main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT How long was Luke on Dagobah?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Vialco, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    The problem with that comparison, nobody in Empire is saying that they can't go to the bathroom. They are saying, directly and clearly, that they can't jump to hyperspace.

2. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013

Actually, they show them arrive at Bespin and ask for help with the hyperdrive. The movie maintains a consistent logic. . The evidence is not on your side, I'm afraid. The movie maintains a consistent narrative, one that you would have me ignore. I see no reason to do that. You don't make a strong enough case to convince me to ignore the facts presented in the film.

3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It's like a person who's got their engine badly damaged, jump-started it- limped to the nearest garage, and is now asking for help, to fix it properly.

rumsmuggler likes this.
  4. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    This is hilarious.

5. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    How so?

Don't be passive aggressive, if you have something to say, say it.

6. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    But that isn't what the movie shows us, is it?

7. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    The futility of arguing back and forth with a person so stuck on the films that they refuse to see sensible options because they come from a book or two. The novels aren't on the level with the films, but they are canon none the less.

8. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Now during the last thread of this type- there were some valid issues with the "backup hyperdrive" issue- specifically the question of if they have it, why aren't they using it when the main one fails (until after they detach from the Avenger)- and that one is a bit tricky to answer.

It requires that the backup hyperdrive take a very long time to bring online- or requires some assembly.

I wondered if Han might have cannibalized it in the past to fix the main one- and now cannibalizes the main hyperdrive to reactivate the backup one- since no matter how hard he tried to fix it, he couldn't correctly identify which specific part of the main one was malfunctioning.

9. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    Changing the narrative of a movie isn't sensible.

10. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    No personal attacks. -Darth Boba

11. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    No personal attacks. -Darth Boba

12. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    If you say so. We all know what the movie is saying. Some of us are going with what the movie doesn't say. There is plenty of interpretation to go around. It may not be sensible to you, but being sensible all the time is overrated.

13. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    And that's fine, I'm not telling you how to look at the movie. But, what I am saying is that it these types of things can't be held up as proof.

14. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    And you brought the word sensible into this, so apparently you're making my argument for me.

15. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    If that's what you want to believe, go right ahead. I wasn't really arguing to begin with. I was having a fun exchange of ideas, but it's hard for some to tell the difference. ;)
    We all know what sensible means so you can keep your snark to yourself.

16. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I think this thread has pretty much run its course. We've got an answer, even if it's an EU answer (1 month, according to Chee FAQs) and at the moment we're just arguing over why it took such a short time.

17. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013

You don't get to play it that way.

This is what you had to say. The implication is clear, that I am "stuck" and cannot see sensible alternatives. If you are going to make that charge, stand by it. These are your words.

18. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    I am well aware of what I said bud. If you aren't "stuck", then you have nothing to be concerned about.
    Also, I get to play it anyway I want, but all of this is way off topic so it makes no difference.

19. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    It's not off topic,that post had a clear meaning. that my position is "stuck", and that the alternative is "sensible".

20. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    Off topic to the thread bud, not to our joust. ;)

21. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013

It's not off topic, when you characterize one position as stuck and one as sensible, that is not off topic. That is a position. It's not unfair for me to say that you should stand by that

22. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    Never said it was fair or unfair. If you want to continue a pointless argument, you can continue on your own because I'm tired of it and i have taxes to work on. Have a nice day.

23. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    We're operating from the assumption that Star Wars follows the laws of physics except where contradicted- that the galaxy's basically like our own- that the speed of light's the same as that in our own universe, and so on.

Using these assumptions "Falcon travels from one system to the next, in a month or so, at less than the speed of light" becomes highly implausible

Now if you feel that one or more of those assumptions are false- that's up to you. Which of those assumptions do you think makes most sense to remove in the context of the movie?

Possibilities I can think of:

Falcon is not travelling from one system to another- Bespin is in the Anoat system
    The speed of light in the SW universe is vastly faster than in hours. As a result, the Falcon can travel that fast without entering hyperspace
    Star systems in the Star Wars universe are vastly closer together than in ours.

24. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Whoa, this got ugly.

1. Sitting back and saying "if it ain't in the film it didn't happen" is just not thinking. I have no problem with one star being light weeks or months away, I have no problem with the Falcon using time dilation so their trip seems to take a week at lightspeed while the rest of the galaxy experiences a month or two. But all large universes are supported by material that does not always get mentioned. There is not one mention of repulsorlift, but we accept it as part of Star Wars. There is no mention in the films that SD's are a mile long, but we accept that in the extra literature. There is nothing wrong with a backup hyperdrive that is slower.

25. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    That said- the "mile long" figure was corroborated, approximately, by comparisons of the Falcon to the Avenger in ESB.