main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How long until the existing SW filmed material is "vaulted"?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Kev Snowmane, May 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kev Snowmane

Kev Snowmane Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2013
    We know that Disney has a nasty habit of taking stuff out of print to "avoid flooding the market".

We also know that Disney doesn't give a crap about anything Star Wars except the stuff THEY are going to be doing going forward.

So, any predictions as to how long it will be before both Trilogies and all the CW stuff disappears into the infamous "vault" never to be seen again?

2. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Years, potentially. Fox holds the distribution rights to the first six films until 2020, and ANH in perpetuity.

I've often thought LFL's own film release schedules bore a fair amount of resemblance to Disney...for example, the only stuff you'll find in iTunes or Google Play before Disney bought LFL is The Clone Wars. The films see a release basically whenever there's a new format available to release them on, and it's usually a good few years after that format is available that a release is seen. Disney does the same thing, pretty much, with its own classics.

3. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    I'd imagine everything that is already produced and in stock in stores and warehouses will be it for sometime. We may see some re-release of the OT and PT leading up to the release of Episode VII, but, who knows.

The wait for proper Ewok film releases, Ewok animated series, and Droids animated series will probably sadly take longer....

4. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    Actually, I'd say they're big on the OT, but not so much about the PT. That's just my observation.

But when it comes to releases, I'm sure we'd get a re-release of the Saga every so often. Like it was said before, I don't expect it to change much from what we're used to.

5. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013
    I wouldn't say they're not big on the PT. Granted, they canceled Clone Wars and seemed to push for at least postponing the 3D re-releases of AOTC and ROTS, but you gotta remember they're going to get the rights to these movies in 2020, PT included. They're going to support and push all of the Star Wars they have because regardless it will make them money.

My sister took her family through Star Tours at Disneyland this past summer. It wasn't just stormtroopers and Darth Vader running around, but Padme and PT era Jedi as well.

Andy Wylde and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  6. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    Firstly, they only Vault their animated features.

Secondly, it's a complete mistruth that "we also know that Disney doesn't give a crap about anything Star Wars."

Andy Wylde and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  7. Kev Snowmane

Kev Snowmane Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2013
    Finish the quote, Bith...

And they don't. Clone Wars = cancelled. LATV series = never started. DK and Del licenses = pulled. Lucasarts = closed. 3D releases of the original films = cancelled.

Disney has made it's intentions pretty clear: "if it ain't 'new' SW (the stuff WE make) don't bother us..."

8. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    I think whether or not Disney re-licenses projects to other companies remains to be seen. They just bought the rights - it's up to them now who gets to do what. This is a transitional phase, no? In the long run you may be 100% right, but as of now there's no way to know if your statement is true.

9. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    If GL withholding the OOT was World War I, Disney withholding the movies altogether will be World War II.

I haven't heard that anywhere.

10. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    I'd say they'll put them in the "vault" at the same point they put Iron Man 1 and 2, Thor, Captain America, The Avengers, Pirates Of The Caribbean, The Nightmare Before Christmas, and John Carter in the vault. /s

As this is basically turning into another thread to complain about Disney in and we already have one of those, I'm locking this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.