main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How long does it usually take you to write a post?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Princess1, Jul 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. freak-pudding

freak-pudding Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2002
    Frelling forever.

I usually take three or four hours no matter what I'm writing. Oy.

2. J_Girl

J_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2001
    StonedRose: ROTFL!

Um, no, you're not alone.

::grudgingly stands up:: Hi, my name is J_Girl. I have been known to take months (and months :p ) to write a post.

::pledges:: I promise to post on a regular basis so my loyal readers do not have to keep going back to read the entire fic just to remember what the hell is going on. :D

J_Girl

3. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    It takes me about an hour or so to write a normal one and a half page post, unless I'm very inspired. ;)

4. Princess1

Princess1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 3, 2001
    J_Girl

Lol, your funny.:p

Hey, us readers don't mind if you take awhile, as long as you come back to the story eventually, cause your post are always worth the wait! :D

You know, most the time I'm pretty fast, but accassionally I'll get to a point of the story that I know what comes next, but gettting from here to there takes a couple post I'm just not as enthusiastic about writing. Then I take longer. :p

5. Qwi_Xux

Qwi_Xux Jedi Master star 4

Oct 5, 2001
    It usually takes me an hour to three hours to write a three or four page post. That's if I have what I want to write in mind, and I'm not interrupted. I have to find time when my infant is sleeping or playing with Daddy to write, so sometimes that keeps me from writing a post for a while...or I'll just need a break from writing. Or sometimes, the fact that I'm writing several different stories takes me a while, because I'll be writing a post for one, and get an idea for one of my other stories, so I'll switch to writing on that for a little while...LOL, I'm so single-minded, can't you tell? 8-}

6. Amphistaff-Chuck

Amphistaff-Chuck Jedi Youngling

May 9, 2003
    Two weeks on average, but it can take over a month at times. Being a perfectionist has its disadvantages.

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Likewise.

I've been known to update my own fic every two months... though I began to get too busy to update it, and it sank into lockdom. :(

8. Amphistaff-Chuck

Amphistaff-Chuck Jedi Youngling

May 9, 2003
    I have one word.... or phrase for you, Jello.

Repost.

9. Qwi_Xux

Qwi_Xux Jedi Master star 4

Oct 5, 2001
    Ahh, the wonders of repost. You can fix mistakes, add things, take things out...

10. Amidala_Skywalker

Amidala_Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 2001
    Jello, PM me, give me the link to your locked thread, and then I'll unlock it and give it a boost :).

Am [face_love]

11. NarundiJedi

NarundiJedi Jedi Master star 6

Oct 8, 2001
    You know you can edit and unlock your locked threads on the fanfic boards, right? And then up them?

I've done this before, I'm pretty sure.

Jae Angel

12. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    I don't have a usual time for post-writing. Usually, I write a lot at a time, then post segments. At least, I used to before I was writing, oh, 18 'fics at once? (Not all of them are SW)

If I actually sit down and get the creative juices flowing, it takes probably five minutes to an hour, depending on how long the thing is. But if I'm distracted, or can't get into the scene just then, it can take me ages. Up to a couple of months, even. Which is why, sometimes, my stories go one to three months between posts.

Dana

13. Princess1

Princess1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 3, 2001
    Hey, I always say, no matter how long a post takes you, its still a reason to celebrate when one actualy gets done! :p :D

14. rogue11lovesjag

rogue11lovesjag Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 13, 2002
    If I know what's going to happen, I can get it done in about an hour. If I'm having problems, sometimes three or four.

If, like now, I've no idea what I'm trying to do, days.

~Rogue

15. Lonewolf89

Lonewolf89 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 26, 2001
    Hey, I always say, no matter how long a post takes you, its still a reason to celebrate when one actualy gets done!

I like that philosophy. :D

16. Xaara

Xaara Jedi Master star 3

Jun 30, 2002
    I don't really have a definite time period. I usually set myself a minimum number of words per day (say 750) and try to stick to that goal. From that, I figure that even if I write only 750 words a day, it will take me about two days, more or less, to finish a post. If, however, writing is going well, or a dialogue is just flowing, I find that I can write about a post an hour. I try to leave myself a day or two to reconsider what I've put in a post--the plot development and character interaction, mostly--then put it up somewhere between the first- and second-draft stages.

17. Midnight_Jedi

Midnight_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 11, 2003
    I usually take about three or four hours to get the song I am using picked out, my ideas sorted and then finally just typing it all. Anyone that's read my latest story (Shamless Plug: A link to "Fire Lights" is in my bio!) will know I took about two months to get the latest post up. I sincerely hate writer's block more then anything in the entire world!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.