main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How many of you admins have been around longer than me and also never been perm banned

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Jedi Master RussDog, Oct 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fathead

Fathead Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 12, 1999
    I still do read the star wars threads and look around community. I don't post much, that's for sure, but I still look around.

But I'd like to see this place better than what it is. But no one listens to just one person, so when a group starts talking i join in.

And Padme Bra, if I remember correctly, you have your own board as well, so why do you care?

2. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    KW, he has already said why he banned her. Now I want to know what the diffeence is between what he did and what PB took a dive for?

In all honesty, I am unfamiliar with the situation with PB that you are referring to.

The "slackers" seem to be banned pretty much constantly

Not at all. If you were to view the admin notes of most of the slackers, I think you'd find that no, most of them have not been banned with the frequency that you are saying. The actual approach that many of us take is, "it's the slackers being themselves. Keep that in mind." And so we basically give them more rope because of it.

3. Qui Gon Jim23

Qui Gon Jim23 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    Anyone who is a "slacker," who disagrees with admins and who don't tow the party line are banned for any excuse contrivable.

I don't think disagreeing with the admins and not towing the party line is exclusive to "slackers". There are many of us who disagree with the administration often, but more often than not the attitude brought in by the "slackers" completely overshadows whatever valid points might have been made.

I sure the admins (as do I) respond much more positively to honest, civilized debate than mud-slinging and thinly-veiled flames.

4. Emerik Lonestar

Emerik Lonestar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 5, 1999
    Padme, you ever wonder why we left? We know what this place is like and what it can be. Yes we have our own board, one that we bought and paid for by ourselves, but does that mean we can't spend quality time here? And we do spend quality time here. You just don't see us then.

5. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    Actually, I don't have my own board but I understand what you're saying, fair enough. I just don't think most of the slackers share that sentiment and I don't think this is the way to go about changing things.

6. Cetera

Cetera Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 29, 2000
    I don't think disagreeing with the admins and not towing the party line is exclusive to "slackers". There are many of us who disagree with the administration often, but more often than not the attitude brought in by the "slackers" completely overshadows whatever valid points might have been made.

I sure the admins (as do I) respond much more positively to honest, civilized debate than mud-slinging and thinly-veiled flames.

No they don't. Do you actually watch what happens here? They are blown off unless they bring attitude to the discussion. And see my above post that has yet to be responded to by the admins (the first one of mine in this thread) for how often the admins respond to "slackers." They don't. And they won't. They prefer to ignore them until they ban them, because they don't like having their shortcomings pointed out to them. The only way for the "slackers" to get their point across is to be sarcastic.

You would think that people would start to figure out that maybe there is a problem with the admining policies here, since it is brought up about every month, and there is a bunch of "drama," and then it'll all start over again, because it has been "handled and taken care of" by other mods, and NOTHING EVER CHANGES.

*EDIT* quoted QGJ.

7. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    They are blown off unless they bring attitude to the discussion.

Listen to me, would you? I'm telling you that they stop getting listened to. They are *heard* when the attitude comes along, but they aren't *listened to* more often than not. If you want to get changes made or express your thoughts, do it in an intelligent way, not filled with attitude.

I will never blow someone off who expresses their opinion in an intelligent way.

And see my above post that has yet to be responded to by the admins (the first one of mine in this thread) for how often the admins respond to "slackers."

I already said that I have not been able to make a response to your post because I haven't had the time to. I've been too busy keeping up here. I apologize.

8. EchoBase

EchoBase Jedi Master star 3

Sep 13, 2000
    QGJ, I was assuming that your id was an alias and you were in fact a much older member of the forum, but your last post shows that you really do have no knowledge of the history of this place if you think that the administration "...respond much more positively to honest, civilized debate...". The easier you make it for them to ignore something, the more likely it is that they will ignore it.

9. Fathead

Jun 12, 1999
    Well, i don't own any boards myself.

Yes, quite a few slackers are just looking to cause trouble, but many of them do want this place to be cool again.

Maybe we don't choose the best method for persuasion, but sometimes it's the only way to get noticed. Plus, you have to uphold your reputation.

10. Cetera

Mar 29, 2000
    KW, honestly, if you read and "listen," why don't you respond. Oh, I suppose all the mods go off to the modsquad to congratulate all the slackers on being good little boys and making good little points in a good little manner.

Get real. You don't respond, you don't reply. They make legitimate posts, legitimate complaints. They appeal things through proper channels, through the little PMs that are then ignored. Give me a break. If you listen, you have done an extremely poor job of showing it, discussing things with them, and actually trying to get something accomplished.

Yeah, things have deteriorated here to a point where they don't even try to be tactful anymore. It has gotten them precisely nothing. And then you all whine and moan how they aren't conducive to good discussions. Maybe because the admins don't discuss with them? Yeah, that is a main problem, and that you all refuse to acknowledge or do anything about.

*EDIT*

I already said that I have not been able to make a response to your post because I haven't had the time to. I've been too busy keeping up here. I apologize.

Well, someone needs to. You are just proving my point. Things aren't moving that quickly here. I am able to keep up and type lots, and still have a darn good idea of what is going on. You aren't getting the job done. Legitimate posts/compplaints discussing issues are being ignored for "drama" and sarcasm. That is what always happens. And that is why the admins are looked down upon, and rightfully so, by the "slackers."

11. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    KW, honestly, if you read and "listen," why don't you respond

What the hell are you talking about? What do you think I have been doing in this thread, and in thread after thread in this forum?

If this isn't responding, I kindly ask what actually qualifies as "responding"?

I've done my damndest to listen and respond. For the third time, I did not respond to your lengthy post earlier in the thread because I haven't had time to.

A slacker member came to me a few weeks back, when gundark posted a thread in Communications demanding a title. I locked the thread, and the member wanted to know why, and why the title wasn't allowed. We had a short PM conversation, and he basically understood. He saw my perspective and I like to think I saw his.

12. Emerik Lonestar

Sep 5, 1999
    Padme, why are you holding us to what you believe we think?

13. Fathead

Jun 12, 1999
    Well, honestly, do you think most of the slackers *cough Dushoni, Bismark cough* can actually think for themselves?

;)

14. Captain Antilles

Captain Antilles Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 26, 1998
    I take offense to "what the hell". Kindly ban yourself.

15. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Things aren't moving that quickly here. I am able to keep up and type lots, and still have a darn good idea of what is going on. You aren't getting the job done

What the hell am I now? Just a glorified Public Relations machine, bound to please you and every member while ignoring my own life and those around me?

I'm sorry if I can't mentally move quick enough for you, and I'm sorry if I can't do as good of a job as you like.

I don't get angry much, but you sure found a way. I'm sorry I'm not good enough for you.

I take offense to "what the hell". Kindly ban yourself.

Sorry, no game. "Hell" has always been allowed in that context.

16. Cetera

Mar 29, 2000
    What the hell are you talking about? What do you think I have been doing in this thread, and in thread after thread in this forum?

If this isn't responding, I kindly ask what actually qualifies as "responding"?

I've done my damndest to listen and respond. For the third time, I did not respond to your lengthy post earlier in the thread because I haven't had time to.

Responding means actually having a discussion about the points raised by our posts and arguing the facts. Not just posting a sentence or two so people see you are around, but not actually saying anything substantive. You haven't responded to anything of what I said in that post. What I said has everything to do with this conversation, and about how things are handled here. You are "ignoring" my comments because they are lengthy and written out in a reasonable manner. Perhaps you would prefer it if I rewrote it in a one or two line zinger, dripping with sarcasm, so I can get my point across, and you can quickly respond to it?

See, my point remains the same. Reasonableness is ignored until people get lippy, and then they are banned, because the admins don't do their job. Pure and simple.

17. Fathead

Jun 12, 1999
    I take offense to "Public Relations Machine".

As a Public Relations Rep, I find it highly offensive to be called a Machine, or to be likened to one, like my humanity is in question. I deal with this constantly and should be able to avoid this kind of harrassment when I come to this board.

Kindly ban yourself.

18. Captain Antilles

Captain Antilles Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 26, 1998
    KW, so what? Nazi used to be allowed all the time too.

19. EchoBase

EchoBase Jedi Master star 3

Sep 13, 2000
    Whoa, calm down there Angery McOutburst. There's no need for that kind of language. A confrontational attitude like the one your displaying does not help matters. Why don't you get one your more level-headed peers to come in here and resolve this while you resolve your own personal issues.

20. Jedi Master RussDog

Jedi Master RussDog Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 26, 1998
    "Well I haven't been here longer than you, but I've never been banned at all."

Yeah, well the only reason I've been banned was due to the incompetence of the administration and my voicing of that opinion.

And who wanted to know what other mods had been perm banned only to return and become mods ... well there Farraday to add to your list, you give me a list of mods, and I'll do my best to give you ones that were banned.

And accept what this place has become? NO. My house first! You people came in, pushed your uptight beliefs on my and forced me out of my home.

You aren't moderating the rules of the board you are moderating your lame emotions and opinions then changing the rules of the board to match those to make it "warranted". And I'm sick and tired of it.

I want my house back.

The house I helped to build. You think this place would even still be here were it not for us? I think not.

21. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    I'm sorry. I've just had enough. I can only do so much, and I can only take so much. I hope some other admins can come along and answer your questions.

22. Dark_Lord_Erik

Dark_Lord_Erik Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2001
    We do want to make this place better, but for everyone.

I'm much more likely to respond to questions that aren't filled with borderline flames. I really do want to hear your concerns, but you don't make it easy for us to do this.

I do feel that some topics are locked too quickly, and sometimes users are banned too quickly as well.

Please give myself, and the other mods a list of things that you feel need to be changed. And if you do it without being sarcastic and confrontational, you'll get closer to the results that you're looking for.

You do have to realize, though, that you can't get everything that a small group wants. Because what you want may not be what the members as a whole want.

23. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    The house I helped to build. You think this place would even still be here were it not for us? I think not.

I think so. You know, one of the biggest message boards on one of the biggest Star Wars sites? :)

24. Emerik Lonestar

Sep 5, 1999
    Hold on there. I for one think that he has been doing a fine job. At least he has the sack to stand here and talk to us. Not go and hide under a desk. He is trying and that is all that I ask. He has responded to my posts and slowly but surely I might even get the answers that I am looking for.

25. Servings per Container

Servings per Container Jedi Padawan star 4

May 3, 2000
    Russdog, please remove the alchohol related sig from your post.

The fact that you support poop AND intoxicating beverages is grounds for dismissal from this board. Post accordingly, or else me and my deluded world-view will be forced to take this up with a higher power board nazi.

thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.