main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST How Luke lost light saber got to Maz Kanata?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by mihaitzateo, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Dareth

Dareth Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 20, 2015

Just like there were a lot of hidden things in the OT. Thing is we didn't know more were coming, we didn't have the internet to feed us spoilers and stuff. This like the PT though we know we are getting three (maybe more) so the stuff they don't explain now might come up in later movies. But the I want to know it all now crowd is up in arms about (to me anyhow) small things like this. So they wanna know it all before all the movies are out, yet the idea of the movies is being surprised and shocked depending on what we find out. I know these are small things to us now, but maybe they do have a bigger meaning and they will *air* it all out over the next two movies?

2. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    And who says they won't?

Maz's line, to me, implies we will find that out that later, hence the line. If they MSW stuff was filmed, we know they know where it came from. We know they decided to hold back on certain reveals and info to keep the focus on the Kylo / Han stuff.

3. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    Along with my post on this earlier, the other points to remember are:

Luke's lightsaber had to be somewhere
    For the purposes of a story that DOES, like it or not, involve destiny, that somewhere was in the path of someone destined to become important to galactic history
    The person is possession of it is suitably mysterious

4. Homergreg

Homergreg Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 31, 2015
    My silly theory FWIW (I'm thinking Rian Johnson will do a much better job than I can)....

Maybe Vader himself retrieved it from either the bowels of Cloud City (if you feel the saber fell inside the city), or he Force pulled it back from the depths of Bespin (if you feel it fell outside the city) shortly after Luke was rescued. Kyber crystals are not easy to come by, and why would he just let one be lost?

Either way, maybe Vader had kept it at his own Castle, or gave it to the Emperor to keep in his Palace, safely away from Luke until he was turned to the dark side when he would have presented it back to Luke. Then after the events of Return of The Jedi, the castle was looted and the Saber was taken as a prize.

As Kylo Ren was searching for relics of the Empire, he found out that the saber existed, and sent his minions looking for this relic, but the Church of the Force, realizing the importance of the relic, found the saber first, and hid it from Kylo with one of their ancient members, Maz.

JediMatteus and Sarge like this.
  5. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    Not too silly, IMHO. Could Vader knew that Luke would be constructing a lightsaber of its own? Did he expect another fight with Luke in the future?

Possible he had somebody assigned to retrieve it, so that he could have tossed it to Luke during their next encounter, just in case.

Homergreg likes this.
  6. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I really like the idea that Kylo found it, and Maz stole it from him, or had it stolen. He's obsessed with Vader artifacts, she runs a watering hole for criminals. It fits with both of their characters.

7. The Vanguard

The Vanguard Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2016
    The lightsaber was actually a transformer form Cybertron. Once it realized it was in a free fall, it's mechanized wings/hyper-engine materialized and it jetted off to Maz' front porch.\

Too far? lol

8. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Yeah, it does. It's hard to know what was filmed, what the context of what that info all was, or whether any cut elements remain part of the official back story. Were those elements dropped entirely, revised to something else? Or have they been saved for episode 8? The info was correct in other areas. But equally, it's hard to pin down the context of the vision because we don't know when Rey is actually present vs the past. Remember all the Clan Leader/ Fat Cat stuff? It was all to do with that.

9. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I'd really love a backstory of KyIo hunting down Vader stuff. I don't care if it's a book, comic, or in a film, just gimme.

Sarge likes this.
  10. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    It's a piece of the weathervane...if it wasn't, then you would have saw the hand and saber at the bottom of the "air shaft" before he landed on the trap door before being dropped through it.

No point in keeping the lights on at the lower levels, I guess. ;)

11. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    there's more than one vent that opens to the bottom. they're sucking the excess gas/air/debris out and releasing it. multiple collection vents can open at once releasing their contents.

the red port luke gets sucked into at 14 seconds is one of many. they all empty out at the bottom. his hand and saber went into another port. then all ports dumped together.

12. LORD_BINX

LORD_BINX Jedi Master star 1

Apr 20, 2005
    Another thing we haven't considered (unless it was touched on in one of the canon books) is that the camera never allows us to see what's at the bottom of that pit on cloud city where the saber fell after vader cut off luke's hand. As far as we know, there could be a floor down there that's part of that facility instead of an opening leading to the planet. It could have just hit the floor and vader could have had his stormtroopers to retrieve it later.

Edit: I just noticed that someone already mentioned this.

darklordoftech likes this.
  13. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I like the "ugnaughts found it" theory the best.

mihaitzateo and darklordoftech like this.
  14. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Still called a gas giant in the newcanon, apparently.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Bespin

That ended up being resolved as "It was another station like Cloud City, with an artificial surface ecosystem".

15. L110

L110 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2014
    That´s a story for another time.

16. Darth-Horax

Darth-Horax Force Ghost star 6

Aug 22, 2001
    I'd say it was found at the Cloud City Pawn shop. Mystery solved.

17. Dagobah Dragonsnake

Dagobah Dragonsnake Jedi Master star 4

Feb 7, 2016
    I am writing the backstory of Luke's lightsaber. I have arguments and speculation and a lot of past material about "what fell" and the original (if any ) intention when ESB was developed. I worry about whether the saber and hand fell to Bespin or not ... for about thirty seconds. I take a slug of coffee, and write The hand and saber fell into the abyss. Due to size and weight, it got stuck in the chute, and did not make it to any drop opening. I sit back, stretch, and begin thinking about who found it and why they were there.

18. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    Hmmm...where does the oxygen they breathe in Cloud City come from?

19. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Possibly this particular gas giant had an exceptionally high atmosphere concentration of oxygen and nitrogen when it was formed. A "habitable layer" with an ecosystem, in short.

20. LORD_BINX

LORD_BINX Jedi Master star 1

Apr 20, 2005
    I think the discussion gets more interesting when the gushers, the complainers, and the satisfied viewers get together and duke it out over a topic in a thread (civilly, of course). It's basically just a display of passion for the material. It only becomes a tear fest when the complainers make their complaints, and the opposing viewers complain about the complainers.

21. Dareth

Dareth Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 20, 2015

Oh the old its your fault I am mad that you are mad that I am mad...... Got it.

22. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    It doesn't resemble a lightsaber or hand anymore than it resembles a piece of the vane

23. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I can just see him sitting at his computer watching Darth Vader items on ebay trying to outbid at the last second and going mental when he loses out .

wasn't there a Lego cartoon where some mysterious character was collecting Vader items ? or have I imagined that ?

Valiowk likes this.
  24. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    When Maz says that how she got the saber is "a good story, for another time," she might as well have turned and winked at the camera/audience, it was that blatant. I'm still on the fence as to whether or not they'll reveal that in the films, or save it for a future side project. But given that Rey is now with Luke, the film made a point of drawing attention to it, and then not giving an answer, and Maz is confirmed to be in the next film, I think that it's certainly possible that we'll get an answer in either VIII or IX.

We'll see.

25. Anzalone Rathryon

Anzalone Rathryon Jedi Youngling

Apr 14, 2016
    All we know for certain at this point, according to the TFA Visual Dictionary is that "someone salvaged it from the city's industrial depths."

Maybe this theory is far fetched, but I've considered the possibility that the saber somehow came back into the possession of Luke before eventually making it's way to Maz. Think about this. Kylo Ren was familiar enough with Anakin's saber that he recognized it fairly immediately. This obviously implies that he had somehow seen it previously. Possibly in person. Perhaps during his training with Luke's new Jedi Order, Luke passed it down to Kylo, seeing as it belonged to his grandfather. The same way that Obi-Wan passed it down to Luke, as it belonged to his father. It goes without saying that he somehow must have lost it sometime prior to, or shortly after turning against the Order.

I think this theory would explain to us two things. 1). How Kylo so quickly recognized the saber, as well as the "That lightsaber, it belongs to me!" line. And 2). Why Kylo's personal crossguard saber is so crappily made. Because his first lightsaber was given to him, and he was never taught how to properly build one.

How Luke managed to get it back, or how Maz got her hands on it, I honestly have no clue, but I thought I'd throw this out there.