main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST How many of you older guys took your Parents to see the film?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Lord Summerisle, Dec 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Jedi Padawan

Feb 12, 2015
    My brother and I, both in our 40's took our 70 year old mum to watch the film a few days ago. We'd both already seen the film. It was a nice afternoon out, just like when we were little kids and she took us to watch the OT films on their original runs.

whostheBossk, MS1, Keycube and 6 others like this.
  2. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
  3. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
  4. MotherNature's SilverSeed

MotherNature's SilverSeed Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 4, 2013
    That's fantastic.

I was taken to see them by my 70+ dad and 60+ mom back in the early, early 80s...I was born on May 30 in 77 so I never saw it when it was released, but it came back so many times that I saw each of them in the theaters.

Anyway, I think it is so incredibly awesome that you watched the new one with your mom. They mean so much to us, and seeing the movies when we're the "most capable" ones is really some sort of cycle-of-life thing, right? The social relevance of Star Wars transcends eras. Think about that, everybody. We can tell all of you young people the way it was, but it's not even possible for one of us "oldies" to understand exactly how it was for another person around that late-70s/early80s period...really a very, very different time, but we can all lay down on a couch or settee and exert a little mental power and be taken RIGHT BACK THERE...

May the Force be with all of us.

Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays, everybody.

EDIT: By the way...Family and friends = everything

5. Norminator

Norminator Jedi Master star 2

Nov 2, 2009
    Taking my 59 year old mother to see it after new years. Didn't think she was interested, but when I said I've seen it twice she instantly asked if I'm going again and could take her.

You won't have to ask me twice to go see TFA

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

6. Lord Summerisle

Feb 12, 2015
    Great post and very accurate. It felt great taking her to watch it, she really enjoyed it aswell. She isn't a huge fan like my brother and I but all those late 70's/early 80's Christmas's were all about Star Wars in our house. She has fond memories of those days, as do I.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  7. MotherNature's SilverSeed

Feb 4, 2013
    I can almost see it.

Exactly--the parents who gave us those toys were in such an anticipation and excitement state, perhaps even moreso than we were when we knew we were getting some of those figures and model-toys (what do you call them, anyway?) At any rate, everything around you and me was of a completely other time....remember those TVs in the wooden, sculpted frame? Times have just changed, man. And it mostly feels good, I think...

8. MotherNature's SilverSeed

Feb 4, 2013
    "Star Wars in our house."

That's perfect dude.

EDIT: I know you meant something different, but you have to admit...when there was Star Wars an Christmas, it was figures and imagining the movies, and imagining OURSELVES in the movies...it's really no different than what people like us experienced back then, I would presume.

9. Lord Summerisle

Feb 12, 2015

I sure do remember those TV's haha. So many toys, all long gone now. The only one left is my Yoda hand puppet who sits proudly in my office at home. I'm glad I grew up when I did, it was just a great time and taking my mum to watch the film made think of those days with a smile on my face. Here I am now in my 40's, still obsessed with Star Wars.

whostheBossk and thejeditraitor like this.
  10. MotherNature's SilverSeed

Feb 4, 2013
    Nothing to be ashamed of, my friend. So many people--myself included--find ourselves in a similarly awkward but ultimately shameless predicament...the revelation that it could come back into our lives with almost boundless profundity...

Okay, I'm overdoing it, but my point is: do not be ashamed--it is something of which we should all be proud.

11. Lord Summerisle

Feb 12, 2015
    Heh, it never left my life :) Not ashamed of anything, I love the movies, always have always will.

12. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    This is rather sad tbh..

I saw ANH as a kid with my parents waaay back in the day (they took me - I wasn't old enough to assert my cinematic choices on them).... they endured my obsession with the story over the following decades sooo with the new film coming out, i thought it would be nice to see it with them again, so booked great seats at the IMAX last week.

Turns out, they had both made other plans soooo I ended up seeing the film again with a couple of friends on their seniors discount ticket price.

Ah well...

13. MotherNature's SilverSeed

Feb 4, 2013
    Imagine if our parents went to some adult bull**** party back when we were in gradeschool, and we were forxced into the room sequestered for the kids...and we had nothing to do but watch episodes IV, V and VI.... all of you reading this, join the thought experiment: we would all be equally stupid kids, probably, but we'd ALL have specific ideas about the original movies.....I dunno, that fascinates me.

14. MotherNature's SilverSeed

Feb 4, 2013
    Remember this.

Chewies_bandolier likes this.
  15. Chewies_bandolier

May 5, 2002
    UPDATE: My mom has agreed to see the film with me tomorrow - in her words: "If so many people are seeing it then I suppose I had better see what it is about". Given that the last cinematic experience we had together involved hobbitses with her asking me at the end "so you mean there were more than one of them- they all looked the same?" , I am not holding my breath that she'll like it but hell... :)

16. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I don't really see how this is seen by some as some kind of odd juxtaposition. Parents in their 60s and 70s were in their twenties and thirties when the other movies were new, and if you were a kid who liked Star Wars and wanted the toys, are just as knowledgeable of Star Wars stuff. They know what an AT-AT is, refer to the Mos Eisley Cantina as the Creature Cantina because that's what Kenner called it, and they know how to properly pronounce Boba Fett. These are also Baby Boomers, who've generally been more youthful throughout adulthood than the generation before them.

17. gunzerker

gunzerker Jedi Knight

Dec 20, 2015
    I took my 78 year old Mom and 13 year old boy to see it, and we all left the cinema beaming. My mom took me to see Star Wars over 35 yrs ago (and sat through a few screenings with me!).

18. Ticonderouga

Ticonderouga Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 20, 2015
    Alright the first time I saw TFA I went my mom, two of my brothers and my 3 year old nephew. My mom definitely liked it (but I think mostly for the nostalgia), but the real kick was my nephew. He was so into the whole movie, cheering and yelling, and for days he was playing Star Wars. What that so special for me was that I was three the first time I saw Star Wars was almost identical. This is why Star Wars is so special, the way it so effortlessly crosses generations.

19. Melchior

Melchior Jedi Youngling

Dec 24, 2015
    I did. Best moment was when leia walked out of the shuttle, and my mum remarked, "oh that was the princess. she's oooold."

20. Yodahasgreenfeet

Yodahasgreenfeet Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    Yes. But my mother couldn't get over the death of Solo.

21. Twain

Twain Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2014
    Me! And very happy I got the chance. She loved it.

I'm 33 and she's 61.

She's by no means a fan but always cultivated my love for it when I was young. At the end she said, "Oh shoot! I want to see more now!"

We got to share a nice evening together because of it. Felt like old times with old friends.

Heroic BB-8 and thejeditraitor like this.
  22. Airseven

Airseven Jedi Knight star 1

May 21, 2013
    I took my father but he did not care for it. Fell asleep during Maz's castle scenes. Said the dialogue was tedious and predictable. Also that Finn was annoying. But he did like the ending.

23. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Bittersweet for me...
    When Star Wars first came out, my very stoic, very British father came home and burst through the door and said "We've got to go see this!" (Seriously, this is one of the most vivid memories of my childhood).

Sadly, Dad passed on the 4th of November, but I did take my 'ex's' son (who lost his dad this year too) to opening night the day after he was rescued from the State care.[face_love]

24. Chewies_bandolier

May 5, 2002
    Just saw it with my mum (we both agreed that my dad would probably fall asleep in it) .... it was an interesting experience since the theatre was by this stage of the cinematic run, filled by fans who were much more into it than the midnight screening audience I saw it with.

Anyway - she loved BB-8 and the comedy, her comment on seeing Rey immediately was "so that is Princess Leia's daughter, right?", she also thought that poor Princess Leia was really old :(, got Darth Vader and Kylo a bit confused (evidently the Dark Helmet of my childhood is unreplicable) - I had to tell her the whole "Han and Princess Leia's son has gone Darth Vader like") , she was the only person (bless) to gasp out audibly "He just KILLED his own father?" and piece de resistance .. at the end, the cinematic highlight of the whole film, she turns to me and asks - "so who is the old man?" :D :D I love my mum, but I think I will probably take pity on both of us and not bother her with "this Star Wars stuff we bought you when you were a kid" in the future.

25. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    My Dad took me to see ANH and ESB in their original run but has lost interest in Star Wars since then (rented TPM and turned it off halfway through). My parents think my Star Wars obsession is hilarious now. They said they'll watch TFA but will wait for the Blu-Ray.

Dak Oolron, ShaneP and Rylo Ken like this.
  26. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Took my 80 year old father who took me in 77. He still reads a sci fi novel every week and has never lost interest in Star Wars. He's never said a bad thing about the prequels either. All sci fi is good sci fi as far as he's concerned.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.