main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How long is a year? It's official!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by ForceAlly, Nov 13, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ForceAlly

ForceAlly Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 4, 2001
    Bib's going to like this :)

Caption from today's Ask the Jedi Council:

"The standard measurements used in the galaxy are derived from the local measurements found on Coruscant. A standard day consists of 24 hours. There are five standard days in a standard week. There are seven standard weeks in a standard month. A standard year is 368 standard days long, which breaks down to ten standard months plus three "fete weeks" and three more holidays, all devoted to traditional celebrations, festivals and observances."

2. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Not that I didn't know all of that in the first place. :D

3. Genghis_the_Dead_12

Genghis_the_Dead_12 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 15, 2001
    ForceAlly...
    That's always been official. [face_plain]

All that happened is they answered a question for someone who doesn't have the SWRPG available.

Now, what would be useful is if they broke things down to the level of Galactic Standard Hours, Galactic Standard Seconds (and hopefully Galactic Standard Minutes).

Now, if they added minutes, that would be something new. As it is now, things are still as screwed up as they were before with time passing in the GFFA about 60 times faster than in our own galaxy. [face_plain]

4. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    Right, I knew this too. I don't believe we were debating this...

5. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    the question to ask them is, "What units makes up a galactic standard hour?"

6. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Well, we know the answer to that as well, Val. Officially, there's 60 Galactic Standard Seconds in a Galactic Standard Hour. [face_plain]

The question to ask is did WEG make a typographical error in stating that there's 60 Galactic Standard Seconds in a Galactic Standard Hour, and if so, what are the correct units.

Answering your question would most likely yield a conflicting situation. If they answer "60 Galactic Standard Minutes in a Galactic Standard Hour," without comment to supercede what currently exists, then we have both situations being "officical" and no more closer to knowing how to sort it out. [face_plain]

7. ForceAlly

ForceAlly Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 4, 2001
    Thanks for the notifies. I don't have the WEG rule books, so this is new to me [face_plain]

You can call it newbie's exicitement :p

PS. Does anyone know where I can find those WEG books on-line? Especially those adventure journals?

8. The Cat

The Cat Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 24, 2000
    eBay! You can find anything on there. I've even got a pair of Adventure Journals I'm considering selling. Not that I'm selling them here, mind you.

9. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Genghis is nutz.

I wonder what wallace has to say.

10. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    Genghis, you're so literal. :p

Yeah, let's hear Wallace say something.

11. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    So are you sturm, ;), :D.

12. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    I can be, that's true...but I actually ignore misprints! :D

13. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Ahh, but that all depends on what one, or lfl considers a misprint, or not ;).

I.E. A misprint is anything that wrongly prints the wrong information, either new, previously, or retroactivally declared.
    oppisite of is intended meaning, bad/wrong,
    "not" what was intended, etc.

So in some ways one could be literal about any kind of misprints, and still try to accept them in some way, :D.

14. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    I'm sorry to say this, but I no longer have any choice:

You are all geeks! :p :D

wk

15. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Val... :p :D
    Sturm... :p :D
    wild_karrde... :p :D

I hold that it's not up to us to determine what's been "misprinted." If something is wrong, it will be corrected. In the case of WEG's "60 GSS = 1 GSH" issue, it's survived a reprint and the information from the section which it occurs in was quoted nearly ver batim in the recent Jedi Council answer which ForceAlly quoted.

Like canon, it's not up to us to decide what's in error or not. If we start arbitrarily deciding what's an error, we'll get all sorts of craziness. For example, there's about 5 whole novels that I consider "misprints," which others may not. ;)

If LFL thinks it's an error worth noting, they'll note it. In this case, I guess either they accept it and/or didn't want to deal with it. One can't say they don't know about it.

16. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    LOL, w_k. ;)

17. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    W_K, as is W_K, ;).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.