want to and because it makes you happy :D

Note: My Math might be slightly off, as its my worst subject, but the general Idea is still there :)
  13. Silac5 Jedi Knight

star 3
    That summed it up very well Quickstrike. Its all about rarity. Even the rare figures put out since 1995 aren't really that rare. With a little effort most can be found online or in a specialty shop.

I believe the most valuable SW figure is the Brazilian Vlix (correct me if I stated that wrong). About a year ago one sold on ebay for $5,800 or $8,500 (depending on wheter my memory transposed the figures or not).
  14. Sithman Chosen One

star 7
    "How long does it take for stuff to mature???"

I don't think any of us who still buy toys are mature. :D

...But I love you all anyways. :D
  15. JediJunkie247 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Alright, who accused us of being mature? I want names.

Just kidding. But don't expect to turn a huge profit on anything you buy now. Basically, collect for the joy of it.
  16. Utility_Belt Jedi Youngling

Saber_holder :If your collecting them for future profit, your not really collecting...

Im not collecting for profit, that would be useless. I was only enquirying because on a market near my grandparents house, there was an original Darth Vader unopened for £300, i was just wondering weather or not this would be considered the right price??

17. leif Jedi Knight

star 3
    you should collect for personal interests... not how valuable it will end up. ive seen toys i paid 20 dollars for sell for 100. i have also seen things i paid 25 for... selling for 10.

besides. Maturity is nothing more than a white sweater vest and a short haircut. who in the hell wants that. give me toys, give me anime, and give me a good beer.
  18. jedidavid Jedi Master

star 2
    Yeah, that price might be right. It is based on the scarcity of that figure on that card. The modern stuff won't reach those numbers because everyone today is acutely aware of how mint packaging increases a figures value. I actually believe I read somewhere Kenner made more of the original figures than the newer versions, its just that the older versions were actually played with and today there are fewer examples still around.

You know, I think you could find a few Return of the Jedi figures in the 10 to 20 dollar range still on the cards. You can find very nice examples of loose complete vintage figures for under 10 dollars....5 if your lucky. I found a loose complete c-9 Boba Fett for $6 at a place that was going out of business.

I will say I think the newer stuff will jump in price in about 20 years. I don't see the prices going crazy, but it seems yo me this stuff goes in 20 year cycles. I think its when kids get old enough to have have extra money to spend reclaiming their youth when they turn 30.
Moderators: CrazyMike, LAJ_FETT
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.