main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:WA How many are interested in the EU Books?

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Ghost-of-Spider, Mar 3, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghost-of-Spider

Ghost-of-Spider Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 30, 2000
    Not sure about the new people I know a few others are. Let me know and with incorrect spelling and bad punctuation(on my part) we can discuss the other side of the SW galaxy.

2. Grizzly

Grizzly Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2000
    umm.. I may have mentioned the library once or twice... :)

3. soneil

soneil Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    I'm kinda semi-interested. I've read some EU stuff and liked a lot of it. I'm a bit wary about some of it though.

4. Jedi_Nat

Jedi_Nat Jedi Master star 5

Nov 28, 2000
    I do have most of the EU books at home, and was in the process ofn reading them all in order. I got a little peeved off on the other board when Grizzly was dropping spoilers on the NJO books!!! I've sort have dropped off from reading them and can't see myself picking up one of the books in the near future.

5. SoulKrusher

SoulKrusher Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 25, 2000
    I did read them at one stage, still have my collection as well but due to so much work I just don't have the time to sit down and read a good book. Some of them would make films as well.

6. Ghost-of-Spider

Nov 30, 2000
    Most that have replied I already had marked down, how about you new guys :)

7. Ghost_of_Caesar

Ghost_of_Caesar Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    You mean meesa, your highness?

8. Ghost-of-Spider

Nov 30, 2000
    Yeah even you---but that will be your "Royal Highness" spoken on bended knees of course ;)

9. Chiron_au

Chiron_au Jedi Youngling

Feb 17, 2001
    My pitiful bookshelf is an altar of sacrifice to SWEU....

I thank Uncle George, Bantam & Del Rey everyday that they produce (usually) paraphenalia of dubious quality and stamp it w/ the SW logo so that I can endure 2 months waiting for it to arrive at my book store....and then some

(free plug to The Comic book shop in Hay Street - cheapest place for EU stuff in Aust)

On the other hand without EU , there probably would be no prequels and the best we could hope for is a Foxtel marathon of the Droids cartoon series once a decade

so we all should be thankful >:)

10. Rogue 11

Rogue 11 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 8, 1999
    I love the EU. I have all the books and started collecting the comics last year.

11. Ghost-of-Spider

Nov 30, 2000
    Hello again 11,
    You and I had a bit of back and forward conversation last time on the old board-look forward to it again :)
    PS: first chapter of the new book is up at random house.
    A few weeks till release-I'll post a thread which will be user-friendly)

12. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    Well I've been reading Grizzly's Thrawn trilogy comics. Pretty good. They remind me why I liked Zahn's books.

13. Ghost-of-Spider

Nov 30, 2000
    Have to admit I'm not a comic book person, still feel shafted that the marriage of..........(some people on the board don't know) was by comic strip not a book.

PS: How much money is the original 4 part ROTJ comic books in mint condition worth??

14. Ethane

Ethane Jedi Youngling

Feb 20, 2001
    This is probably going to sound a little dense, but I am not sure what you are talking about. Are these Star Wars books like that Han Solo one that was brought out what seems like a millenia ago, or are they episode five books, not too sure. Sorry. I would like it if someone could clarify for me.

15. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    I'm not sure how much you know about it but there's been a huge amount of books written that are set after Return of the Jedi. More recently a few set around the time of The Phantom Menace have also been written. These non-movie books and comics are collectively referred to as Expanded Universe or EU.
    Some people like Spider are right into the EU. Some people don't like it and only follow the films. Personally I like a lot of the EU novels I've read and I think some of them aren't as good. I'd kinda avoided them until a couple of years ago when Sith Magician lent me some. I thought the ones he lent me were very good.
    If you're interested in them, I think the Thrawn trilogy by Timothy Zahn are a great place to start. They were the first ones to come out and they're set about 5 years after the movies. "Heir to the Empire" is the first in the trilogy.

16. Grizzly

Grizzly Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2000
    The EU currently stands at about 100 books, aimed at various aged readers. There is a teenage based Young Jedi Knights series of about 12 books, and a young readers series of the Junior Jedi Knights of about 6 books.
    The book series starts with the Jedi Apprentice series which is about ObiWan and his training, and carries right on thru to the current New Jedi Order series set about 20 yrs after RotJ.
    As for the comic series, that starts about 5000 yrs before ANH, with some of the comic elements being woven into post RotJ books, which is kinda cool for the continuity.There are also quite a few of the books converted to comic format, with other comics filling in spaces in the storyline.

17. Ghost_of_Caesar

Ghost_of_Caesar Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    I feel absolutely shafted by the price of the new Darth Maul novel Shadow Hunter. I flat out refuse to pay $45 for a book about a two bit minor character in a 2nd rate film. I'd consider it if the paperback comes out, even if it means breaking the chain I have of 1st edition hardcovers.

18. Ghost-of-Spider

Nov 30, 2000
    I guess I should explain that my EU interest is only in books that deal after ROTJ.
    As Soneil explained, some a good-others just should not have been written.
    However reading is like watching movies, what one person loves another may hate-if possible check your local library if they have copies, or ask your fellow OR members if you can read theirs.

PS-Ethane no question is dense, the whole reason the board is here is to answer stuff, hope these posts have helped.

19. Sith Magician

Sith Magician Jedi Master star 5

Sep 14, 1999
    Some of them make great kindling [face_devil]

20. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    According to Crapisode I, they also have other uses!

21. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    I'm interested in some of the EU stuff but some of it I'm not sure about :)

22. Aztek

Aztek Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2001
    I'm interested in EU, my colection of novels currently stands at 52. once I finsh reading all the other books in my little library and I get back into reading the SW novels from the start I will buy whatever I am missing to fill in my collection.

23. Aztek

Aztek Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2001
    I was in a second hand bookshop today and found NJO Conquest and Rouge Planet, both in paperback for $11.00 each. The cover of one was a little bent in the corner, but other than that they where in good nick. I think it may be the same shop Soneil mentioned. Anyone interested ?

Sorry about the double post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.