main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How long until we can no longer suspend disbelief?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by EmeraldBlade, Aug 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EmeraldBlade

EmeraldBlade Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 19, 2008
    Take Anakin's transformation;

Even today, on Planet Earth, we can perform hand transplants. Of course, much work has to be done, though this is no doubt expected in the real world.

But, in a society that has achieved Hyper-Drive? Hmp.

Within the next few years I have little doubt that decently functioning "artificial" limbs will be, not only adequate, but superior.

Discuss.

2. DarthDragon164

DarthDragon164 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to say. At first, it seems like you are saying that Anakin should have been given transplanted limbs, but then you seem to flip flop and say that prostetics are superior to transplanted ones.

Can you clarify?

3. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    I'm a little confused as well. Basically I just keep everything in the perspective that it occurred a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away. ;)

4. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    The word 'anachronism' may avail the opening post.

5. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    This is kinda like one of those "SW tech vs real World tech" topics.

6. Jovieve

Jovieve Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2002
    Well, the only way we can reconnect limbs now (which I think what the OP is talking about and not transplants) is if the damage isn't severe and they get to it quickly or the limb is put on ice until they can. If the damage is bad, then the reconnect won't take. I'm not sure what a lightsaber searing would do to nerve endings. It would certainly seal off blood supplies, and kill bone tissue. Sounds like Anakin would have needed a lot of work to try to save his limb.

Who knows if such medical facilities were available on the clone cruisers and not just triage centers to stabilize troopers until they could get to a real facility.

I know the EU book Wild Space deals with the immediate aftermath of the Geonosis Dooku fight and in that book, the Jedi took Anakin (and Obi-Wan) all the way back to Coruscant for treatment. So that might have something to do with it.

7. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    We will always be able to suspend disbelief so long as we are bound to Earth. Present depictions of the future or of future technology, such as a 'society with hyperdrive', can rely upon or be based upon solely those objects and principles that presently avail themselves for depiction. What the future will actually turn out to be, if the species / life-form / sentient matrix formerly known as homo sapiens ever go so far as to control the energy output of the 3-million solar mass black hole at the center of the Milky Way, is so entirely outside our conception, and _certainly_ outside of the ordinary technological, physical, chemical, computational, and engineering vernacular of Joe Summer Movie as to be vanishingly irrelevant to a good yarn. And chopped off limbs, when done judiciously with a dash of "NOOOOOO!!!", or alternatively, "AHGGHH!!!", make good yarn. The likelihood that a Kardashev III would have completely uploadable/downloadable/rewritable (Daft Punk) sentiences and bodies (bio, mech, cyborg), as per the Kurzweil Singularity, does not assist Joe Summer Movie to feel the present absence of said limb. We, the ordinary audience, NEED to know and see it is NOT there, and has been nominally replaced with a fitting symbol of expedience, a tiny slice or partition of the Dark Side. Derrida's idea here is erasure (sous rature) or strikethrough. The limb that is an ex-limb, that has passed on, that is no more, that has ceased to be, is replaced by an imposter that better get under our skin. It is meant (auteur) to be disturbing and an ordinary human (autonomous) ought to find it disturbing.

8. MissPadme

MissPadme Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 9, 1998
    I figure by the time it's totally obsolete, 1) I'll probably be taking a dirt nap and 2) once the movies fall into public domain, they will be remade over and over with "updated" tech. Trust me, the story is flexible enough for it to happen.

--MissPadme

9. EmeraldBlade

Apr 19, 2008
    I'm sorry about this mess. I was not very clear.

I'll get to the point:

It will not be long until our own technology surpasses technology in the GFFA. I'm thinking specifically of medical science.

I see this as a problem considering that Darth Vader has to walk around in a life-support suit.

See what I mean now?

10. EmeraldBlade

Apr 19, 2008
    No.

Transplants are possible.

They just suck.

For now...

11. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Vader's problems go way, way beyond what even near-term medical technology can honestly fix.

The man's lungs are dead. Not asthmatic, not shot through with tumors. They're dead flesh that doesn't work at all. The suit basically breathes for him, and does so so well that he can function more or less normally in society. Also, he's got nerve replacements in his spinal column. That's beyond what we can do now or even ten or twenty years from now.

Vader's medical technology, outside of the limbs, is way beyond ours.

12. EmeraldBlade

Apr 19, 2008
    I have no doubt that it is beyond our own technology, but it is not far enough beyond it. Granted, this is nobodies fault, but we are talking about a Galaxy with hyper-drive technology.

Where will our own medical science be in 100 years?

I think many would be shocked.

13. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

Discuss what? What exactly are you trying to say?

14. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    Hmmm, I havent seen anything in the way of Bacta tank research. :rolleyes:

15. EmeraldBlade

Apr 19, 2008
    It is the disparity between medical science in the GFFA and the rest of its technology. This is my issue.

By the time we have anything like hyperdrive, bacta will be an old relic of primitive medical science.

16. EmeraldBlade

Apr 19, 2008
    Scroll up a little. I tried to make it a little more clear.

If I'm still making no sense, then forget this thread.

In hindsight, it was obviously a waste of time.

17. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Just because one can create faster than light travel, that bends the laws of physics like in "Star Wars" and "Star Trek", does not mean that medicial science it be or is superior. It's all based on what is done now in the realm of fiction. Yes, it will be different in the years to come. This is evident when you watch "Star Trek" and compare the technology to "Star Trek: The Next Generation" and even in the six films with the original characters. That doesn't mean that one should change their suspension of disbelief, based on what we can do now and possibly in the future.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.