main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How many here are watching the DVDs on a regular, non-widescreen, stereo TV?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by KidA81, Sep 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KidA81

KidA81 Jedi Youngling

Sep 17, 2004
    Do you notice a difference? Last night when I got home from Best Buy I popped in Star Wars, and I was a little dissapointed by the tinny sound of the Fox fanfare. Even on my regular ol' TV the DVDs look fantastic (the detail on that Star Destroyer blows my mind, and the oh-so-slowly moving clouds on the surface of Tatooine are absolutely awesome).

I can't be the only one without a fancy giant TV, so what's the best way to optimize the sound quality?

2. Jumpman

Jumpman Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    You're not the only one.

I wish I had the proper TV and home theater system to watch my collection of DVDs, especially these Star Wars DVDs.

One of these days, I'll get with the program and get the home theater system that my DVD collection rightly deserves.

3. GreenGreatWarrior

GreenGreatWarrior Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2003
    *Puts hand up*

Hi...my name is Owen and I have a problem. I don't have a home cinema...

Owen ;)

4. PhantomMenace

PhantomMenace Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 20, 2001
    My parents have a great 63" HD TV back home, but I'm up here in college and only have a smaller stereo television. Oh well, I'll be home in a couple weeks. I'm happy anyway to see these DVDs at last.

5. KidA81

KidA81 Jedi Youngling

Sep 17, 2004
    But how do these DVDs look to you? Can you notice a difference in image clarity and color brightness on a smaller TV? I'm upgrading myself before Christmas, but until then I'm stuck with a crappy TV with a crappy sound set-up.

6. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    I got a 53inch TV, and cheap surround sound.
    Looks great but hate the Hoth part. When ever there is a lot of white on the screen I can see "Walmart TV" burning in to the screen.
    I know it such but $300 for a 53inch TV!! I can deal with it! Plus I didn't see it until I got home. No returns on Display TV's

but still LOVE the TV

7. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    [face_laugh]
    Hi Owen :) ;)

I have the same problem....

GROUP HUG!

Well, our TV may not be widescreen, but it isn't exactly small. It's not a huge-ass TV the price of a small car either, but it could be worse.
    No sound system.
    I merely have 4 speakers hooked up to my PC, but don't always turn on the rear ones - because of the neighbors :rolleyes:

The movie looked awesome on TV and the quality is amazing even on my 15" computer monitor (tiny, but very clear and stuff). Especially considering they're from 77-83!
    The sound, especially TESB's, was perfectly alright on mere stereo.

8. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    I only have a crappy 14" TV, myself, and I'm really annoyed since I'm waiting for Xmas to come through to get my 42" Plasma.

The sound doesn't bother me since I have a DD5.1/DPLII/DTS reciever, so the sound is sweeter than Yoohoo!

9. Orionsangel

Orionsangel Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    I haven't watched it yet on my Panasonic HDTV, only on my PC. Maybe later tonight. I really wanted to wait till the weekend when I have more time.

10. sabo-wan

sabo-wan Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 15, 2001
    Hmm...all I can say is, "GO OUT AND BUY A WIDESCREEN HDTV NOW!!"

Okay, maybe we don't all have the space or money for that, but at the very least make friends with someone who does. I was expecting A LOT out of these DVDs and I'm still totally blown away by the picture quality. ANH could pass for a movie that was released this year; THAT's how good the picture (and sound) quality is now. Unbelievable. Me + 50" HDTV + 5.1 Surround + DVDs = Happy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.