main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion How many new SW films should there be PER YEAR?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Ghost, Jun 17, 2018.

?

How many new SW films should there be PER YEAR?

1. Less than 1 new movie per year (a new movie every 2 years, or 3 years, etc)

33.7%
  2. 1 new movie per year

47.5%
  3. 2 new movies per year

10.9%
  4. 3 new movies per year

1.0%
  5. 4 new movies per year

1.0%
  6. 5 new movies per year

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 6 new movies per year

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 7 new movies per year

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 8 new movies per year

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. More than 8 new movies per year

5.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    How many new SW films should there be PER YEAR?

After reading some speculation on another website about how LFL might have 9 post-IX films already in development that they want to release soon, and on the other hand, how some fans felt there wasn't enough time between TLJ and Solo, I feel this is a good question to ask.

Personally, I think it should be a max of 1 new movie per year, and I'd personally be fine with the old pattern of a new one every 3 years that the OT and PT followed.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
  2. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    No more than a movie every 1.5 years. 2 would be ideal.

jaqen and ShaneP like this.
  3. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
    One per year. Though part of me misses the old 3 year pattern, going out to see SW as an annual ritual has been a lot of fun too (though if they wanted to make it some other time of the year than the middle of the Holidays, that would be swell). Also, I'm not getting any younger, and I'd rather not wait three more decades to see what Disney's LFL has in store.

4. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    If it must be every year, no more than one. But I do think maybe one every other year wouldn't kill them.

5. Generational Fan

Generational Fan Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2015
    As much as I love Star Wars and want to see as many films as possible made, Solo's BO result has reinforced to me that anything less than one year between films can potentially lead to the "fatigue" factor. And if the fatigue sets in and every film does not do well at the BO, eventually "new" Star Wars will be no more because Disney is a business and not a charity.

For me, I think one per year should account for any "fatigue" factors and generate enough of a return to satisfy Disney's executive board and its shareholders. Just release the film at the right time.

6. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    One a year seems good, but when you look at the likelihood that by the time IX comes out there'll two regular television series as well, and we tend to think there'll at least three within a few years (live action and two animated)... that's a lot of onscreen content. We still don't know what's next on the slate film-wise or what the gap is set to be... and they may have been waiting on SOLO's results to make that determination.

ShaneP likes this.
  7. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    1 movie a year tops.. imo

themoth and ShaneP like this.
  8. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    A new movie every two years, one per year at the absolute most. The moment they start doing two in the calendar year, is the moment we see the series take a shift towards Solo's box office on a regular basis. Five months was too little time between two movies, it doesn't matter if they were technically released in different years.

9. Blobofat

Blobofat Chosen One star 8

Dec 15, 2000
    2-3 years for saga films and use high quality tv series for anthology stuff. Make us wait for the epic movies and keep it to xmas time (it seems just right then).

Ghost, ShaneP and black_saber like this.
  10. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    It's not about how much you release every year or every other year, it is about the quality and doing them right. The prequel trilogy had each movies come out every three years and alot of people turned out disappointed. 1999 2002 2005

Not bashing, just trying mention about results, but I did not vote becaues it comes down to quality regardless on how much you make year or by waiting longer.

Blobofat likes this.
  11. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    1 movie every two or 3 years. But 1 a year is fine. More than that is just oversaturating the market and the fans.

Ghost, 3sm1r and Blobofat like this.
  12. Blobofat

Blobofat Chosen One star 8

Dec 15, 2000
    Agree about the quality. But it's also an anticipation thing: sometimes the journey is as (or even more) exciting than the destination. The speculating and slow drip of information beforehand is as much a part of the experience as the movies themselves. I look back fondly on all the discussions with people on and offline when the prequels were being made and they were each served with a healthy dollop of time and breathing space between each release.

black_saber and Ghost like this.
  13. MaciekRS

MaciekRS Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 15, 2016
    2 movies. One big, Saga or new RJ trilogy and second small like Solo (of course with budget less then 100 mln). One should be blockbuster and second for hardcore fans.

My personal limit is I think two movies and two 10 ep live action series per year.
    And lets face it, I am close to 50. 1 film per 3 years would mean that I will die before something really big is happen in SW universe. :)

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
    Darth Smurf likes this.
  14. TheCloneWarsForever

TheCloneWarsForever Force Ghost star 7

Apr 24, 2018
    Once every time there's a story that needs telling.

Lee_ likes this.
  15. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
  16. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    2Cleva and The Regular Mustache like this.
  17. crazyewok

crazyewok Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 27, 2017
    As many as they can create GOOD story's for.

Marvel can do a few a year so I dont see why star wars cant.

Lee_ and black_saber like this.
  18. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I think eventually we'll be looking at getting at least two per year. A big Saga type event film and a smaller scale Anthology film. The Weiss/Benioff films and the Rian Johnson trilogy will be released every other year with Anthology films releasing in the summer of each year.

Lee_ and MaciekRS like this.
  19. crazyewok

crazyewok Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 27, 2017
    That is what I am guessing.

I don' believe in oversatuation. If marvel can pull it off starwars can.

It just comes down to creating good storys.

Lee_ likes this.
  20. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Star Wars =/= Marvel

1. We have different fan bases
    2. We have different expectations
    3. We fill in different niches

To compare to Ancient Greek times...
    * Marvel is filling in the niche of all those different plays, like Antigone, Oedipus Rex, etc.
    * while Star Wars is supposed to be filling in the niche of Grand Mythology, like: Ouranos vs Cronus vs Zeus, the stories of Prometheus and the Flood, the Labors of Heracles, Jason and the Argonauts, the Trojan War, etc.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
    Twain likes this.
  21. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I used to think we should eventually get to 2 per year-thinking that it wouldn't be too much, since Marvel does 2 or even three a year successfully. But after Solo, I think it's apparent that SW is a different animal in this case. I will say it takes away from the anticipation of the upcoming movies, if we have one every five or six months...I mean from a marketing standpoint alone, it's SW in your face all the time: on TV, FB, on shirts, coffee mugs, soup cans, Cheez It boxes, everything-but it would be ALL the time...not sure I'm up for that.

22. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I think once every 2 years or three years I really think part of the reason for the bad Solo Box Office was Star Wars Burn out if these rumors of Star Wars A Star Wars Story films going on a hiatus are true and Focusing on Rian Johnsons Trilogy and the Trilogy by the Game Of Thrones guys then I agree with the decision It makes them more of an event film series with out the burn out. I am sure they will eventually bring back the spin off films.

23. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    1 movie per year. I still think they can make it work if they stay in December.

avcpl and Darth Smurf like this.
  24. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Yes 1 movie per year but released in December & every so often leave it for 2 years to freshen it up & also lower their standards as in don't expect a billion dollars ww every time........

25. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    I believe Pixar does 1.5 a year. 1 new film and they try to do a equal from a previous film every other year. I don't see why Star Wars can't do something similar with the right strategic plan.

chris hayes and Baron_Papanerd like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.