main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC how many devices in your home are capable of playing netflix

Discussion in 'Community' started by hudzu, Nov 29, 2016.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I watch it on the TV in the living room or in my bedroom via Rokus or on my iPad while traveling, one son watches it on his phone, the other watches it on his iPad mini. We are set up to stream up to four devices at once.

Capability is higher than that as we also have a computer and an Xbox.

2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I have the option of running up to 4 simultaneously though, with the glorious 4K available
    a) when people shoot in 4K
    b) When I am bothered to get a 4K TV to see things in 4K
    c) When Australian internet joins the 21st century.

Violent Violet Menace and jp-30 like this.
  3. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    My Desktop
    A laptop
    A Samsung Galaxy Tablet
    A netbook
    A wii
    2 cell phones.

yeahh

4. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Yeah, I'm never going to watch 4K either. :p

5. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Applications require computers. A TV is a box. What are you talking about?

Anyway, I was referring to those special receivers you can buy to let your TV access Netflix.

6. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    That are capable: 12
    2 TVs
    3 Laptops
    2 desktops
    1 phone
    1 xbox
    3 Kindle Fires
    (This doesn't include the old laptops that don't get used)

That actual do on a decent basis: 4
    2 TVs
    2 laptops

7. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Nope, not buying it.

8. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I have bought nothing to enable TV or blu-ray player to access Netflix. They do this of their own volition, Wocky.

I'd have thought the idea of smart technology would spark a sense of kindred spirit in you?

9. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    And it will still be at a bitrate that means it's 10x as compressed as Blu-ray.

The human eye can only tell the difference between 1080 and 4k if you sit about two meters or less from a 65" TV... But can definitely detect the artefacting and black level compression that comes with current streaming. Turns out, resolution isn't the only element of picture quality that matters.

And streaming sound is way way compressed and nowhere close to 5.1 or 7.1 either one on Blu ray, which is uncompressed (and often essentially exactly what you'd hear in the theatre). And yes, TV shows are mixed to be listened to this way as well, not just movies. Blu ray on a HDR TV with good color depth, even a 1080p one, with a receiver that decodes the Dolby master sound to surround speakers is still the best way to watch home video.

This has been an sj film tech speech. And if you don't believe me, remember how you all scoffed at me about The Hobbit during production, until you saw what it actually looked like at 48fps.

10. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I don't think I did scoff at you for it. But I would submit you look at Ramza's reply to my post to understand two things.

1) He got it,
    2) You did not

11. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Just counting things that are 100% mine- laptop, iPhone, Xbox 360, Roku, Wii, Blu-ray player. So 6, maybe 7 if we count my old iPod touch, but I haven't used that in years, and it's no longer capable of producing sound anyway, nor am I certain that it supports Netflix at all.
    Netflix tells me this is still a thing, but somehow I think Netflix is lying and just avoiding having to say they don't have a particular movie or show available online. [face_thinking]

12. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Netflix DVDs/Blu Rays are actually still the only way to rent a huge swath of older films that have not been digitized for streaming rentals, and therefore are basically unavailable to view unless you outright buy them (which you're unlikely to do with a film you've never seen before).

And really it's not even only really old films, as this applies to less popular or classic films from the 90s, for instance. Netflix discs are still vital to film fans, along with some brick and mortar rental chains like Family Video, which is still doing well across large parts of the country. That, and libraries.

We're actually in a weird situation where, in spite of all our tech and options for viewing films, young people have the worst access to films made before they were born than at any other point since the advent of home video. Kids now are often at the mercy of Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, or HBO Go in terms of which older films are currently available for them to "rent". And also their libraries leave out many, many classic films from the last 50 years. Far more than you'd think.

Erm, no, read my post again, Ender. You missed it, actually. I wasn't at all refuting anything you said or saying that you believe in the magic of 4k. Quite the opposite. I was simply adding to your list of reasons 4k is impractical and dumb at present, and also noting why it will still be dubious once those obstacles you mention are removed.

The Hobbit comment obviously wasn't aimed at you, which is why I called it as a film tech speech (to the board at large), and specifically the groups who didn't believe my tech expertise on that. If it came across as implying that you personally were in that group, I didn't intend that.

But I thought it was pretty clear from the rest of the post that I was agreeing with you. I mean, I even started it with a sentence beginning with "And..."

Violent Violet Menace and hudzu like this.
  13. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Like 4 man.

14. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004