main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How long have you been playing?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: CCG, TCG, and Boardgames' started by Bib Fortuna Twi'lek, Jan 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigPoppaJabba

BigPoppaJabba Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2001
    Whoa Bib, don't go callin' the WOTC game "Young Jedi with Dice" when it is clearly "Jedi Knights with Dice". People around here get mighty offended when you call it "Young Jedi with Dice"

:D

2. Teknobabel

Teknobabel Jedi Master star 5

Jun 4, 2000
    True enough

If the new (but not improved) game had some semblance of aiming for fan's hearts rather than fan's pockets i may be interested, but no i won't be collecting the new game (although some folk in wotc may prefer to use the term "buying the new game" )

3. Kenix Kil

Kenix Kil Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 7, 2000
    Hey have any of you played X-men? If so you could tell that calling this Young Jedi with dice is wrong. Elements of many of Wizards games are in this one mainly because it is proven gameplay. I understand that you are mad becuase the game you invested money into the CCG but that is part of a risk. Wizards did not go looking for the license it was dropped in its lap. Decipher, when they knew they were losing the license, put out a new game and the head of the company said the license was staying put. Sounds like a grab for money to me. Then take in the fact that Wizards tried to but out Decipher twice just to keep the CCG going. They tried to sane it. Dont blame Wizards for Decipher's shortcomings.

4. Teknobabel

Jun 4, 2000
    Saying that wizards had it dropped in their laps is an interesting argument, given that it was development for over a year,

They must have been damn lucky to have the license dropped in their laps then, before they started development, mustn't they?

And since Richard Garfield volunteered to create the new tcg, they must have been real lucky that he had some free time just when the license was dropped in their laps

And since Michael Kent said that wotc started talks with lucas licensing about a tcg deal, they must have been thinking about getting a few lottery tickets, cos when they walked into that first meeting, and it got dropped into their laps, they must have been off the moon thinking about their luck

Something like "Just when we want the star wars card game license, Amazing, there was one available! How about that, we didn't see that coming!"

Sarcasm, the lowest form of wit
    Also the lowest form of argument as well

Thanks for coming

5. Achtung_Bubba

Achtung_Bubba Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 9, 2001
    Teknobabel:

I agree that WotC probably had to work really hard to convince Lucas Licensing to give them the contract. Fan club or otherwise, that's STILL transferring the license from a proven success to an unknown game.

What WotC had going for it was the fact that the game can be easily marketed through the Insider and SW Gamer. But they still needed to convince the Suits that the game was a good one, one that would sell well.

The fact that they convinced the Suits means that maybe - just maybe - they have a game worth looking at.

And while I agree with you on that point, I don't see how WotC is NOT "aiming for fan's hearts rather than fan's pockets."

Poor rules or not, the game is reasonably priced, is so designed that it *should* be easy to find main characters and rares, and limits its REALLY rare cards to holographic variants of easier-to-find cards.

(That is, the REALLY rares are valuable in terms of collecting, not in terms of gameplay.)

So, I don't see where your complaint is coming from.

6. Teknobabel

Jun 4, 2000
    I know all that

Your argument that the game can be easily marketed through the fan club and sw insider magazine doesn't hold much ground with all australians, when you factor in two little things.

1) Australians are unable to join the fan club, when wotc took over the fan club, they received a petition from aussie fans asking to be allowed to join, that got rejected

2) Australians can't subscribe to the insider magazine, or gamer. In sydney (the biggest city in australia) there is one place that i know of that imports them. Owing to airmail from america being bloody expensive, i'm not paying up to $30 aussie dollars for a copy.

So in australia, they can't expect much marketing for the game, given scrye is the only magazine about cards i've found (hell scrye only sells for $7.95AUD), and i've found three places in sydney that sell it (and that took me 2 years to find the third seller). Unless they place ads in the cinema, like they did with harry potter, they won't get much marketing out of that

So I can say a whole lot about wotc aiming for pockets rather than hearts, as i can't find any reason for them not to allow us to subscribe other than monetary reasons, ditto with the fan club.

So can you now see where my complaint is coming from?

7. Achtung_Bubba

Nov 9, 2001
    I did not know, and I apologize. In their defense, effectively marketing to Australia simply may not be cost-effective for WotC, to the point that doing so may be at a loss. To recognize that a company will not go out of its way to lose money may in fact be the same thing as saying they're "aiming for pockets rather than hearts" - but one should acknowledge that a business will simply NOT function any other way.

(And the fact remains: having the U.S. fan club company also run the CCG is a far better situation than having its greatest competitor run the CCG.)

And forgive my ignorance, but was Decipher really that much better in appealing to Australians?

8. Artie-Deco

Artie-Deco Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 23, 2001
    The fact that they convinced the Suits means that maybe - just maybe - they have a game worth looking at.

(Rolls eyes) Oh, come on A_B, you don't really believe Howard Roffman actually played the game before awarding WOTC the license, do you?? I certainly didn't get that impression reading his form letter response ... (read it here)

9. Achtung_Bubba

Nov 9, 2001
    Played the game? Maybe not, but that's not what I meant.

I didn't mean that the Suits played the game. I meant that WotC created a potentially good game and made a very good presentation (probably multiple presentations) to convince the suits of that fact.

If the letter can be taken at face value, they took nine months to make their decision - and they probably had some idea what kind of game was being developed.

10. Teknobabel

Jun 4, 2000
    Well as far as decipher being good at marketing, i'd have to say bloody great

Why?

The local tourney director rang me one day before every tourney for a year and a half after i'd stopped going due to work commitments. For both star wars and star trek

I'd like to see wotc top that

11. whizzy

whizzy Jedi Youngling

Feb 28, 2002
    i have been playing for about 2 months and i only need about 60 to complete both dark and light sides i have over 1200 doubles

12. BigPoppaJabba

BigPoppaJabba Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2001
    YAY! We're back on topic!

13. Masterlucas

Masterlucas Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 28, 2002
    I've been playing since the beginning, have every card execpt all tourney foils. Started playing tourneys between Dagobah and CC. I love the game and was deeply saddened by Decipher losing the license.

I do plan on trying the new game, (I certainly don't expect it to hold a candle to SWCCG) but I'm a SW fan before a decipher fan. So if I want cards of Jango Fett and Anakin Skywalker, unfortunately I must go with WoTC, and hope its an entertaining game, for me it does not have to be either or.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.