main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How Many Oscar Noms Will AOTC Get?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by cherryfunk, Feb 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sonic_Pumpkins

Sonic_Pumpkins Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 17, 2001
    Unfortunately, Star Wars wont be nominated for much b/c the Academy is too busy awarding movies like "Braveheart II: Roman Style"( aka Gladiator).

2. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    I don't really belive the academy hates Lucas. Bit of a myth that I'm sure.

3. PruneF8ce

PruneF8ce Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    I could give a rats behind whether or not the academy likes Star Wars or even mentions it. All that matters is that its good.

4. Ret

Ret Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 17, 1999
    Maybe noms for effects and costumes. No wins unless hell freezes over.

5. George15

George15 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 4, 2002
    Harry Potter was a much better movie than Lord of the Rings

PM please tell me your joking?Harry potter was ok but no way was it better than lord of the rings.Off the subject i know but i had to mention it.

6. StarBlazer

StarBlazer Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2001
    I agree with Vaders_Leash on this one. George Lucas doesn't make his movies through Hollywood, (he learned the mistake of making a movie through Hollywood the hard way with American Graffiti) rather he makes them independently. Because of his 'defiance/independence' and because he does so well, Hollywood tends to ignore his movies (Star Wars) at the Oscars. Shame.

*Star*

7. cherryfunk

cherryfunk Jedi Youngling

Jan 3, 2002

Remember, Star Wars was nominated for Best Picture.

If RoTC is anything like TPM, it will be darn near shut out, because Lucas has lost the ability to craft a good film.

I wish it weren't so, I really do. But don't tell me you can watch Empire and Menace and fail to see the astonishing difference in quality...

8. JohnWilliams00

JohnWilliams00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    But don't tell me you can watch Empire and Menace and fail to see the astonishing difference in quality...

I agree good point. But there's one thing I have a question about:

If RoTC is anything like TPM, it will be darn near shut out, because Lucas has lost the ability to craft a good film.

I thought ROTC was a military class? ;)
    [face_laugh]

9. Jedi Without a Cause

Jedi Without a Cause Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 7, 2000
    "Lucas has lost the ability to craft a good film."

May I just say, "ugh."

As far as why Lucas does or does not get nominated, isn't there something about the unions? I thought I read somewhere that lucas is not a member of any of the unions he's eligible for. I also remember reading about TPM that he offered to let Frank Darabont write the script but Frank refused citing something about the unions and how it wouldn't be right for him to work non-union. Or something. I could've SWORN I heard that. At any rate, if it's true. It could go a long way toward explaining why he never gets noms or wins from the academy which is almost ALL union affiliated.

-JWAC

10. Jedi knight Pozzi

Apr 2, 2000
    As I hear the glowing reviews, I'm beginning to wonder about AOTC chances.

11. DeltaJedi

DeltaJedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 24, 2002
    I would say with 99.9% certainty that there is absolutely zero chance of Attack of the Clones winning one of the major oscars (actor/director/picture) at the Academy Awards.

It would be 100% certainty, but then I was floored when Gladiator won, so I can't be certain of anything these days. ;)

Fantasy/Sci-Fi films rarely get attention as serious contenders for any sort of awards. They're usually considered to be cinematic fluff with no real substance to them. The Academy, as a general rule, tends to prefer pictures where peple shout a lot (like that movie "In the Bedroom", I sware every clip of that was somebody shouting at another person!).

The only way AotC gets academy recognition is for the techie catagories (and I think Lucas hurts himself in these catagories by being SO dependent on technology, but that's just a personal theory).

...and, maybe...just maybe...if AotC ends up being as good as advertised (ESB-style good), stays dominant at the box office for months and ends up being a huge genre-altering / culture defining film...maybe it gets a nod for the Best Picture nomination.

Clouded, this picture's future is.

12. Darth-Schwartz

Darth-Schwartz Jedi Master star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    tech awards get handed out to the newest thing not the best in most cases.
    i was angry when tpm got shut out and the matrix racked em up. the matrix effects i don't think were "better" but they were fresh and new, tpm effects were harder to do. to back that statement up look at all the post matrix movies which ripped off the fighting style (freezing time i call it, running up walls stuff liek that) that proves the effects are easy to do. the only movie that was on par or even beat tpm was lord of the rings. thats my opinion anyway.

ps. A.I. was cool and i'm gald to see some people liked it.

13. Jedi_Boricua

Jedi_Boricua Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 17, 2002
    About the unions, I know for a fact that GL was fined by the Movie Maker Association (I invented the name, but it's something liket that)after ANH came out because he did not show the actor's name at the beggining of the movie. He payed the fine and left the organization once and for all.

IMO the main reason that GL is paying 140 million of his own money for AOTC is so he can make the movie HE WANTS, not the movie Hollywood wants.

14. Darth23

Darth23 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 14, 1999
    I don't think it matters how good AOTC is. I thought LOTR deserved a few of the 'real' Oscars (not editting, absolutely not).

They managed a Cinematography and soundtrack award, but I think a adapted screenplay or supporting actor nom would have been cool as well.

And LOTR is 'In the system'. New Line is owned by the same huge comglomerate that owns Warner Brother movies, the WB, CNN-TBS-TNN-et al, Entertainment Weekly and a few other big media entities, and they were only able to get mostly the 'techie' awards.

Lucas is too far outside the system, and the Star Wars series can always be looked at as a Been There-Done That kind of thing.

AOTC might get 2 or 3 nominations, maybe even 4 but no wins, I think.

15. Darth-Schwartz

Darth-Schwartz Jedi Master star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    if you noticed this years oscars when tom cruise was talkin about the best films of all time he mentioned jaws, jurasic park, 2001, and a bunch of others not once mentioning star wars.

16. KNIMBLEKNIGHT

KNIMBLEKNIGHT Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 8, 2002
    I think it would be great for AOTC to get nominated for some of the big awards, but it is probably just too "mainstream" for those snobby Academy voters. And it is too light, which isn't a criticism. That's why we love Star Wars - because it's so much fun. The Academy just doesn't recognize movies like this - it's not because they have it in for Lucas, although it certainly doesn't help that he isn't a Hollywood insider.

I was a little surprised TPM didn't get the oscar for sfx, but I didn't think it deserved any of the other technical awards, especially sound and cinematography. The Matrix had unbelievable sound, and TPM, although undeniably beautiful to look at, was a little too unorganic to be recognized for cinematography.

As for score, no way it deserved a nomination, IMHO. Aside from Duel of the Fates and maybe Anakin's theme, I thought John Williams failed miserably with that score. I loved TPM, but I thought the score really brought down the movie.

And for those who don't have anything good to say about LOTR, I think you guys are all in for a big treat with TTT (as I think we are with AOTC). TTT is by far my favorite of the three books. The story really opens up and becomes truly epic with TTT, and the storyline with Frodo/Sam/Gollum will be amazing. Alas, the Academy will probably pass it up for something completely forgettable, a la A Beautiful Mind.

17. Duckman

Duckman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2000
    TPM deserved to win:
    Score
    Visual Effects
    Sound
    Sound Effects Editing
    Costume Design

Fact: the Oscars got it wrong, and they probably will for AOTC too.

18. Vermano

Vermano Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 7, 1999
    The oscars are a joke. Have you SEEN some of the nonsense pictures that have actually won. Did you see "The English Patient"? It could have won a medical award as an insomnia treatment, but best picture??!! As far as I'm concerned, Lucas deserves a better paperweight than oscar.

19. Padawan92

Padawan92 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2001
    Knowing how the oscars are 1 if you are lucky.

20. Radiohead

Radiohead Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 31, 2002
    AOTC will get a nomination in at least all of the technical categories (effects, sound, etc.) I'd say editing, costumes, art direction, things like that are also a possibility.

21. KNIMBLEKNIGHT

Mar 8, 2002
    Duckman - don't say your opinions are facts. There's no better way to lose credibility.

My opinion: TPM's score was subpar. John Williams dropped the ball, and there's no way it even deserved an Oscar nomination.

My opinion: The Matrix had mind-boggling, never before heard sound effects. TPM's sound was good, but The Matrix's sound was better.

I agree with SFX. TPM was a landmark visually - way more impressive than The Matrix or anything else that came out that year.

FACT: People have different opinions, and your opinions are not always FACTS.

22. Darth_AntP

Darth_AntP Jedi Youngling

May 7, 2002
    Attack of the clones will get 15 nominations and win 14. I have seen into the future with the force. **** this load of poo i am off.

edit for language

23. Jedi knight Pozzi

Apr 2, 2000
    I'm glad your opinion on the score is just your opinion KNIMBLEKNIGHT. ;)

Duel of the Fates (for me) should have won, because it was more energized and different than anything else heard in years.

Also (my opinion ;) ) TPM should have won the sound FX as I believe Lucas wanted the right sound system installed so everyone could experience it.

Visual FXs were great and more useful, but it was evolution not revolution.
    ---------------------------

Anyway, the real reson for this post: Would the chap above like to re-edit his post. :)

24. KNIMBLEKNIGHT

Mar 8, 2002
    I definitely agree that Duel of the Fates was great. Was it nominated individually for song? It was just the rest of the score that I didn't find particularly impressive. But I guess we are getting way off topic here, so let me say that I hope that John Williams does deliver with the AOTC score and that it will win Best Score next year, unless of course Howard Shore outdoes himself with the score for TTT!

25. Jedi knight Pozzi

Apr 2, 2000
    DOTF missed completely. :(

Across The Stars seems to be loved, but it's not as different as Duel was. My guess: Nomination, but not a winner.

Other guesses without actually watching the film.

Best Picture: Because everyone is talking about it so well.
    Best Director: Based solely on the trailers. GL some some good vision.
    Best FX: A working Yoda could help win this.

Can't think of other awards it could win.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.