main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How many in the NR government?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Knight1192, Jan 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Need a little help. I'm looking for an idea of how many people are in the NR government. Mainly senators as the total number of government officials will include many jobs few would consider.

2. Warlord_Ken

Warlord_Ken Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2000
    The Senate probably consists of a thousand Senators plus their aides. The Old Republic had about 1000 Senators.

3. Sinje_Gawa

Sinje_Gawa Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 17, 2001
    Can't we just say "a lot" and get it over with?

A rough guestimation method:

Pause the senate scenes in TPM and AOTCs and start counting. Subtract by perhaps several dozen senators to reflect worlds that didn't join the New Republic when it formed, worlds that were destroyed and so forth. Oh, and figure out what portion of the chamber is shown on camera and then multiply your result by the percentage left off camera. Realistically, not every senator will be in attendance on any given day - just watch C-SPAN long enough and you'll see our own version of the senate chambers is relatively empty unless something big is being voted on and even then not everyone can show up. So add perhaps another ten percent to your final result.

4. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    i believe that the Old Republic had 1,024 different pods for senators. If each one was occupied by just one senator and there were no vacancies... it leaves about 1,024 senators. some senators represented a single world while others represented multiple planets in one sector.

starwars.com confirms the 1,024 repulsorlift pods.
    http://www.starwars.com/databank/organization/galacticsenate/eu.html

i always wondered what arrangements were given to those senators whose physiology wouldn't allow them to be in the regular senate pod (too big, need special air or water to live in, Coruscant has a bad gravity etc.) -- i'm sure they had representatives.

it could be that there are more senators than there are pods, and occassionally the less influential senators might have to share a pod if need be.

perhaps some pods were also designated for non-senators, such as representatives of the trade federation, etc. (note that Lott Dod is never really mentioned as the senator of the trade fed, but as the representative of the trade fed in the senate.

now, this was the old republic. my guess is that there are less senators in the new republic, but i could be wrong.

5. Jedi_Horn_888

Jedi_Horn_888 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 4, 2002
    There should be slightly less than the 1 000 or so in the OR, as there are worlds which are part of the Empire (eg. Bastion, Yaga Minor), worlds like Caamas and Alderaan that were razed/destroyed, and so forth.

6. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    the question is whether there are more systems that didn't/can't join the New republic than didn't/couldn't join the Old Republic. Remember, there were a lot of independent systems at both times (Hapes was a whole mini-empire)

I think after the New Republic was established, a lot of worlds that weren't under the Empire (that somehow the Empire didn't want) were allowed into the New Republic.

besides, didn't the survivors of alderaan have a political representative in the New Republic (want to say Courtship of Princess Leia)...

anyone actually compare the coverage of the Old Republic on a map, vs the New Republic (vs the Empire at its height, for good measure)

7. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    But the Old Republic seemed to have more worlds represented by a sectorial senator rather than a planetary senator where as it seems there are fewer sectorial senators in the NR.

8. Warlord_Ken

Warlord_Ken Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2000
    As far as I know, there is no map showing how much territory either Republic covers. On the NJO, the only borders that are marked out are the Empire's, as well as certain sectors and clusters (some of which might be in the NR anyway).

I'd say that there were the same number of systems in the OR and NR, roughly speaking.

Btw, I still can't understand how distinctly Imperialistic worlds like Kuat ended up joining the NR.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.