main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST How Luke lost light saber got to Maz Kanata?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by mihaitzateo, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Dareth

Dareth Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 20, 2015

How do we know if Han knew who Rey was or wasn't? Maybe he brought her there because he knew what was going on or what could/would happen? Not everything is or has to be explained. Would I like it? Yes, then again I'd be ok with a 5 hour long SW movie. Most people wouldn't. Anyhow it seems you don't really care for the direction SW is headed, and for that I am sorry. It's truly a great time to be a SW fan!

2. Dagobah Dragonsnake

Dagobah Dragonsnake Jedi Master star 4

Feb 7, 2016
    Or ... Lor San Tekka knows the Solos and just happens to have the map and just happens to be on Jakku. BB8 just happens to be on Jakku and bumps into Rey while escaping with the map. The Falcon just happens to be on Jakku, Han and Chewie just happen to be in the neighborhood when Rey and Finn escape. Han just happens to think Takodana and seeing Maz is the best thing to do. Maz just happens to have the Anakin / Luke lightsaber.

This is our story. It is the convergence of what is apparently unlikely coincidences. The unlikelihood of coincidences are in themselves part of the story. It is all part of some yet unknown backstory, and the Force calling to Rey. "it is the Force, it's calling to you ... " Though some do not like invoking "it's the Force" into everything, it is central to TFA. Yes all these coincidences seem unlikely ... but they are not simply coincidences.

Storm_Cloud, Ricardo Funes and Sh3ppy like this.
  3. SgtTimBob

SgtTimBob Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 5, 2014
    Precisely. To me, aside from the fact that there's clearly a lot of hidden stuff going on in the background of the plot that has yet to be revealed, it was heavily implied that there was some greater will guiding the events that took place. It actually reminds me of J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings, when Gandalf is suggesting to Frodo that it was no accident that Bilbo happened to find the Ring, that there was another external force (in that case, basically God) at work.

darklordoftech and Sarge like this.
  4. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    From the ESB screenplay:

LUKE Ben. Leia!

There is an ominous cracking sound from the base of the
    weather vane and a piece breaks off, falling into the clouds far below.

darklordoftech and Ezon Pin like this.
  5. SeventySeven

SeventySeven Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 18, 2002
    Two things bug me about this - but whatever I will move on.

Firstly is the general "ah whatever - will of the force / act of god / wait for the next movie - how about this" pass that this gets, whereas anything that didn't quite seam believable that Lucas did it's "OMG do you actually watch your own movies --- ?"

Secondly and one that has me scratching my head most, is why TFA seams to have made every effort to ignore ROTJ. If we are talking about significance, Luke's ROTJ sabre is the one that helped bring down the Empire, the one that represented his 'coming of age' as a true Jedi. In a way the loss of what he was using in ESB was a good thing. It turns out his father was Vader, this was not after all the untainted weapon of a noble warrior, ultimately it was made as disposable as his hand in a nasty act of almost filicide. It's brutal tossing aside represents the very horrific way Obi-Wans romantic story suddenly becomes a nightmare of deceit and failure.

That original opening to me - thank god it was cut - just seamed another way to short circuit everything to avoid all the other films JJ was not so kean on.
    Straight from ESB to TFA do not pass ROTJ.

6. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015

Ohhh I hate it when people pass off that criticism.

7. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    yes the script says pieces of the vane break off but it seems the effects guys had something else in mind. no vane debris would look like that or be spinning that way.

8. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    The reason they wanted the Bespin saber and not the Endor saber is probably two-fold (and not JJ dissing ROTJ). Firstly, Luke may well still have the Endor saber. And secondly, the Bespin saber is used by both Luke and Anakin, giving it more of a sense of legacy given how Vader's shadow is cast over the story.

9. Storm_Cloud

Storm_Cloud Jedi Master star 3

Jan 13, 2016
    The only thing that I am convinced will definitely happen in Ep 8 is that Kylo Ren will get the "Vader" sabre

10. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Also, it's the coolest saber EVAH!

Satipo likes this.
  11. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    omg. the red vader saber disintegrated. the blue saber is vader's saber.

12. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012

Go away, George!

13. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    Seriously, what else should it be?

You are aware that there is a noticable time difference between Luke loosing his hand and lightsaber and Luke's decision to make his "leap of faith".

Were hand and lightsaber suspended in mid-air until Luke arrived?

By that time hand and lightsaber had already flown elsewhere.

darklordoftech and Ezon Pin like this.
  14. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    if those vents all empty at the bottom it makes perfect sense.

15. Dagobah Dragonsnake

Feb 7, 2016
    There is nothing next to Luke when he stops sliding and before the chute opens and he falls and grabs the protrusion.

16. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    if those vents all empty at the bottom it makes perfect sense.

17. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    In my headcanon, it was Luke's commlink that fell. That's why the only way he could call for help was via telepathy.

18. Darth Pig

Darth Pig Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 21, 2016
    A simple one-liner would not make the movie 5 hours.

Poor screen-writing and development of the script is just that.

19. SeventySeven

SeventySeven Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 18, 2002
    Sure, but that does not change the fact that they had better come up with something to explain it's re-appearance properly.

Ezon Pin likes this.
  20. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    In a fictional world already overflowing with convenient coincidences, I don't find it too much of a stretch to believe that a force-sensitive pirate could find a way to get her hands on a historically valuable artifact. If they elaborate on it eventually, great. If not, no big deal. The "how" probably isn't really relevant to larger story.

Sarge and Dagobah Dragonsnake like this.
  21. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    Maz got it off of the Cloud City Craigslist. Ugnaughts knew it was worth something, but seeing one of them running around with a lightsaber during Imperial occupation would have meant certain death for all of them. Maz bought it, no questions asked, and figured that the rightful owner would eventually come around or Antiques Roadshow would come to Takodana and she could find someone interested in buying it from her then.

22. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    For some horrible cosmic reason... this is literally the first time I have thought about this: There is no discernible "bottom" to the shaft Luke is falling down in the center of Cloud City. It is pitch black down there. Meanwhile, it is a bright, colorful, rather beautiful evening outside. There is certainly creative room to say that the shaft is just... that... long... but, honestly, for the first time in 35 years I am realizing there may be a floor at the bottom of that enormous pit. How have I never even considered that there is a bottom to that drop, when there is a complete absence of light down there?

[​IMG][​IMG]

23. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    [​IMG]

To put things a bit into perspective. In the center of Cloud City is the big shaft, its main purpose is to channel air with the rare, anti-gravitational Tibanna gas into the corresponding processing facilities.

One could argue that impurities are automatically detected and "spit out", that would include the broken control weather vane window, Luke itself and his hand with the lightsaber.

Luke ended up at the bottom outside the main body of Cloud City. Even if the lightsaber got sucked out, too, it's still not certain whether Bespin is indeed a gas planet with no solid core. The old Marvel Comics had a planet below on which the Ugnaughts lived (and illustrated how debris from above was hitting a party below on the planet's surface). [face_dunno]

thejeditraitor likes this.
  24. Dagobah Dragonsnake

Feb 7, 2016
    For me there is enough evidence that the falling object we saw is not the hand and lightsaber that we neither can confirm or deny the lightsaber fell out of Cloud City. We do not know if the portal that opened to dump Luke out is weight sensitive, optical sensitive or sonically sensitive. We do not know if anything can get stuck in the chutes. The chutes obviously curve, so Luke is gently slowed down and stops. So the weight of an object as well as other things affecting resistance factors in.

So, there is as good a chance the lightsaber did not fall to Bespin. I am sure during the ESB no one was thinking much about this. The whole point in the OT was Luke constructing a new saber on his own which became a point of progress for ROTJ (the deleted scene of Luke putting finishing touches on the new lightsaber on Tatooine before C3PO and R2 go to Jabba's palace underlay this point).

The storytellers have an abundant amount of freedom to contrive a discovery of the blue saber on Cloud City without getting into the debate about the how it possibly could be located on Bespin.

darklordoftech likes this.
  25. Dareth

Dareth Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 20, 2015

Then people would have complained about a one liner and being done with it, and you know that as well as I do. People complain to complain. Let you or me make SW movie the way WE *think* it should be and I bet a lot of people will hate/complain about it. No matter what they do, how they do it or when it comes up in the movie, someone will always find something to cry about. I hate to say it but that's just society today in general. Again don't act as if a one and done one liner would have really made it any better, with the things I have seen people here get upset about I know they would have cried about that as well.

Sarge and Satipo like this.