main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How Many Oscar Noms Will AOTC Get?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by cherryfunk, Feb 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cherryfunk

cherryfunk Jedi Youngling

Jan 3, 2002

I think maybe 2 or 3. Did you notice how Menace was almost shut out of the Oscars? Did it even win anything?

In contrast, Fellowship of the Ring was nominated for 13 Oscars and is likely to sweep the technical awards.

Talent is rewarded. Tripe is not.

2. hew

hew Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 1999
    "Talent is rewarded. Tripe is not."

Since when?

3. Mace Windy

Mace Windy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 3, 1999
    and is likely to sweep the technical awards.

I hope not. LOTR is my favoirte non-SW movie, but A.I. had far superior Special Effects.

:cool: Mace Windy,
    one wind to blow them all!

4. C-3P0

C-3P0 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 2001
    Ug...

just of to the here if you want to whine about TPM.

Does every forum have to be invaded? It's been three years.

Get over it.

5. Mace Windy

Mace Windy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 3, 1999
    I really did not take that first post as "whining." He was just asking alegitimate question, IMO....

:cool: Mace Windy,
    one wind to blow them all!

6. JohnWilliams00

JohnWilliams00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    I hope AOTC gets a nomination for Best Score. I still can't believe TPM was shut out for that one. That's an embarassment.

Also hoping for nominations in:

-Best Art/set Decoration

-Best Screenplay (unlikely), but maybe it's
    so well put together it does earn a nom?

-Best Costumes: TPM was shut out here too.

-Best Picture:? If it does, it would have to
    surpass A New Hope in quality. Will it?

7. Sonic_Pumpkins

Sonic_Pumpkins Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 17, 2001
    Its not likely that AOTC will be nominated for anything except for sound, effects, editing, and perhaps if the public likes it; cinematography, art direction, and costume design.

While we're at it...best picture and director (lol).

8. Sonic_Pumpkins

Sonic_Pumpkins Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 17, 2001
    Hahaha!!

I'm sorry, Cherryfunk, but your theory that "talent is rewarded. Tripe is not," is totally perposterous! Do you call "Gladiator" and "Titanic" talent-filled movies?! Do you actually think that "The Matrix" diserved to win all those oscars over "TPM"? If you do, then thats really, really sad b/c all that the Matrix had was that revolving camera trick (recycled from "Wing Commander" and a couple other films)....and, believe it or not, TPM(love it or hate it), has better visuals than any films before and so far after it, including FOTR. I was thoroughly distraught over the fact that FOTR's visuals weren't even on par with TPM.

9. SWfan2002

SWfan2002 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2002
    AOTC will probably deserve many more oscars/ocscar nominations than it gets. I think it would be highly unlikely for AOTC to win an award over TTT, even if AOTC clearly deserves it. No matter how good/bad TTT is, the critics will love it. Gollum could look like a cartoon drawing and it would still win over AOTC.

10. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    Uggh! TPM's lack of proper Oscars were a travesty. It deserved Best Art Direction, Visual Effects, Sound and Score. It got nothing and didn't even get NOMINATED for score.

AOTC's chances:
    Art Direction
    Visual Effects
    Sound
    Score
    Actor (Hayden)... maybe. 'Course, if he didn't get a nod for Life as a House, I'm not too optimistic.

11. Darth Kimball

Darth Kimball Jedi Youngling star 2

May 12, 2000
    I agree that TPM was snubbed for Art Direction and Score, especially considering the weak competition that year in both categories. Here's hoping AOTC, if deserving, is properly recognized for those two.

12. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    The trouble is that science fiction has never been highly regarded by anyone, and many of the great science fiction films, such as 2001: A Space Oddyssey, Blade Runner, and even Star Wars have only been considered classics a few years after their initial release. It's a very sad thing, but a lot of people tend to switch off when it comes to science fiction, and the best a film in the science fiction genre would get is best visual effects and costume nomination. Also, even if Attack of the Clones is George Lucas best work since Star Wars, and if it has the cleverest screenplay since The Usual Suspects, and Natalie Portman and Ewan McGregor deliver their best performance of their careers, and Hayden and Christopher Lee are excellent, and the music is fantastic, and the visual effects are utterly breathtaking, I doubt whether it would be nominated for best picture. That sort of thing just doesn't happen to films like Star Wars, which I think is an awful shame.

13. Dayda_Amidala

Dayda_Amidala Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 28, 2001
    I think it should at least get NOMINATED for best costume design. The costumes we've seen so far look so beautiful and much more classy than TPM.

(mainly refering to Padme's costumes)

14. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    Holy bantha poodoo, I completely forgot that AOTC will compete against Two Towers at the Oscars!
    Where will my loyalties lie?!?!?!
    AOTC will still probably pick up more technical awards, but forget about any of the "big category" awards. Alas...

15. Joey-WanKenobi

Joey-WanKenobi Jedi Master star 2

Jan 7, 2002
    Just curious...was ANH nominated for bebt picture?

16. Darth Kimball

May 12, 2000
    Yes, but Woody Allen's Annie Hall won.

17. Grace17

Grace17 Jedi Youngling

Jan 21, 2000
    ok, I hate to say this but,"Attack of the Clones" doesn't come out to theatres until May, the Academy Awards are on March 24th so I don't think that Star Wars will have any mention until next march.

18. Darth Kimball

May 12, 2000
    We know!

Besides, the cutoff for the Oscars is an American release before 12/24. (I think - it's sometime within that week)

19. JohnWilliams00

JohnWilliams00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    I completely forgot about TTT as well. Forget about it. Throw in the towel, it's over for AOTC.

Not that I prefer it over AOTC, but the Oscars seem to be nicer to the Lord of the Rings series than Star Wars.
    And since nominations for science fiction/fantasy genres are already rare, I think more votes will sway toward TTT, thus more snubs for AOTC. :(

20. Jedi Without a Cause

Jedi Without a Cause Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 7, 2000
    I don't think TTT will garner as much recognition as FotR did. Even in book form it's not NEARLY as good.

Aotc will get nominated for all the usual visual and sound fx oscars and probably'll get a score nom as well. It won't come anywhere CLOSE to screenplay or director even if it was to be a huge critical and commercial success. It's just not "dignified" enough. Starwars has taken a blasting by film school types over the last several, several years for being the "movie that ruined films." Claiming that it is the genesis of all the mtv fast paced editing, effects heavy, story-lite types of films which may or may not be true. Unfortunately it has also been insinuated that Star Wars was this type of film as well, which is so far off base as to be almost laughable. The trouble is that now this philosophy via repetition has been lodged in the skulls of many an academy member and it'll be hard to overide.

I foresee many academy members being appalled that FotR did so well this year that they won't go for TTT next year. Aotc and TTT will both be left out in the cold.

-JWAC

21. Panzer M

Panzer M Jedi Youngling

Apr 1, 1999
    Though AOTC looks very promising I think the fact that it is coming out in May and not during Oscar season is going to greatly diminish its chances for garnering any nominations by the Academy. For example Harry Potter was a much better movie than Lord of the Rings, but because it arrived at theaters earlier in the 'Oscar Season' it gained less nominations.

22. Darth-Mauls-Torso

Darth-Mauls-Torso Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 1, 2001
    Ever since the great technical awards debacle of 2000 I don't give a crap about what the Oscars pass off as "best of the year". TPM got screwed in so many ways, both in awards won and nominations (Where the hell were the score, art direction, make up and costume design? ARGH!), I don't see it being any different for AotC. I'm not just saying that because I'm a Star Wars nut, either. TPM deserved better than it ended up with.

AotC will get noms for the technical awards and that's about it. Then it'll lose to Scooby Doo, which will also win for best costumes, production design, supporting actor for Freddie Prinze Jr. and adapted screenplay.

I hate the Oscars.

23. antilles72

antilles72 Jedi Youngling

Jan 22, 2002
    Joey-Wamkenodi: Yes ANH was nominated for Best picture. It lost out to 'Annie Hall'. Who can forget that movie?? 8-}

24. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    It's actually rather good, you know. But it didn't deserve to win. Neither did Star Wars. Close Encounters of the Third Kind deserved to win!

25. Vaders_leash

Vaders_leash Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 29, 2001
    I doubt seriously that AOTC will get any, because the Academy dislikes, and is jealous of, GL. And a lot of the members are tired of SW. If there is a possibility of a nom or a win, I think it would be for editing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.