main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How long should the blade be?

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by skyshark93, Jun 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skyshark93

skyshark93 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 3, 2002
    I'm building a lightsaber with a permanently attached blade. What I have so far is 4ft. hilt and blade all together, it looks and feels too long though, how long should I have it.
    Thanks!
    Later

2. darth_Boba

darth_Boba Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 28, 2002
    Lightsaber blades are traditionally 1 meter long.

3. skyshark93

Nov 3, 2002
    Is that blade alone or blade plus hilt?
    Thanks
    Later

4. darth_Boba

Aug 28, 2002
    Just the blade. The hilt is usually 24-30 centimeters.

5. skyshark93

Nov 3, 2002
    Thanks again! This really helps.
    Later

6. Headhunter0183

Headhunter0183 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 19, 2002
    Traditonaly,when a Samurai had a blade made for him it would be just barely long enough to touch the ground when standing straight and holding the sword at his side, tip down, and grasping the sword at the top of the grip.

This is the best length for dueling, as it is long enough to use, but not so long that it gets in the way or is unweildy.

But then a longer blade looks cooler!

7. Darkmood

Darkmood Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 15, 2004
    The blades I use in my sabers are 40" long, 36" out of the hilt. And I have never had a problem with them!

8. darth_Boba

Aug 28, 2002
    That's 0.9144 meters, so I wouldn't say there's much of a difference.

9. Darkmood

Darkmood Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 15, 2004
    Sorry, I didn't know what it was converted to meters. But that is good to know.
    Thanks!

10. Phayze

Phayze Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 23, 2004
    Most of my swords are about 36-40 inches long, but then I'm about 6' tall. I'd recommend a weapon with an overall length about equal to the distance between your bellybutton and the the floor. Not perfect, but it's an okay rule of thumb.

Really, though, it's all about what's comfortable for you. Yoda's lightsaber isn't 1 meter long, so there's no reason anyone else's should be if the want it shorter (or longer). ;)

11. Amanita

Amanita Jedi Youngling star 2

May 12, 2003
    I've settled on 36" overall for my blade lengths. With two or three inches stuffed into the hilt, that will mean a 33 or 34" blade. It's just slightly longer than my Katana, but shorter than my medieval longsword. I'm only 5'3, so a full meter long blade might be overdoing it.
    Also, I used the exact dimensions of polycarb tubing that Jedi Loreen suggested in her tutorial, and with the diffuser tubing in, the blade hardly "whips" at all.

12. The_awesome_jedi

The_awesome_jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

May 25, 2005
    Actually a samurai's blade length depended on personal pref and on what style of swordsmanship he used. What you said was very general. I have a really short blade on my saber because I like it that way. I can fight faster with it. Whatever feels comfortable for you. An average sized adult (5'7"-5'10" i think) should have a blde about a meter long.

13. MartyBrandt

MartyBrandt Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 15, 2004
    The "Stunt" sabers blades were exactly 36" from the "emitter"

-Marty

14. JedimasterMoon

JedimasterMoon Jedi Padawan star 4

May 4, 2005
    I really think it depends on the height of the person.

15. Ravn

Ravn Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 5, 2004
    Definitely depends on the height of the person. When it comes to lightsaber blades, size matters. lol

16. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    For WWII, katana were standardized with the blade at ~ 27.5 inches. Unfortunately, this ment a lot of older blades were cut down. (Vandalism in my opinion--defiling national treasures and family heirlooms).

Make what use of that information you wish.

17. theBluePhoenix

theBluePhoenix Jedi Master star 3

Jan 4, 2001
    Some say, "it's not the length of the blade that matters but how you use it."

18. Master_Arkus

Master_Arkus Jedi Youngling

Jul 4, 2005
    On this topic.....

Im thinking of making a double bladed saber. 40 inches on each side is far too long, plus a smaller amount on the shaft. In total with 40 inch blades in totals up to about 8-10 feet.

19. theBluePhoenix

theBluePhoenix Jedi Master star 3

Jan 4, 2001
    For a double bladed saber, why not use Maul?s as a guide for the length of the blades? Ray Park is 5?-9? and his lightsaber with both blades extended is a good bit taller than him. 8 feet, tip to tip sounds about right to me. About a 2 foot long hilt with 3 foot long blades equal 8 feet. Just my two cents.

20. Master_Arkus

Master_Arkus Jedi Youngling

Jul 4, 2005
    Alright.Thanks for your help

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.